Babies & All
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome PageSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog inHome

Share | 

To sell or not to sell?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 

Similar topics

+
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
MrsDebs

MrsDebs

About Me!
My Name: Debs
Number of Children: 2

Edit MY profile

To sell or not to sell? _
PostSubject: To sell or not to sell?   To sell or not to sell? EmptyThu Apr 14, 2011 8:08 pm

I have been having a big clear out of the kids clothes etc and have found Hannah's Christening gown in the back of her wardrobe. It's a stunning Sarah Louise gown and I love it but I'm wondering whether I should sell it or keep it?

I wont be having more babies so it wont get used again so seems a waste to shove it in a bag up the loft or leave it to get eaten by moths in her wardrobe. But another part of me says it has sentimental value and should be kept To sell or not to sell? 548646 it's far too nice (and expensive Shocked) to let her dress her dolls in it when she's older but would likely be old fashioned by the time she has her own kids.

What would you do?

xx
Back to top Go down
banarama

banarama

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: To sell or not to sell?   To sell or not to sell? EmptyThu Apr 14, 2011 8:14 pm

Aw i would keep it. hopefully she could use it for her babies but my oh would try to make me sell it lol
Back to top Go down
Mrs Cruise & Dee

Mrs Cruise & Dee

About Me!
My Name:
Number of Children: 3

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: To sell or not to sell?   To sell or not to sell? EmptyThu Apr 14, 2011 8:23 pm

awww , i would keep it , you never know it may be dated by the time she has children but for she may want to use it for sentimental reasons and then her children after that ! ,,,, you may just have started a family heirloom Smile
Back to top Go down
Jade

Jade

About Me!
My Name: Jade
Number of Children: 1

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: To sell or not to sell?   To sell or not to sell? EmptyThu Apr 14, 2011 8:41 pm

I would keep it to... it might not be outdated when she has children. she might love it Smile
it's not exactly going to take up a huge amount of space is it... but I'm a bugger for keeping everything.
Back to top Go down

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: To sell or not to sell?   To sell or not to sell? EmptyThu Apr 14, 2011 8:57 pm

I'd sell it.

I kept charlotte's as it very expensive and so beautiful (at the time)!! Anyways got it out for ellie (18 years later) and it's bloody awful lol. Charlotte was horrified that I dressed her in such a hidious dress. My darling 13 year old son said it looked like a crusty egg (doesn't look anything like a crusty egg).

So now I'm stuck with it, as I'd feel a bit bad putting it in the bin!

But I did keep charlottes shawls and used them for both Paul and ellie.

x
Back to top Go down
Clare

Clare

About Me!
My Name: Clare

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: To sell or not to sell?   To sell or not to sell? EmptyThu Apr 14, 2011 9:25 pm

i'd keep it, i kept my wedding dress and i suppose its a bit like that, what to do with things like that.

my mom very cleverly made my christening gown out of her wedding dress.

but me i'm a keeper about those sorts of things anyway
Back to top Go down
olliesmammy

olliesmammy

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: To sell or not to sell?   To sell or not to sell? EmptyThu Apr 14, 2011 9:27 pm

I'd sell it but I'm not one for keeping anything x
Back to top Go down

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: To sell or not to sell?   To sell or not to sell? EmptyFri Apr 15, 2011 12:15 am

Deb's what has happened is that you have put your happy memories of Hannah's christening into the dress so are keeping it because it reminds you of a happy day.

Do you have something small from the christening that you could transfer the memories to and keep that?

I had this problem with my wedding dress and one day I found the fabric sample I had used to match shoes etc with it and transferred my memories into that instead. The fabric sample lives in my memories box and will still be there when I take my box to my nursing home.

The alternative is you sell it and buy something beautiful with the proceeds to keep the memory in.
Back to top Go down
mandy

mandy

About Me!
My Name: Mandy

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: To sell or not to sell?   To sell or not to sell? EmptyFri Apr 15, 2011 12:57 am

Could you not keep it to use as a family christening dress? Chloe's christening dress was one that has been in Matt's family for 50 years, it's probably classed as old fashioned but it's a very traditional dress and I liked the fact that it's been passed down x
Back to top Go down
http://www.amandascakes.co.uk
Lisa
Admin
Lisa

About Me!
My Name: Lisa

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: To sell or not to sell?   To sell or not to sell? EmptyFri Apr 15, 2011 1:17 am

I would keep it - lots of dresses for Christenings are timeless - the one I had as a baby would have looked fine now, and im sure if it had been packed away in the right paper and airtight then 30 years later I could have used if I needed to.

I think I'd rather have the option to offer it to her later then get rid.
Back to top Go down
http://www.babiesandall.co.uk
Amandaplus2

Amandaplus2

About Me!
My Name: Amanda

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: To sell or not to sell?   To sell or not to sell? EmptyFri Apr 15, 2011 2:22 am

I would keep it. I have kept the boys outfit they both wore on the christenings and will put it in their memory boxes x
Back to top Go down
Laura

Laura

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: To sell or not to sell?   To sell or not to sell? EmptyFri Apr 15, 2011 6:32 am

I think you should keep it.

I have kept Aimee's naming day dress, and as much as I think about getting rid of it, I just cant.

x
Back to top Go down
happy

happy

About Me!
My Name: Becci

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: To sell or not to sell?   To sell or not to sell? EmptyFri Apr 15, 2011 6:38 am

i would keep it and put it in their memory box x
Back to top Go down
MrsDebs

MrsDebs

About Me!

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: To sell or not to sell?   To sell or not to sell? EmptyFri Apr 15, 2011 6:53 am

Thanks ladies. I'm still umming and ahhing bout this one.

I've got it hanging in front of me and it really is pretty and I keep looking at it thinking that it would be such a waste for it to be shoved in a bag somewhere rather than someone getting some use and pleasure out of it. But I also think it's got sentimental value and I should keep it for Hannah when she is older.

I have to say though that my mum kept my mine and my brothers gowns and I had to find a way of politely declining her offer for my kids to wear them Neutral I know it's a lovely sentiment and all that but they were just hideous (they would have been lovely in their day) and old fasioned To sell or not to sell? 548646 (I sound really ungrateful don't I?) I don't want to thrust this on Hannah in 30 years time (and no sooner thankyou very much Razz) and put her in a position where she has to try to say no without upsetting me Rolling Eyes

It's a bit big for a memory box. I do have both kids christening shawls and would never part with them - they are beautiful and would probably prefer for those to become heirlooms as they were handknitted for them by a family friend and tbh are works of art To sell or not to sell? 270211

Argh - what to do?! I will probably be the same with my wedding dress Rolling Eyes

Just out of interest - if you have been married - what have you done with your dress?

xx
Back to top Go down
pinkyd

pinkyd

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: To sell or not to sell?   To sell or not to sell? EmptyFri Apr 15, 2011 6:56 am

debs i was just going to post about my wedding dress, i'm not getting ava christened but its sort of the same scenario.

I had every plans to sell mine but I couldn't do it, i kept imagining awful people turning up at my house to buy it and I couldnt bear it, mind you 7 years later its gathering dust in the wardrobe. I also kept my wedding shoes.
Back to top Go down
MrsDebs

MrsDebs

About Me!

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: To sell or not to sell?   To sell or not to sell? EmptyFri Apr 15, 2011 7:00 am

Lol Jo - do your post - it would be interesting to read.

I think I would probably feel better about it if I sold it to someone who I knew would care.

xx
Back to top Go down
mariheartselijah

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: To sell or not to sell?   To sell or not to sell? EmptyFri Apr 15, 2011 7:02 am

my dress is hanging up....but i deliberately bought a dress that i could use again (haha if only my arse would agree to fit into it!) so i wouldn't really have a problem selling it but i don't think i would find any buyers!
Back to top Go down
pinkyd

pinkyd

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: To sell or not to sell?   To sell or not to sell? EmptyFri Apr 15, 2011 7:08 am

I would have to know it was going to a good home though, i cant bear to give ava's clothes to the local charity shops incase i see chavvy kids in them when i'm at the supermarket Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Amy

Amy

About Me!
My Name: Amy

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: To sell or not to sell?   To sell or not to sell? EmptyFri Apr 15, 2011 7:10 am

ive still got my wedding dress but im sure itll come to the day when i will sell it. it seems pointless keeping it.my mam gkept my christening and gown and i had to politely turn her down when she said i cud use it for alfie. i know u think that u could pass it on but do u think ure children wud accept it or wouold want to buy their own outfits? x
Back to top Go down
mariheartselijah

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: To sell or not to sell?   To sell or not to sell? EmptyFri Apr 15, 2011 7:15 am

Quote :
I would have to know it was going to a good home though, i cant bear to
give ava's clothes to the local charity shops incase i see chavvy kids
in them when i'm at the supermarket Embarassed
omg jo you're a megasnob!!! Laughing you will get on well with pixel Wink
Back to top Go down
MrsDebs

MrsDebs

About Me!

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: To sell or not to sell?   To sell or not to sell? EmptyFri Apr 15, 2011 7:21 am

Oh dear I think I may be a "megasnob" too Embarassed I know exactly what you mean Jo To sell or not to sell? 548646

xx
Back to top Go down
Kate

Kate

About Me!
My Name: Kate

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: To sell or not to sell?   To sell or not to sell? EmptyFri Apr 15, 2011 7:30 am

I am in the megasnob club too i'm afraid!

I personally would sell the christening dress purely because if it is so pretty i think i would prefer to think that someone else had the pleasure of seeing their little girl in it rather than it going yellow and mank in my wardrobe.

In terms of wedding dress (i am divorced now) i did sell it not long after the wedding as in reality what was i going to do with it, I got about £700 for it and we put it towards a holiday! xx
Back to top Go down
XxCHARnNOAHxX

XxCHARnNOAHxX

About Me!
My Name: Charmaine

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: To sell or not to sell?   To sell or not to sell? EmptyFri Apr 15, 2011 7:36 am

I would keep it as i think it is a sentimental thing. How much is it worth is it worth selling it?

Char
Back to top Go down
CarlaAndCallum

CarlaAndCallum

About Me!
My Name: Carla

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: To sell or not to sell?   To sell or not to sell? EmptyFri Apr 15, 2011 7:37 am

think i would have to keep it x but ive literally got everything callum has owned still Shocked
Back to top Go down
MrsDebs

MrsDebs

About Me!

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: To sell or not to sell?   To sell or not to sell? EmptyFri Apr 15, 2011 7:38 am

Yeah that's my point Kate - well I think it's pretty anyway Embarassed Laughing maybe others wouldn't so might be wasting my time even trying To sell or not to sell? 548646

I'm not even married yet and here I am sat thinking I could sell my wedding dress Laughing.

xx
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: To sell or not to sell?   To sell or not to sell? Empty

Back to top Go down

To sell or not to sell?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Babies & All :: General Chat :: The Lounge-
Latest topics
» Spotting
To sell or not to sell? Emptyby Marie-Pier Tue May 01, 2018 12:31 pm

» Help You Save The Expense Of Wedding Dress
To sell or not to sell? Emptyby thefashion Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:09 pm

» Select from online wedding dress stores
To sell or not to sell? Emptyby dfwre Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:52 pm

» A wide collection of Wedding Decoration Ideas
To sell or not to sell? Emptyby sahalegail Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:29 pm

» Casual wedding dress in higher need?
To sell or not to sell? Emptyby dfwre Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:18 pm

» An Amazing collection of Wedding Decoration
To sell or not to sell? Emptyby sahalegail Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:12 pm

» Teddy Bears Picnic Party Supplies?
To sell or not to sell? Emptyby sahalegail Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:39 am

» baby esme grace
To sell or not to sell? Emptyby liberty Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:01 am

» For Sell:Stokke XPLORY Stroller/Bugaboo camel
To sell or not to sell? Emptyby garyboatner Thu May 02, 2013 5:28 pm

» For Sell:Stokke XPLORY Stroller/Bugaboo camel
To sell or not to sell? Emptyby garyboatner Thu May 02, 2013 5:27 pm

» Natures Sway Hammock & Stand
To sell or not to sell? Emptyby Tell Wed May 01, 2013 8:22 pm

» Banda mobile
To sell or not to sell? Emptyby EmVar Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:50 am

» is it enough at 10 weeks?
To sell or not to sell? Emptyby char w Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:02 pm

» Merry Christmas
To sell or not to sell? Emptyby Lisa Tue Dec 25, 2012 3:07 am

» Are Nativity Plays Still Compulsory?
To sell or not to sell? Emptyby Emmylou Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:14 am

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Most Viewed Topics
Introduce Yourself!
September 2009 mummies
10 Illegal baby names
New Weight Watchers ProPoints plan explained.
Cheesy Party songs (90s)
say hello to the sun baby sensory song???
Whats the first thing you think of?
Banda Night In ladies (pics included)
pro points calculator
Most active topics
September 2009 mummies
Introduce Yourself!
Whats the first thing you think of?
Bin it or eat it
Change the letter.
Girls and boys names.
which one???
Count to a 1000 in words