Babies & All
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome PageSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog inHome

Share | 

how cheap is too cheap for a car?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 

Similar topics

+
AuthorMessage
mariheartselijah

Edit MY profile

how cheap is too cheap for a car? _
PostSubject: how cheap is too cheap for a car?   how cheap is too cheap for a car? EmptySat Jul 02, 2011 11:54 pm

we are thinking of selling our beloved ford focus as we can't afford the next lot of road tax and can't really afford to run it if we don't need it just now...but we were looking at other used cars, some start at £700+ which we could afford and still have money left over....but i do feel that there is such a thing as 'too cheap' when it comes to cars........what do you think?
Back to top Go down
liberty

liberty

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: how cheap is too cheap for a car?   how cheap is too cheap for a car? EmptySun Jul 03, 2011 12:30 am

Our car was 900 5 years ago and hasn't really needed anything done despite it being old (1996)
Back to top Go down

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: how cheap is too cheap for a car?   how cheap is too cheap for a car? EmptySun Jul 03, 2011 12:43 am

I think its all luck.

We bought my daughter a fiat punto (w reg 2000) when she passed her test a year ago, it cost us £1k it was great and kept her on the road doing a fair few miles and never let her down. A few weeks ago the exhaust started to hang off so we scrapped it. Im sure it would have been ok if we'd have put an exhaust on it but oh reckoned that soon everything would start to go wrong with it and she travels a quite far to work so we didnt want to risk her breaking down on the motorway all on her own.

I do think there are some bargains out there.
Back to top Go down
snoopy21

About Me!
My Name:
Number of Children: 1

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: how cheap is too cheap for a car?   how cheap is too cheap for a car? EmptySun Jul 03, 2011 12:47 am

I have a peugeot 106 (2002), with only about 50 000 miles on it. Its runs like a wee gem and im annoyed at the idea of having to sell it - but 3 door is getting less and less practical as I expand and Caitlin contorts being put in the seat. Id prob only get £700-£800 for it but whoever gets it will be getting a good car. I left it out for weeks unused in the snow and it still started first go.

Im looking at 5 door 2001 megane with 50 000 miles for £900, but like you im a bit worried it will end up needing work done repeatedly.

I can see both sides to it, but personally if its what you can afford, and practical for what you need I would go for it. My friends who have 3 or 4 yr old cars seem to have more problems than I do with my car. I think sometimes older cars were made better and less likely to have problems with electrics etc. Take a look at how many miles are on the car (to me this is more important than age) and whether they have had the timing belt (or is it fan belt?) replaced recently - I know most go at around 50 000 miles so if thats been replaced fingers crossed you shouldnt have too much trouble.

Can I just add I know feck all about cars and have got that information from conversations with FIL and my mechanic (friends dad) when iv been thinking about changing my car.
Back to top Go down
Shell

Shell

About Me!
My Name: Michelle
Number of Children: 2

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: how cheap is too cheap for a car?   how cheap is too cheap for a car? EmptySun Jul 03, 2011 1:53 am

Like Penny said it's about luck really. Who is selling what and why. Mine and Matts first car was a Renault clio, was about 12yrs old but not many miles and ran great, that was only £350 and we actually sold it for £400.

The car we have at the moment, 2003 seat leon we got for £950 when all the others of the same age were going for about £1500. We've had no problems with it.

You can get some great deals just make sure you take someone you knows a bit about cars to view it.
Back to top Go down
Amandaplus2

Amandaplus2

About Me!
My Name: Amanda

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: how cheap is too cheap for a car?   how cheap is too cheap for a car? EmptySun Jul 03, 2011 7:38 am

My oh bought an old BMW as a runaround to get to work for £495 about 3 years ago and we still have it x
Back to top Go down
Lisa
Admin
Lisa

About Me!
My Name: Lisa

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: how cheap is too cheap for a car?   how cheap is too cheap for a car? EmptySun Jul 03, 2011 8:44 am

When I left my job that had a company car I had £500 to buy and tax a car.. I bought a Renault Megane on ebay from down the road for £400 ...I had it almost 3 years and then the head gasket blew on it...so it 'cost' me (minus the usual stuff cars need) £2.50 a week while I had it!

I don't go very far in my car, as we live in town, and if I go anywhere far I just hire a car...so it doesn't matter to me about having a nice car..I'd rather spend the money on other things that get used for more than 5 minutes a day!
Back to top Go down
http://www.babiesandall.co.uk
Mrs Cruise & Dee

Mrs Cruise & Dee

About Me!
My Name:
Number of Children: 3

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: how cheap is too cheap for a car?   how cheap is too cheap for a car? EmptySun Jul 03, 2011 9:46 am

guess it depends who you know
my father is in the know with cars , he bought my scenic for me for a grand total of £200 ! albeit with no mot but it sailed through test and recently passed another one Smile
my dad buys insurance write offs not ones you would deem unsafe but ones with a dent in wing or or one that was stolen and just had the lock busted, he gets near brand new cars for a few hundred quid and puts them back on the road , he does not charge silly money for them either , he just enjoys doing it Smile
Back to top Go down
gemz

gemz

About Me!
My Name: gemma

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: how cheap is too cheap for a car?   how cheap is too cheap for a car? EmptyMon Jul 04, 2011 6:06 am

like the others said its luck really and who you know...i got my 1st car (r reg punto...4 years ago) for £100 off my cousine, it sailed through the mot and lasted me over a year with no problems...my second car was also a r reg punto, paid £650 and had nothing but trouble from day one and had to scrap it the second time the head gasket went Rolling Eyes x
Back to top Go down
jessicar1990

jessicar1990

About Me!
My Name: Jessica

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: how cheap is too cheap for a car?   how cheap is too cheap for a car? EmptyMon Jul 04, 2011 10:01 am

my mums got a renault megane 2008, and paid about £8000 for it, its shit!!! it always has stuff wrong with it! I think, If you had an expensive car, and a cheap one, youd be so much more pissed off if something broke on the expensive one!
Back to top Go down
mariheartselijah

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: how cheap is too cheap for a car?   how cheap is too cheap for a car? EmptyMon Jul 04, 2011 7:40 pm

haha i hadn't thought of it that way jessica, but you are right! hmm we looked at the list price and could potentially only get just over 1000 for our car, but even if we went without a car for a while it would save us about 100 a month on insurance tax and petrol.....hm
Back to top Go down
Shell

Shell

About Me!

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: how cheap is too cheap for a car?   how cheap is too cheap for a car? EmptyMon Jul 04, 2011 8:02 pm

I wish we could live without a car. It costs so much money, £57 insurance, £70 petrol every 2weeks ish and then tax. It's ridiculous.
Back to top Go down
mariheartselijah

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: how cheap is too cheap for a car?   how cheap is too cheap for a car? EmptyMon Jul 04, 2011 9:39 pm

we couldnt long term shell but for a couple of months we could manage (not happily, but we could!)
Back to top Go down
Shell

Shell

About Me!

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: how cheap is too cheap for a car?   how cheap is too cheap for a car? EmptyTue Jul 05, 2011 12:17 am

I don't think we could even cope for a week. but thats probably more about us.
Back to top Go down
XxCHARnNOAHxX

XxCHARnNOAHxX

About Me!
My Name: Charmaine

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: how cheap is too cheap for a car?   how cheap is too cheap for a car? EmptyTue Jul 05, 2011 4:49 am

Hi Hun, i am in the same boat looking for a new car. Mine is great, its just pasts its MOT and have had no problems with it. BUts its only a 3 door 4 seater and far too small now.

I went to a garage today and seen a Ford feista 03 plate, 1.4 litre low miles 5 dr up for £2999. He said he would have my car which is a citreon C2 04 1.1 litre £2500 which is great, but wanted £500 on top.

So i phoned my insurance company to get a quote i pay £61 a month at the moment for mine.
They said the insurance would be £118 a month on the car due to engine size i nearly died lol. how cheap is too cheap for a car? 633833 so that was out the window. It did seem to good to be ture tho. Its like my car runs great and i am scared incase get a car that needs more work on it.

So even tho u might find a bargin, dont forget to get a insurance quote.

Char
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: how cheap is too cheap for a car?   how cheap is too cheap for a car? Empty

Back to top Go down

how cheap is too cheap for a car?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Babies & All :: General Chat :: The Lounge-
Latest topics
» Spotting
how cheap is too cheap for a car? Emptyby Marie-Pier Tue May 01, 2018 12:31 pm

» Help You Save The Expense Of Wedding Dress
how cheap is too cheap for a car? Emptyby thefashion Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:09 pm

» Select from online wedding dress stores
how cheap is too cheap for a car? Emptyby dfwre Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:52 pm

» A wide collection of Wedding Decoration Ideas
how cheap is too cheap for a car? Emptyby sahalegail Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:29 pm

» Casual wedding dress in higher need?
how cheap is too cheap for a car? Emptyby dfwre Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:18 pm

» An Amazing collection of Wedding Decoration
how cheap is too cheap for a car? Emptyby sahalegail Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:12 pm

» Teddy Bears Picnic Party Supplies?
how cheap is too cheap for a car? Emptyby sahalegail Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:39 am

» baby esme grace
how cheap is too cheap for a car? Emptyby liberty Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:01 am

» For Sell:Stokke XPLORY Stroller/Bugaboo camel
how cheap is too cheap for a car? Emptyby garyboatner Thu May 02, 2013 5:28 pm

» For Sell:Stokke XPLORY Stroller/Bugaboo camel
how cheap is too cheap for a car? Emptyby garyboatner Thu May 02, 2013 5:27 pm

» Natures Sway Hammock & Stand
how cheap is too cheap for a car? Emptyby Tell Wed May 01, 2013 8:22 pm

» Banda mobile
how cheap is too cheap for a car? Emptyby EmVar Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:50 am

» is it enough at 10 weeks?
how cheap is too cheap for a car? Emptyby char w Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:02 pm

» Merry Christmas
how cheap is too cheap for a car? Emptyby Lisa Tue Dec 25, 2012 3:07 am

» Are Nativity Plays Still Compulsory?
how cheap is too cheap for a car? Emptyby Emmylou Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:14 am

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Most Viewed Topics
Introduce Yourself!
September 2009 mummies
10 Illegal baby names
New Weight Watchers ProPoints plan explained.
Cheesy Party songs (90s)
say hello to the sun baby sensory song???
Whats the first thing you think of?
Banda Night In ladies (pics included)
pro points calculator
Most active topics
September 2009 mummies
Introduce Yourself!
Whats the first thing you think of?
Bin it or eat it
Change the letter.
Girls and boys names.
which one???
Count to a 1000 in words