Babies & All
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome PageSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog inHome

Share | 

can anyone recommend me a good book?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 

Similar topics

+
AuthorMessage
mariheartselijah

Edit MY profile

can anyone recommend me a good book? _
PostSubject: can anyone recommend me a good book?   can anyone recommend me a good book? EmptySun Aug 14, 2011 8:03 am

i just finished stephen fry's 'making history' and liked it a lot.....i also love tove jansson's adult fiction, liked the book thief, the book of lost things, fingersmith....umm yeah, anyone read and liked any of those that can recommend a book i can't be arsed being sold rubbish by amazon/waterstones!
Back to top Go down
stephandhannah

stephandhannah

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: can anyone recommend me a good book?   can anyone recommend me a good book? EmptySun Aug 14, 2011 8:09 am

I read a book recently called room by emma donaghue which was really good.

Im reading a book just now called its your time your wasting by frank chalk - its like the diary of a teacher. its very amusing
x
Back to top Go down
pixel

About Me!
My Name:
Number of Children: 0

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: can anyone recommend me a good book?   can anyone recommend me a good book? EmptySun Aug 14, 2011 8:11 am

what genre are you into?
Back to top Go down
mariheartselijah

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: can anyone recommend me a good book?   can anyone recommend me a good book? EmptySun Aug 14, 2011 8:27 am

my genre is 'otherwise unspecified' haha er i dont know really thats the prob. not crime and not child abuse which seems to be quite 'in' at the moment!!!

at the moment after raking through the bookshelf i have found 'Tanakh - the jewish bible' and 'a world of difference' an anthology of short stories from 5 continents......um might give the latter a go the former sounds a bit heavy for a saturday night
Back to top Go down
pixel

About Me!
My Name:

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: can anyone recommend me a good book?   can anyone recommend me a good book? EmptySun Aug 14, 2011 8:48 am

I generally read fantasy geek type books can anyone recommend me a good book? 460546
Back to top Go down
mariheartselijah

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: can anyone recommend me a good book?   can anyone recommend me a good book? EmptySun Aug 14, 2011 8:52 am

oooh what were those books called where you had to make a choice and it told you which number of page to turn to depending on what you chose?
Back to top Go down
pixel

About Me!
My Name:

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: can anyone recommend me a good book?   can anyone recommend me a good book? EmptySun Aug 14, 2011 8:58 am

oh yeah, like in Big? they were awesome..... but I never had one Sad

I'm reading the Song of Ice and Fire series just now can anyone recommend me a good book? 460546
Back to top Go down
mariheartselijah

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: can anyone recommend me a good book?   can anyone recommend me a good book? EmptySun Aug 14, 2011 9:10 am

hmmmm john was trying to get me to read a pratchett novel he has but im not sure. the stephen fry one was surprisingly good considering it was about history and time travel - not my normal subjects but i couldn't put it down Very Happy
Back to top Go down
pixel

About Me!
My Name:

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: can anyone recommend me a good book?   can anyone recommend me a good book? EmptySun Aug 14, 2011 9:12 am

did you imagine him reading it? I love Stephen Fry
Back to top Go down
snoopy21

About Me!
My Name:
Number of Children: 1

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: can anyone recommend me a good book?   can anyone recommend me a good book? EmptySun Aug 14, 2011 9:39 am

http://www.google.co.uk/search?aq=1&oq=chose+your+o&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=choose+your+own+adventure+books#q=choose+your+own+adventure+books&hl=en&prmd=ivnsb&source=univ&tbm=shop&tbo=u&sa=X&ei=2fxGTvqWEsS0hAfSkdCrBg&ved=0CFIQrQQ&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=7fe93be88bdc22ed&biw=1366&bih=667

Erm that link looks huge Doh
Back to top Go down
Clare

Clare

About Me!
My Name: Clare
Number of Children: 2

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: can anyone recommend me a good book?   can anyone recommend me a good book? EmptySun Aug 14, 2011 5:51 pm

i'm a romantic fiction reader, particially jilly cooper or danielle steel, but prefer the ones with the history in them,

just read "a good woman" about a priveledge girl and set in the first world war, quite enjoyed it.
Back to top Go down
mariheartselijah

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: can anyone recommend me a good book?   can anyone recommend me a good book? EmptySun Aug 14, 2011 6:56 pm

you would probably quite like sarah waters then clare, very readable and actually good books (although, i will warn you they all seem to have at least one lesbian sex scene squeezed into it...not quite sure why i think think ms.waters has a point to prove!).

Quote :
did you imagine him reading it? I love Stephen Fry
i did!!! i couldn't get his voice out of my head til at least halfway through the book, but the main character was pretty similar to him (cambridge student writing a thesis) although he used words like 'cool' and 'dude' which i couldn't quite assimilate with stephen fry's voice!
Back to top Go down
mariheartselijah

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: can anyone recommend me a good book?   can anyone recommend me a good book? EmptySun Aug 14, 2011 6:57 pm

p.s those are them snoops! i loved them when i was little, i used to re-read them and make different decisions so i had read the whole book haha
Back to top Go down
Kate

Kate

About Me!
My Name: Kate

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: can anyone recommend me a good book?   can anyone recommend me a good book? EmptySun Aug 14, 2011 10:10 pm

I like a lot of the books that you have mentioned. Have you read A thousand splendid suns by Khalid Hosseni (sp) it is a great book and i actually cried at it which i dont normally do. Also the Shadow of the wind by carlos ruiz zafon is a good book
Back to top Go down
mariheartselijah

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: can anyone recommend me a good book?   can anyone recommend me a good book? EmptySun Aug 14, 2011 11:02 pm

oooooh i will have a look for them kate thank you Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Pepper

Pepper

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: can anyone recommend me a good book?   can anyone recommend me a good book? EmptyMon Aug 15, 2011 11:14 pm

I just read the book thief - I'm not a huge book reader but this was good...but sad in parts

xx
Back to top Go down
CarlaAndCallum

CarlaAndCallum

About Me!
My Name: Carla

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: can anyone recommend me a good book?   can anyone recommend me a good book? EmptyTue Aug 16, 2011 1:18 am

I dont think yould like the books i read im into authors like Sophie Kinsella and Jane Green.

I love Cecila ahearn and her magical books as i call them x
Back to top Go down
Mario

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: can anyone recommend me a good book?   can anyone recommend me a good book? EmptyTue Aug 16, 2011 1:30 am

Theres something about Kevin by lionel shriver
Back to top Go down
Mario

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: can anyone recommend me a good book?   can anyone recommend me a good book? EmptyTue Aug 16, 2011 1:30 am

marioandthestuntbubs wrote:
Theres something about Kevin by lionel shriver

We need to talk about kevin even
Back to top Go down
mariheartselijah

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: can anyone recommend me a good book?   can anyone recommend me a good book? EmptyTue Aug 16, 2011 1:58 am

oooh mario i just googled that - sounds rather appealing actually!

i rummaged last night and found 'the story giant' but ive nearly finished it already, its a nice collection of stories but not very involving really.

i really liked the book thief pepper, and the book of lost things, the book thief was one of those that i sort of wish i could read again but i can never do that with books!

i have also picked up tove tansson's winter book as i had forgotten (new baby at the time!) i hadn't actually finished it, i love her scandinavian world Very Happy (minus the moomins in the adult books Wink)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: can anyone recommend me a good book?   can anyone recommend me a good book? Empty

Back to top Go down

can anyone recommend me a good book?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Babies & All :: General Chat :: The Lounge-
Latest topics
» Spotting
can anyone recommend me a good book? Emptyby Marie-Pier Tue May 01, 2018 12:31 pm

» Help You Save The Expense Of Wedding Dress
can anyone recommend me a good book? Emptyby thefashion Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:09 pm

» Select from online wedding dress stores
can anyone recommend me a good book? Emptyby dfwre Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:52 pm

» A wide collection of Wedding Decoration Ideas
can anyone recommend me a good book? Emptyby sahalegail Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:29 pm

» Casual wedding dress in higher need?
can anyone recommend me a good book? Emptyby dfwre Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:18 pm

» An Amazing collection of Wedding Decoration
can anyone recommend me a good book? Emptyby sahalegail Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:12 pm

» Teddy Bears Picnic Party Supplies?
can anyone recommend me a good book? Emptyby sahalegail Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:39 am

» baby esme grace
can anyone recommend me a good book? Emptyby liberty Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:01 am

» For Sell:Stokke XPLORY Stroller/Bugaboo camel
can anyone recommend me a good book? Emptyby garyboatner Thu May 02, 2013 5:28 pm

» For Sell:Stokke XPLORY Stroller/Bugaboo camel
can anyone recommend me a good book? Emptyby garyboatner Thu May 02, 2013 5:27 pm

» Natures Sway Hammock & Stand
can anyone recommend me a good book? Emptyby Tell Wed May 01, 2013 8:22 pm

» Banda mobile
can anyone recommend me a good book? Emptyby EmVar Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:50 am

» is it enough at 10 weeks?
can anyone recommend me a good book? Emptyby char w Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:02 pm

» Merry Christmas
can anyone recommend me a good book? Emptyby Lisa Tue Dec 25, 2012 3:07 am

» Are Nativity Plays Still Compulsory?
can anyone recommend me a good book? Emptyby Emmylou Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:14 am

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Most Viewed Topics
Introduce Yourself!
September 2009 mummies
10 Illegal baby names
New Weight Watchers ProPoints plan explained.
Cheesy Party songs (90s)
say hello to the sun baby sensory song???
Whats the first thing you think of?
Banda Night In ladies (pics included)
pro points calculator
Most active topics
September 2009 mummies
Introduce Yourself!
Whats the first thing you think of?
Bin it or eat it
Change the letter.
Girls and boys names.
which one???
Count to a 1000 in words