Babies & All
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome PageSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog inHome

Share | 

what do you think to this?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
mariheartselijah

Edit MY profile

what do you think to this?  _
PostSubject: what do you think to this?    what do you think to this?  EmptySat Oct 29, 2011 8:17 am

http://uk.lifestyle.yahoo.com/babies--should-sleep-in-mother-s-bed-until-age-three-.html

bit of a weird one, i know i wouldn't have been comfortable with elijah in bed with us until he was much older, it wasn't until he was over 1 that we gave in and he pretty much sleeps with us most of the time now - i do feel he is old enough to wriggle around and is not in any danger (i literally don't move in my sleep now, i think i am programmed not to) but i didn't feel safe doing it when he was tiny.
Back to top Go down

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: what do you think to this?    what do you think to this?  EmptySat Oct 29, 2011 8:26 am

I was led to believe that it was a definite no no and one of the main causes of SIDS due to the baby overheating or being crushed! I never had Ellie in with me for that reason!
Back to top Go down
Lisa
Admin
Lisa

About Me!
My Name: Lisa
Number of Children: 1

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: what do you think to this?    what do you think to this?  EmptySat Oct 29, 2011 8:37 am

I think its BS!

Izzy went in her cot at 2 months AND in her own room...she had no issues, and slept the whole night, by 3 months she slept 12 hours...so how exactly can it be bad that a baby gets plenty of sleep that it needs?!

Don't know about any one else but the main reason I moved Izzy from the basket next to me into her own room was cause we constantly disrupted each others sleep - Id make a noise and disturb her and vic versa...so how can this section make any sense? Maybe some babies don't sleep so well on their own, but most do!

''Just six babies in the research group had a quiet night's sleep on their own.

The
study also revealed disruption to the brain sleep cycle, which is vital
in the organ's development, in babies sleeping in cots.

Dr Bergman warned that a lack of sleep at this stage could cause behavioural problems for the child in later life.
Disrupted sleep and stress to the heart could make it difficult for them to form relationships, he claimed.'

Would also like to point out that the majority of us were 'cot in nursery' dwellers as thats just what was done in our parents generation of parenting ... and ermm well I don't think most of us have behavioural issues!

Also it pees me off when SIDS caused in the bed is almost always blamed on something else other than just that the mother suffocated it...they so rarely say the mother just rolled on/up to the baby - they always seem to find something else... NO sorry I really do believe mothers can just roll on to/up to their baby and not wake up..why do I think that...because I know that if I am sound asleep with no big pillow, toys, drugs or drink to blame - I could easily roll up against a baby's face with out realising - a boob in a baby's face for a few minutes would be enough to suffocate it. So I totally agree that babies in bed in dangerous and that there doesn't have to be something 'extra' to blame for SIDS in bed.

I really do hate this kind of crap!
Back to top Go down
http://www.babiesandall.co.uk
Kell

Kell

About Me!
My Name: Kelly
Number of Children: 2

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: what do you think to this?    what do you think to this?  EmptySat Oct 29, 2011 8:42 am

I think it could lead to major separation anxiety issues! I breastfed Charlie so quite often had him sleep beside me, but never in the bed with oh as well.
Tommy slept in the bed with me quite alot more so than Charlie. I never slept properly tho and tended to put them into their beds after a little while anyway.
I think it'll be a very very long time before this is actually oked as IMO 16 isn't a big enough research group!
Back to top Go down
Lisa
Admin
Lisa

About Me!

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: what do you think to this?    what do you think to this?  EmptySat Oct 29, 2011 8:44 am

I agree Kell.... 16 really is a pathetic study group!
Back to top Go down
snoopy21

About Me!
My Name:

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: what do you think to this?    what do you think to this?  EmptySat Oct 29, 2011 9:38 am

I always thought newborns in beds was really bad! BUT then after Caitlin I got a leaflet on co-sleeping & BF from the HV that listed 'safer' ways to do it. I found it really odd that the HV was giving BF mums the green light to do it and tutting at bottle feeding mums who did it. Hardly fair! Its either dangerous or its not! Almost seemed like it was rewarding BF mums and saying they were more responsible or sumthing.

Caitlin did sleep in with me maybe once a week but not until she was maybe 6-7mths plus and never when Stuart was in bed with us so there was always loads of room. I suppose its personal choice but its not something I plan to do. Id hate to have Caitlin in with me every night for 3 years!!! What do you do if you have 2-3 kids under 3????
Back to top Go down
Lisa
Admin
Lisa

About Me!

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: what do you think to this?    what do you think to this?  EmptySat Oct 29, 2011 9:45 am

LOl I kinda thought having a kid in the bed til it was 3 meant contraception for 3 years?! NO?! WTF Laughing
Back to top Go down
snoopy21

About Me!
My Name:

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: what do you think to this?    what do you think to this?  EmptySat Oct 29, 2011 9:50 am

Well iv no idea how but my cousins friend is very into co-sleeping and her 1st girl slept in their bed until the day her newborn sister came home from hospital. Apparently she just announced that she was going to sleep in her bed from now on - she was just over 2.5.

Maybe they just got jiggy in the kitchen during afternoon nap times? Laughing
Back to top Go down
snoopy21

About Me!
My Name:

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: what do you think to this?    what do you think to this?  EmptySat Oct 29, 2011 9:53 am

Oh and this same mummy BF and claims not to know how often her baby feeds in the night. Apparently it can latch on/off itself and she just wakes in a daze some nights.

Btw this girl is absolutely lovely and not a nutty hippy or a lazy mummy either. Just something she chose to do and works for her. I couldnt have done it but!
Back to top Go down
Suse

Suse

About Me!
My Name: Suse

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: what do you think to this?    what do you think to this?  EmptySat Oct 29, 2011 5:48 pm

Well my hubby's cousin lost his little girl a few months ago, she was only 6 weeks old and was in their bed with them, the poor little thing had overheated and died Crying or Very sad

I believe it's definately a no no, neither Libby or Dexter have ever slept in our bed, I stupidly kept Libby in our room but in her own crib til she was 6 months but didnt need to - she has slept from 7pm til 8am from around 4 months. Dexter has been in his cotbed in his own bedroom since he was 6 weeks, if he woke in the night I've got a chair in there and would feed him then put him straight back down again. He now *fingers crossed* goes through from 7pm til 6am (saying that they are both currently still in bed Very Happy ).

I wouldnt dare do it in the early days as I feel it is just far too dangerous and personally wouldnt do it later on (I say personally - nothing against those that do do it), as I am such a light sleeper and need my sleep!

It's actually very worrying No
Back to top Go down
mariheartselijah

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: what do you think to this?    what do you think to this?  EmptySat Oct 29, 2011 8:11 pm

hmm its strange, i always worried that i would fall asleep and squish him, but i do believe that it is biologically programmed into you that if the baby is there, you won't - having said that i did use to fall asleep feeding with elijah, but if i knew i was that tired would make sure i was sat up and elijah was safe (i.e in a nest of cushions - before he could roll into them etc).

we now generally just have me and elijah in bed, he is in his grobag with no covers and his little pillow. if i move i generally automatically wake up now and make sure he is fine and we all get a good nights sleep for it......i know a lot of you disagree with it but i think at 17 months it is safe, i don't particularly agree with a lot of that article though, it doesn't give new mums any way to win does it?
Back to top Go down
Lisa
Admin
Lisa

About Me!

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: what do you think to this?    what do you think to this?  EmptySun Oct 30, 2011 2:24 am

Susan,Libby&Dexter wrote:
Well my hubby's cousin lost his little girl a few months ago, she was only 6 weeks old and was in their bed with them, the poor little thing had overheated and died Crying or Very sad

I believe it's definately a no no, neither Libby or Dexter have ever slept in our bed, I stupidly kept Libby in our room but in her own crib til she was 6 months but didnt need to - she has slept from 7pm til 8am from around 4 months. Dexter has been in his cotbed in his own bedroom since he was 6 weeks, if he woke in the night I've got a chair in there and would feed him then put him straight back down again. He now *fingers crossed* goes through from 7pm til 6am (saying that they are both currently still in bed Very Happy ).

I wouldnt dare do it in the early days as I feel it is just far too dangerous and personally wouldnt do it later on (I say personally - nothing against those that do do it), as I am such a light sleeper and need my sleep!

It's actually very worrying No

Oh no that is so sad!

Its this kind of 'study' that shouldn't be allowed because people read it and think its ok to do - then something like that happens and the parents will NEVER stop blaming themselves for it, but no doubt the ideas was made to sound ok to them somewhere along the line
Back to top Go down
Lisa
Admin
Lisa

About Me!

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: what do you think to this?    what do you think to this?  EmptySun Oct 30, 2011 2:25 am

mariheartselijah wrote:
hmm its strange, i always worried that i would fall asleep and squish him, but i do believe that it is biologically programmed into you that if the baby is there, you won't - having said that i did use to fall asleep feeding with elijah, but if i knew i was that tired would make sure i was sat up and elijah was safe (i.e in a nest of cushions - before he could roll into them etc).

we now generally just have me and elijah in bed, he is in his grobag with no covers and his little pillow. if i move i generally automatically wake up now and make sure he is fine and we all get a good nights sleep for it......i know a lot of you disagree with it but i think at 17 months it is safe, i don't particularly agree with a lot of that article though, it doesn't give new mums any way to win does it?

I think there is a big difference between having a newborn in the bed and a bigger baby that can move and make it known that they are there
Back to top Go down
Kell

Kell

About Me!
My Name: Kelly

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: what do you think to this?    what do you think to this?  EmptySun Oct 30, 2011 3:44 am

I agree Lisa, when te boys were very little I sat to feed them, it was after a fair few months and when they we able to latch easily themselves that we fed side by side.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: what do you think to this?    what do you think to this?  Empty

Back to top Go down

what do you think to this?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Babies & All :: Information :: In the News-
Latest topics
» Spotting
what do you think to this?  Emptyby Marie-Pier Tue May 01, 2018 12:31 pm

» Help You Save The Expense Of Wedding Dress
what do you think to this?  Emptyby thefashion Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:09 pm

» Select from online wedding dress stores
what do you think to this?  Emptyby dfwre Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:52 pm

» A wide collection of Wedding Decoration Ideas
what do you think to this?  Emptyby sahalegail Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:29 pm

» Casual wedding dress in higher need?
what do you think to this?  Emptyby dfwre Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:18 pm

» An Amazing collection of Wedding Decoration
what do you think to this?  Emptyby sahalegail Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:12 pm

» Teddy Bears Picnic Party Supplies?
what do you think to this?  Emptyby sahalegail Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:39 am

» baby esme grace
what do you think to this?  Emptyby liberty Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:01 am

» For Sell:Stokke XPLORY Stroller/Bugaboo camel
what do you think to this?  Emptyby garyboatner Thu May 02, 2013 5:28 pm

» For Sell:Stokke XPLORY Stroller/Bugaboo camel
what do you think to this?  Emptyby garyboatner Thu May 02, 2013 5:27 pm

» Natures Sway Hammock & Stand
what do you think to this?  Emptyby Tell Wed May 01, 2013 8:22 pm

» Banda mobile
what do you think to this?  Emptyby EmVar Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:50 am

» is it enough at 10 weeks?
what do you think to this?  Emptyby char w Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:02 pm

» Merry Christmas
what do you think to this?  Emptyby Lisa Tue Dec 25, 2012 3:07 am

» Are Nativity Plays Still Compulsory?
what do you think to this?  Emptyby Emmylou Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:14 am

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Most Viewed Topics
Introduce Yourself!
September 2009 mummies
10 Illegal baby names
New Weight Watchers ProPoints plan explained.
say hello to the sun baby sensory song???
Cheesy Party songs (90s)
Whats the first thing you think of?
Banda Night In ladies (pics included)
pro points calculator
Most active topics
September 2009 mummies
Introduce Yourself!
Whats the first thing you think of?
Bin it or eat it
Change the letter.
Girls and boys names.
which one???
Count to a 1000 in words
hot or not
ChatBox
Create a forum on Forumotion | ©phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com
ToS | Privacy Policy | Tickers | Amazon Shop | FAQs | Website