Babies & All
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome PageSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog inHome

Share | 

2nd Birthday Party Idea

View previous topic View next topic Go down 

Similar topics

+
AuthorMessage
EmVar

EmVar

Edit MY profile

2nd Birthday Party Idea _
PostSubject: 2nd Birthday Party Idea   2nd Birthday Party Idea EmptyWed Jan 11, 2012 9:20 am

Just wondered what you all thought about this.

Last year we hired out a room, did a buffet invited lots of family over, not many other kids, couldn't afford to feed friends from baby group as well (this was mutually understood by all) so ended up with 20 adults plus a 5 and two 3 year-olds.

So this year we've found a soft play with a pub on the side and thought we would just invite people to either bring their kids to soft play (not arrange an official party or anything, more of a playdate) and then go next door so other adults not wanting to come to the play bit can join us and see Imogen if they want, and anyone not wanting to fork out for a dinner can make their excuses after the playing bit.

Is that a bit mean to ask people to come and buy their own dinner / pay for their own kids to come to soft play? Or do you think at the least we should be offering to pay for the soft play bit?

Bearing in mind this would be a week on Sunday and yes I am the most slack parent in the world ever Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Lisa
Admin
Lisa

About Me!
My Name: Lisa
Number of Children: 1

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: 2nd Birthday Party Idea   2nd Birthday Party Idea EmptyWed Jan 11, 2012 9:27 am

possibly a little bit mean seeing as they are paying to travel there and buy a gift..both birthdays Ive done we have had people here and put on a buffet and it doesnt cost that much .. we had about the same 20 adults and I think there was 7 or 8 kids
Back to top Go down
http://www.babiesandall.co.uk
EmVar

EmVar

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: 2nd Birthday Party Idea   2nd Birthday Party Idea EmptyWed Jan 11, 2012 9:38 am

No problem, just checking.

I think for Imogen it would be a lot more fun than haing a buffet in a room again, but not sure where to draw the line as 20pub dinners could get a bit steep!
Back to top Go down
Lisa
Admin
Lisa

About Me!
My Name: Lisa

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: 2nd Birthday Party Idea   2nd Birthday Party Idea EmptyWed Jan 11, 2012 9:46 am

Yeh definitly could! Does the pub do buffets?
Back to top Go down
http://www.babiesandall.co.uk
Donna
Admin
Donna

About Me!
My Name: Donna
Number of Children: 0

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: 2nd Birthday Party Idea   2nd Birthday Party Idea EmptyWed Jan 11, 2012 12:12 pm

All the kds party's I have had have been at pubs like Brewster bear etc, you pay for a kids party and the kids get fed. If the adults want feeding they pay for their own x
Back to top Go down
Jade

Jade

About Me!
My Name: Jade

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: 2nd Birthday Party Idea   2nd Birthday Party Idea EmptyWed Jan 11, 2012 7:16 pm

I don't think you should feed the adults but I would pay for the soft play and get some nibbles for the kids x
Back to top Go down
Suse

Suse

About Me!
My Name: Suse
Number of Children: 2

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: 2nd Birthday Party Idea   2nd Birthday Party Idea EmptyWed Jan 11, 2012 8:51 pm

Our local sports centre has a room called a creche that you can hire, it's basically a huge room divided into 2 - one smaller bit for eating and the other is like a mini softplay with a small bouncy castle, we paid £40 for 1.5 hours and did a smallish buffet. We had 8 children plus their parents and the whole thing cost about £70 inc. food (Tesco basics Laughing ).

TBH I wouldnt expect to pay if Libby was invited to a party xx
Back to top Go down
Zee

Zee

About Me!
My Name: Zee

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: 2nd Birthday Party Idea   2nd Birthday Party Idea EmptyWed Jan 11, 2012 9:19 pm

I don't think you should feed the adults but I would pay for the soft play and get some nibbles for the kids

TBH I wouldnt expect to pay if Libby was invited to a party

I'd be inclined to agree
Back to top Go down
Shell

Shell

About Me!
My Name: Michelle

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: 2nd Birthday Party Idea   2nd Birthday Party Idea EmptyWed Jan 11, 2012 9:30 pm

Right obviously i'm really tight cause I don't see the problem with that. She's only two she doesn't need a full on birthday party where you pay for all the extras. I would just make it casual.. 'we're taking her to soft play you're welcome to join'.
Thats just my opinion. Save the big expensive parties till she can really appreciate it.
Back to top Go down
EmVar

EmVar

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: 2nd Birthday Party Idea   2nd Birthday Party Idea EmptyThu Jan 12, 2012 2:21 am

Well tbh Shell, my mate did something similar with her two kids whose birthdays are only a couple of weeks apart in September - anyone who wanted to go for a pub lunch was welcome to go and have a pub lunch.#

I was worried though that

a) we have set a precedent, and
b) Dom's family are used to being fed whereas ours are not, so I'm not sure what the "norm" is in the big wide world.

However it's all academic now because the sodding place is closed for refurbishment for the 2 weeks either side of her birthday. Back to the drawing board!

I am tempted to say (as you suggest Shell) "We're taking Imogen to Jungle Mania because she likes it. You can come and see her if you like. You can buy a buttie while you're there if you like....."

My oh my, it would be so much more straightforward if there weren't 3 sets of grandparents, 1 set of great-grandparents, 2 sets of aunties and uncles with offspring and then the need to invite friends with similarly aged children to make it fun for Imogen! And if we had a house big enough to accommodate that lot so we didn't have to hire a venue. Or if we just had a big enough garden to borrow my friend's marquee!
Back to top Go down
MrsDebs

MrsDebs

About Me!
My Name: Debs

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: 2nd Birthday Party Idea   2nd Birthday Party Idea EmptyThu Jan 12, 2012 2:31 am

I don't think it's mean so long as it's agreed before hand. I think if my kids were invited to a party I would expect that the soft play at least be paid for and would be a bit put out if I got there and found I had to pay but if it was a close friend or family member who had let me know before hand I wouldn't mind at all - I would have the option not to go. I certainly would never expect to have a bar meal provided for myself and Paul at a kids party, neither would I pay for other adults to eat at m kids party (obviously a buffet at home is slightly different).

My cousin is doing a very similar thing for her twin girls in a few weeks actually and she is really skint bless her but wants the girls to have a treat. I will be taking and paying for my kids and buying our tea too, I don't see it as mean, it's a chance for all teh kids to get together and have fun and it's a 2for1 type place anyway so wont cost a bomb. We are also traveling 110 miles to go but we are making the effort because they have done for us in the past.

xx
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: 2nd Birthday Party Idea   2nd Birthday Party Idea Empty

Back to top Go down

2nd Birthday Party Idea

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Babies & All :: Children & Parenting :: Toddler Talk-
Latest topics
» Spotting
2nd Birthday Party Idea Emptyby Marie-Pier Tue May 01, 2018 12:31 pm

» Help You Save The Expense Of Wedding Dress
2nd Birthday Party Idea Emptyby thefashion Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:09 pm

» Select from online wedding dress stores
2nd Birthday Party Idea Emptyby dfwre Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:52 pm

» A wide collection of Wedding Decoration Ideas
2nd Birthday Party Idea Emptyby sahalegail Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:29 pm

» Casual wedding dress in higher need?
2nd Birthday Party Idea Emptyby dfwre Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:18 pm

» An Amazing collection of Wedding Decoration
2nd Birthday Party Idea Emptyby sahalegail Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:12 pm

» Teddy Bears Picnic Party Supplies?
2nd Birthday Party Idea Emptyby sahalegail Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:39 am

» baby esme grace
2nd Birthday Party Idea Emptyby liberty Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:01 am

» For Sell:Stokke XPLORY Stroller/Bugaboo camel
2nd Birthday Party Idea Emptyby garyboatner Thu May 02, 2013 5:28 pm

» For Sell:Stokke XPLORY Stroller/Bugaboo camel
2nd Birthday Party Idea Emptyby garyboatner Thu May 02, 2013 5:27 pm

» Natures Sway Hammock & Stand
2nd Birthday Party Idea Emptyby Tell Wed May 01, 2013 8:22 pm

» Banda mobile
2nd Birthday Party Idea Emptyby EmVar Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:50 am

» is it enough at 10 weeks?
2nd Birthday Party Idea Emptyby char w Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:02 pm

» Merry Christmas
2nd Birthday Party Idea Emptyby Lisa Tue Dec 25, 2012 3:07 am

» Are Nativity Plays Still Compulsory?
2nd Birthday Party Idea Emptyby Emmylou Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:14 am

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Most Viewed Topics
Introduce Yourself!
September 2009 mummies
10 Illegal baby names
New Weight Watchers ProPoints plan explained.
Cheesy Party songs (90s)
say hello to the sun baby sensory song???
Whats the first thing you think of?
Banda Night In ladies (pics included)
pro points calculator
Most active topics
September 2009 mummies
Introduce Yourself!
Whats the first thing you think of?
Bin it or eat it
Change the letter.
Girls and boys names.
which one???
Count to a 1000 in words