Babies & All
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome PageSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog inHome

Share | 

stopping breastfeeding advice

View previous topic View next topic Go down 

Similar topics

+
AuthorMessage
pinkyd

pinkyd

Edit MY profile

stopping breastfeeding advice _
PostSubject: stopping breastfeeding advice   stopping breastfeeding advice EmptyWed Oct 13, 2010 7:09 am

I'm thinking of stopping breastfeeding at the end of next month before I go back to work. i asked advice of a HV and she said to just stop and switch her on to follow on milk. I'm a bit worried to do it like that because I produce a lot of milk so would get really engorged, I was planning on just cutting out one feed at a time but how much formula would I need to give in replacement? Sorry if I'm rambling but I hate the HV's at my baby clinic with a vengeance, they're all completely clueless.
Back to top Go down
Bumpwatcher

Bumpwatcher

About Me!
My Name:
Number of Children:

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: stopping breastfeeding advice   stopping breastfeeding advice EmptyWed Oct 13, 2010 7:12 am

Hey there, i would just drop one feed at a time, giving at least 5 days between each drop. As for the amount of formula, there is a guide on the box to say how much they should have for their weight or age. I would probs try a 7/8 oz and see how she gets on. She may find it quite filling initially.

Is she already used to a bottle?

x x x
Back to top Go down

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: stopping breastfeeding advice   stopping breastfeeding advice EmptyWed Oct 13, 2010 7:14 am

I would def cut down before stopping completely. I stopped bf-ing at 3months, expressed for a month and then went fully in to formula. (She was having the odd bottle of forumla from birth though) Good luck Smile I cant remember how much i gave though Embarassed maybe make a full bottle and just see what she takes.
Back to top Go down
pinkyd

pinkyd

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: stopping breastfeeding advice   stopping breastfeeding advice EmptyWed Oct 13, 2010 7:17 am

Thanks, she's already used to a bottle, I expressed from a month old and recently swtiched to formula for her last feed so at least I don't have that battle. I'm a bit worried though because I use BF for comfort a lot so i don't know what to do instead!
Back to top Go down
Suse

Suse

About Me!
My Name: Suse
Number of Children: 2

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: stopping breastfeeding advice   stopping breastfeeding advice EmptyWed Oct 13, 2010 7:18 am

Yeah I agree with Bumpwatcher, with Libby she naturally cut out feeds herself and by the time she was 8 months was only having 2 feeds a day (morning and bedtime), when she was about 10 months she cut out the bedtime one and then I stopped altogether when she was 13 months - by then she was having hardly anything anyway.

The only issue I had was that Libby just would not take a bottle, whether it was expressed milk or formula xx
Back to top Go down
Shell

Shell

About Me!
My Name: Michelle
Number of Children: 2

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: stopping breastfeeding advice   stopping breastfeeding advice EmptyWed Oct 13, 2010 7:18 am

I agree with what Bumpwatcher said. Try dropping one feed at a time, i recommend starting with lunchtime feeds, leave a couple of days between each drop and the side of the box there is a guide to how much formula for age. I'd say 7oz though. Hope it goes well. x
Back to top Go down
LesleyandBethany

About Me!
My Name: Lesley
Number of Children: 1

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: stopping breastfeeding advice   stopping breastfeeding advice EmptyWed Oct 13, 2010 7:19 am

I breastfed Bethany until she was 15 months but I found that there is no advice out there to assist in stopping so I just mithered my friends who had B/F.

I went back to work when Bethany was 9 months old and what I'd managed to do by that point was to feed her just before her breakfast about 7am ish and then just before bed time. To get to this point what I did was replace feeds she had during the day (so when I would be at work) with snacks and she managed to adapt really well with no problems.

I then cut out her 7am feed but I can't remember when this was and I did this by just not offering her the breast and offered water instead when she woke.

So then she was just having a bedtime feed for say 5 mins maximum so I don't think she really needed it for a while.

I had always said that I would try and B/F up until Bethany had her MMR so that if she wasn't too good she could get comfort from me and she ended up having her MMR when she was 14 months and then we were going on holiday so it was actually 15 months and all I did was not offer it to her and she didn't seem to notice and again thankfully there was no problem.

I am all for B/F (but think it is a personal choice and wouldn't judge anyone who doesn't) and there is alot of information out there to encourage it but nothing at all for when you want to stop.

If you need anything else just PM me.

xx
Back to top Go down
Bumpwatcher

Bumpwatcher

About Me!
My Name:
Number of Children:

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: stopping breastfeeding advice   stopping breastfeeding advice EmptyWed Oct 13, 2010 7:21 am

That's reassuring then. I know what you mean about the comfort thing, i was concerned about this with my first DD (i stopped at a similar time), but i'm sure she will surprise you and adapt to it much easier than you think she will. I was really gutted that Immy didn't care a hoot when i stopped feeding her, i on the other hand was devastated! x x x
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: stopping breastfeeding advice   stopping breastfeeding advice Empty

Back to top Go down

stopping breastfeeding advice

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Babies & All :: General Chat :: The Lounge-
Latest topics
» Spotting
stopping breastfeeding advice Emptyby Marie-Pier Tue May 01, 2018 12:31 pm

» Help You Save The Expense Of Wedding Dress
stopping breastfeeding advice Emptyby thefashion Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:09 pm

» Select from online wedding dress stores
stopping breastfeeding advice Emptyby dfwre Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:52 pm

» A wide collection of Wedding Decoration Ideas
stopping breastfeeding advice Emptyby sahalegail Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:29 pm

» Casual wedding dress in higher need?
stopping breastfeeding advice Emptyby dfwre Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:18 pm

» An Amazing collection of Wedding Decoration
stopping breastfeeding advice Emptyby sahalegail Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:12 pm

» Teddy Bears Picnic Party Supplies?
stopping breastfeeding advice Emptyby sahalegail Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:39 am

» baby esme grace
stopping breastfeeding advice Emptyby liberty Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:01 am

» For Sell:Stokke XPLORY Stroller/Bugaboo camel
stopping breastfeeding advice Emptyby garyboatner Thu May 02, 2013 5:28 pm

» For Sell:Stokke XPLORY Stroller/Bugaboo camel
stopping breastfeeding advice Emptyby garyboatner Thu May 02, 2013 5:27 pm

» Natures Sway Hammock & Stand
stopping breastfeeding advice Emptyby Tell Wed May 01, 2013 8:22 pm

» Banda mobile
stopping breastfeeding advice Emptyby EmVar Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:50 am

» is it enough at 10 weeks?
stopping breastfeeding advice Emptyby char w Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:02 pm

» Merry Christmas
stopping breastfeeding advice Emptyby Lisa Tue Dec 25, 2012 3:07 am

» Are Nativity Plays Still Compulsory?
stopping breastfeeding advice Emptyby Emmylou Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:14 am

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Most Viewed Topics
Introduce Yourself!
September 2009 mummies
10 Illegal baby names
New Weight Watchers ProPoints plan explained.
say hello to the sun baby sensory song???
Cheesy Party songs (90s)
Whats the first thing you think of?
Banda Night In ladies (pics included)
pro points calculator
Most active topics
September 2009 mummies
Introduce Yourself!
Whats the first thing you think of?
Bin it or eat it
Change the letter.
Girls and boys names.
which one???