Babies & All
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome PageSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog inHome

Share | 

Recommend a book :o)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 

Similar topics

+
AuthorMessage
GraceBean&Pip

Edit MY profile

Recommend a book :o) _
PostSubject: Recommend a book :o)   Recommend a book :o) EmptyTue Oct 19, 2010 12:36 am

Our books are getting rather battered so we need some more - but usually amazon is cheapest so you take the risk of not knowing what's inside! These I can highly recommend:

Each, Peach, Pear, Plum - we grew into this, didn't take to it at first
The Wheels on the Bus (books with holes) - good one as a 1st birthday gift as the bus is going to a birthday!
The Very hungry Caterpillar - well, you have to really don't you! Bean now does the finger crawling (caterpillar) up his arm too... Very Happy Very Happy Have bought him a finger puppet as a stocking filler!
That's not my... hmmmm don't bother with tractor, monster is fun, dinosaur is similar to monster, robot is a bit pants but sparkly - 'Baby' is the best one and good to start with from a v.young age! (mirror at the back!) - does anyone have a Christmas one they can recommend (Sant-reindeer-angel-penguin are they??)

We also have a words A-Z book that has been taped up about 4 times it's loved that much- he's so clever at finding the pictures and likes to points and ask what things are too - but it was from a garden centre and can't find a replacement anywhere! Oh, and a lift the flap book from Argos (next to the till type thing) which bean LOVES but left alone with it the inevitable happens. Turn round to see the flaps scattered about and a wide-eyed baby telling me 'gone' Rolling Eyes Laughing

Tryign to think of more but that's all off the top of my head. xx
Back to top Go down
Kate

Kate

About Me!
My Name: Kate
Number of Children: 1

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: Recommend a book :o)   Recommend a book :o) EmptyTue Oct 19, 2010 1:16 am

This is Lily's favourite book to date - she must have looked at it hundreds of times and still loves it

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tickle-Book-pop-up-surprises/dp/1405053631/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1287411183&sr=8-1

Her 2nd fav is the hungry caterpillar - have just got her the pop up one for xmas, it arrived at the weekend and it is really lovely, much nicer than looked in pics etc. http://www.waterstones.com/waterstonesweb/products/eric+carle/the+very+hungry+caterpillar+pop-up+book/6434463/
Back to top Go down
Lisa
Admin
Lisa

About Me!
My Name: Lisa

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: Recommend a book :o)   Recommend a book :o) EmptyTue Oct 19, 2010 1:37 am

Izzy only has 2 That's Not My, she has Kitten and Santa which she loves - she gets them both and turns them to the same feel, and sits there with one finger rubbing each lol!

The Peppa Pig books that came free with Little Stars she loves, they are easy to turn the pages, and not heavy either.

For story books, Izzy has loads, but a set a bought this week I love - they are part of this set http://books.mileskelly.net/menu4.asp?sb=full_title I got Classic Animal Stories, Classic Stories, Fairy Stories and Bedtime Stories - there are loads of stories in each so definitely worth it, they are chunky so postage can be high, but I got mine £5 each at the garden centre (rrp is £14.99 each)
Back to top Go down
http://www.babiesandall.co.uk
GraceBean&Pip

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: Recommend a book :o)   Recommend a book :o) EmptyTue Oct 19, 2010 3:29 am

oooo it got made sticky Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy honoured Wink

We have all board books that little one is 'let loose' with, a few paper ones to share (although even that's pushing it with the more delicate ones). I've seen that pop-up caterpillar one Susan, it's gorgeous inside - wouldn't last 2mins here though Laughing

Of course, there is 'Guess How Much I Love You' but we found it doesn't hold any attention at present? Although we have this set of small books from that series aswell, although ours is in a bag:
http://www.whsmith.co.uk/CatalogAndSearch/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductID=9781406304510

These are worth a browse:
http://www.thebookpeople.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/qs_home_tbp?storeId=10001&catalogId=10051&langId=100
- the company who come round workplaces and fill up the coffee tables with books! Laughing
Back to top Go down
LesleyandBethany

About Me!
My Name: Lesley

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: Recommend a book :o)   Recommend a book :o) EmptyTue Oct 19, 2010 6:18 am

Blimey Bethany has so many books it is hard to choose but at the moment her favourite is Dear Zoo.
Back to top Go down
Zee

Zee

About Me!
My Name: Zee

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: Recommend a book :o)   Recommend a book :o) EmptyTue Oct 19, 2010 7:31 am

Oliver's got loads too - he's a bit of a nerd lol

His fave book of the moment is 'Munch' He's just started getting into it from about 18mth ish
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Munch-Emma-McCann/dp/1845390458/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1287433609&sr=1-2

and this too
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Captain-Yellowbelly-Tale-Terrible-Pirate/dp/1845392809/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1287433850&sr=1-1

and the grufalo Very Happy
Back to top Go down
michellenevan

michellenevan

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: Recommend a book :o)   Recommend a book :o) EmptyTue Oct 19, 2010 8:25 am

evan has 2 jst now a thats not my puppy which he loves jst feeling all the pages
and a tigger book which u press button and tigger sings
they are well ruined tho

ive bought him loads of books for xmas
Back to top Go down
LesleyandBethany

About Me!
My Name: Lesley

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: Recommend a book :o)   Recommend a book :o) EmptyWed Oct 20, 2010 8:11 am

I bought Bethany The Gruffalo today and she loves it!!
Back to top Go down
GraceBean&Pip

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: Recommend a book :o)   Recommend a book :o) EmptyWed Oct 20, 2010 8:27 am

Did you see the animation last Christmas Lesley? It was lovely Smile
Can you get it in board book?
We bought peepo (another Ahlberg classic) last week but it feels too old for bean just yet. On the back is one called 'baby catalogue' by them though, will have to have a look if more suitable, peepo is going in the Christmas/birthday pressie box for now! xx
Back to top Go down

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: Recommend a book :o)   Recommend a book :o) EmptyWed Oct 20, 2010 8:39 am

Im going to order this 2moz:
http://www.thebookpeople.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/qs_product_tbp?storeId=10001&catalogId=10051&langId=100&productId=202168&source=102&siteid=20363
Very Happy
Back to top Go down
MrsDebs

MrsDebs

About Me!
My Name: Debs
Number of Children: 2

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: Recommend a book :o)   Recommend a book :o) EmptyWed Oct 20, 2010 9:09 am

Thomas likes the 'That's not my..' range - he has Polar bear, Lion, Airplane, Car and Dinosaur so far (Hannah had Dolly, Princess and Kitten Very Happy )

He has a few of the Baby Touch ones too http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_1_10?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=baby+touch&sprefix=baby+touch and he loves them and is starting to pick up the words now.

We also have the very hungry caterpillar but other than poking his finger through the holes he isnt that interested yet. I keep reading it to him though for my benefit more than his coz it was my favourite when I was little.

The free peppa pig ones from little stars he loves and I can read them over and over again and he never loses interest - he's not even a fan of peppa really scratch

Thomas's favourite books by far though are ones with buttons that make noises through the story, he loves to sit with me and press the right button and the right part of the story.

My personal favourite though is deffinately Love you forever by Robert Munsch - makes me cry everytime (thanks Zee Rolling Eyes Laughing )

xx
Back to top Go down
xxsueandjamiexx

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: Recommend a book :o)   Recommend a book :o) EmptyFri Oct 22, 2010 8:14 am

The Gruffalo is our fave book at the moment, it varies in price but the cheapest I found it was £2.99 and free shipping from Amazon Very Happy
Back to top Go down
GraceBean&Pip

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: Recommend a book :o)   Recommend a book :o) EmptyTue Nov 09, 2010 7:54 am

Just by way of a non-recommendation - I saw this and thought it would be fab -
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Touchy-feely-Nativity-Usborne-Touchy-Feely/dp/0746098340/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1289249523&sr=1-1
But I went to see it 'in person' and flick through and was quite disappointed Sad
The 'feely' bits are very small and not very varied (mostly bits of fabric) and the "story" is a bit lacking. I like a good ending like 'and baby Jesus slept peacefully' or 'that was the very first Christmas night' or 'the angels sang and the sky sparkled' - but it ends with something like "The shepherds brought the baby a lamb. The three kings came to visit and brought some special gifts too." Neutral
Maybe one for older children rather than littlies.

We got Bear Hunt as a small board book for a stocking filler and Moo, Baa La La La - it's a bit odd that one, will have to see what he makes of it (very basic pictures, brief rhyming story...) and we looked at That's not my Truck at the weekend and think we'll get that if we see it cheaper (Dinosaur is about £3 on amazon atm, truck is about £5 ?!) - we weren't going to get anymore as they get very same-y with textures but that one looks good.

So, the search continues Laughing Amazon is usually cheapest in general (although WHSmith are close on some titles I've found) but I think it just helps if you can see them in person or have a suggestion by someone who has found a nice one. xx
Back to top Go down
pinkyd

pinkyd

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: Recommend a book :o)   Recommend a book :o) EmptyThu Nov 11, 2010 4:02 am

even though avas only 8 months she loves books already and I love sitting reading to her.

A really good site is www.thebookdepository.co.uk, the books are well prices and it's free delivery.
Back to top Go down
Pickle and Pup's mummy

Pickle and Pup's mummy

About Me!
My Name: Mandy

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: Recommend a book :o)   Recommend a book :o) EmptyFri Dec 03, 2010 10:54 pm

Sophia's favourites at the moment include:

Snore! by Michael Rosen and Jonathan lnagley (we have also bought Oww! and Shoo! for christmas, by the same author. Sophia's all time fav and usually chosen for bedtime

Good baby, bad baby! by Nanette Newman, its two stories in one and you will see so many similarities with your own little one its funny!

Angel baby by Gillian Shields and Nathan Reed

Her favourite downstairs book is The pram race by Jane Cabrera, featuring characters Popcorn and Banana Bob. Its so bright and colourful and just the right amount of text on each page. Sophs likes the ready steady Go! bit best!

She is also into The Ladybird Book of Nursery Rhymes lift the flaps book. Hours of fun and the flaps re reasonably versatile.

HEr fav lift the flap books are the Spot range. They are brill but the flaps break so easily. She also loves Dear Zoo by Rod Campbell, and i like this because it has now been used by three children over a thirtenn year period and the flaps are still totally in tact! Very well made. Sophia loves doing the roar for the lion.

She is also starting to get into the Peppa pig books but its a bit hit and misss, too much text in most of them. The sports day one is just right though.

Thats a lot to get through1 Cant think of any more right now!

MAndy xx
Back to top Go down
GraceBean&Pip

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: Recommend a book :o)   Recommend a book :o) EmptyFri Dec 03, 2010 11:43 pm

Will look into those ^ Very Happy ta!

Really with 'Dear Zoo' ?! I wanted to buy it for bean but thought it would break - is it a better version / thicker one? Maybe made of flimsier stuff these days, I looked in a shop and it didn't look like it would stand up to much - esp. the 'cage' type one(s).

Does anyone else need to stick to board books for little one or is it just us?! scratch Laughing
Back to top Go down
Pickle and Pup's mummy

Pickle and Pup's mummy

About Me!

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: Recommend a book :o)   Recommend a book :o) EmptySun Dec 05, 2010 8:46 am

Yeah, i have to say the cage page is bent a bit but not torn at all, just well loved! Coz its a double layer so the flap is attached underneath, the flap cant be pulled off too easily. Have had a look at the new ones in shops and look like they are made the same. We have the board book version, not the paperback. If i get lift the flap type books, which she loves, I tend to go for the board books still as othewise they seem to get broke too easily.

Sophia still loves her board books because she has more control over them and can turn the pages herself easily, but she also enjoys litening to something with a bit more story, so long as it is colourful and has a good rythm and not too much text. And anything where mummy and daddy need to make animal noises! LOL

Mandy xx
Back to top Go down

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: Recommend a book :o)   Recommend a book :o) EmptyFri Jan 07, 2011 12:56 am

Nice Thread!

Wil is a book fiend. Here is is current top 5.

A Squash and a Squeeze http://www.amazon.co.uk/Squash-Squeeze-Julia-Donaldson/dp/1405004770/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1294321809&sr=1-3

Monkey Puzzle http://www.amazon.co.uk/Monkey-Puzzle-Julia-Donaldson/dp/0333720016/ref=sr_1_10?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1294321809&sr=1-10

Noisy Train http://www.amazon.co.uk/Noisy-Train-Book-Farmyard-Tales/dp/1409507734/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1294322171&sr=1-1

The Very hungry caterpillar

Any Maisy lift the flap books

Back to top Go down
Clare

Clare

About Me!
My Name: Clare

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: Recommend a book :o)   Recommend a book :o) EmptyThu May 12, 2011 3:36 pm

i completley recommend

dinosaur roar, i've actually kept it as it was rich's favourite i use to do all the different names in different voices to go with the character.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dinosaur-Board-Ragged-Bears-Books/dp/1857141296

and Newton http://www.amazon.co.uk/Newton-Rory-Tyger/dp/1854307215/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1305174884&sr=1-1
its about a bear that cant sleep because he can hear noises, its probably for older 2's but great book and good if they having scary thoguhts about noises

i still got both these ready for bubs
Back to top Go down
Pickle and Pup's mummy

Pickle and Pup's mummy

About Me!

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: Recommend a book :o)   Recommend a book :o) EmptySun Jun 19, 2011 6:31 am

We just bought 'The Tickle Book'. She loves it! It has flaps and tags to pull to make things move and of course at the end of each page, she gets a good tickle fromt he tickle monster. Very good investment! But one thing i would say, its definitely a read with mummy/daddy book, not a sit and read alone book as is very easy to tear and break.

Another fave at the mo (on loan from the lbrary) is ' A Squash and a Squeeze' by julia donaldson. She loves the rhymimng text and is able to recite some of it when she reads herself.

also another good julia donaldson book, Monkey Puzzle. A lovely story and lots of repetitive text which sophia has picked up on and learnt new words from.

Mandy xx
Back to top Go down
Shell

Shell

About Me!
My Name: Michelle

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: Recommend a book :o)   Recommend a book :o) EmptySat Aug 13, 2011 7:42 am

Imogen absolutely loves this book atm:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/I-Like-When-Mary-Murphy/dp/0152056491

I've found it's helped her settle at night as well as the last pages are about nighttime routine.. 'i like it when you hug me tight'..'i like it when we kiss goodnight'.

She does actions for every 'i like it when..' it's adorable.
Back to top Go down
EmVar

EmVar

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: Recommend a book :o)   Recommend a book :o) EmptySat Aug 13, 2011 8:15 am

We are currently enjoying http://www.amazon.co.uk/Duck-Truck-Jez-Alborough/dp/0006647170

From the library. It's just the right length, the story prompts you to point at the pictures (This is the duck driving home in his truck.... this is the track, leading him back.... This is the rock, struck by the truck... This is the mud where the truck got stuck.....)

Imogen likes to point at the characters, especially the frog - starting to wonder if she's ever seen a frog before now!
Back to top Go down
Zee

Zee

About Me!
My Name: Zee

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: Recommend a book :o)   Recommend a book :o) EmptySat Dec 31, 2011 10:03 am

Just wanted to add this one cos I thing its 'well good' Laughing

Oliver just got it for christmas and he loves it too.
http://www.hallmark.com/online/in-stores/storybooks/story-buddies/
Recommend a book :o) Lp_gc_ISB_main1

They are interactive teddies/books..so as your reading the book the teddy responds to words/sentances throughout the book blushlove Olivers face was a picture as I was reading the book and the dog/teddy was barking and making noisess Laughing

Olivers got the Jingle one with the husky dog but i'm going to get them allllllll Laughing (Only cos my OH works for Hallmark Laughing)
Back to top Go down
EmVar

EmVar

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: Recommend a book :o)   Recommend a book :o) EmptySat Dec 31, 2011 9:51 pm

Ooh Imogen got something similar for Xmas - he's called Cooper the bear. You have to say things in a certain way though or he doesn't respond, so a bit annoying that it doesn't recognise Imogen talking to it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: Recommend a book :o)   Recommend a book :o) Empty

Back to top Go down

Recommend a book :o)

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Babies & All :: Children & Parenting :: Toddler Talk-
Latest topics
» Spotting
Recommend a book :o) Emptyby Marie-Pier Tue May 01, 2018 12:31 pm

» Help You Save The Expense Of Wedding Dress
Recommend a book :o) Emptyby thefashion Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:09 pm

» Select from online wedding dress stores
Recommend a book :o) Emptyby dfwre Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:52 pm

» A wide collection of Wedding Decoration Ideas
Recommend a book :o) Emptyby sahalegail Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:29 pm

» Casual wedding dress in higher need?
Recommend a book :o) Emptyby dfwre Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:18 pm

» An Amazing collection of Wedding Decoration
Recommend a book :o) Emptyby sahalegail Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:12 pm

» Teddy Bears Picnic Party Supplies?
Recommend a book :o) Emptyby sahalegail Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:39 am

» baby esme grace
Recommend a book :o) Emptyby liberty Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:01 am

» For Sell:Stokke XPLORY Stroller/Bugaboo camel
Recommend a book :o) Emptyby garyboatner Thu May 02, 2013 5:28 pm

» For Sell:Stokke XPLORY Stroller/Bugaboo camel
Recommend a book :o) Emptyby garyboatner Thu May 02, 2013 5:27 pm

» Natures Sway Hammock & Stand
Recommend a book :o) Emptyby Tell Wed May 01, 2013 8:22 pm

» Banda mobile
Recommend a book :o) Emptyby EmVar Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:50 am

» is it enough at 10 weeks?
Recommend a book :o) Emptyby char w Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:02 pm

» Merry Christmas
Recommend a book :o) Emptyby Lisa Tue Dec 25, 2012 3:07 am

» Are Nativity Plays Still Compulsory?
Recommend a book :o) Emptyby Emmylou Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:14 am

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Most Viewed Topics
Introduce Yourself!
September 2009 mummies
10 Illegal baby names
New Weight Watchers ProPoints plan explained.
say hello to the sun baby sensory song???
Cheesy Party songs (90s)
Whats the first thing you think of?
Banda Night In ladies (pics included)
pro points calculator
Most active topics
September 2009 mummies
Introduce Yourself!
Whats the first thing you think of?
Bin it or eat it
Change the letter.
Girls and boys names.
which one???