Babies & All
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome PageSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog inHome

Share | 

Breath holding

View previous topic View next topic Go down 

Similar topics

+
AuthorMessage
Mario

Edit MY profile

Breath holding _
PostSubject: Breath holding   Breath holding EmptyTue Oct 12, 2010 7:04 am

Sorry this isnt in toddler but cud do with an answer. Dunno how many of you remember me talking about C having a head injury in france when she fell off the sofa and hit her head on the tiles then got in such a tizz she held her breath until she passed out

Well shes had a couple of episodes of breath holding again since though nothing as serious and shes snapped out of it quick. Today though she did a full blown meltdown.

Ive mentioned she isnt well and was feeling hot so i tried putting a thermometer in her ear but she was wriggling and fighting so i figured would be easier to use my work underarm one. Boy was i ever wrong. She went into full on ab dab fit of temper and then held her breath. I jiggled her but she kept doing it and then started to go a bit grey so i blew really hard in her face and it seemed to jolt her out of it and she started crying. I cuddled her and kissed her for 5 mins then took her in the kitchen to help me load the dishwasher to take her mind off of it. She was ok all afternoon aside from being grouchy but no more than she has been all week with feeling poorly.

Does anyone else have experience of this cos its *$%£ scary stuff. Im not sure shes even holding it on purpose as she looked as frightened as me today it was almost like she had gotten herself in such a state she couldnt even get a breath in rather than holding it out of temper. All over a sodding thermometer. Looks like i wont be using that again. I have a forehead one but it doesnt read accurately and i have an ear one which she fights me on but i guess will just have to persevere with that if i need to take a temp but would appreciate hearing from anyone who has experienced this as its a bloody frightening experience and i hope she outgrows it really soon. Doesnt help she has a cracking temper and sometimes its odd to know what will set it off.
Back to top Go down
LesleyandBethany

About Me!
My Name: Lesley
Number of Children: 1

Edit MY profile

Breath holding _
PostSubject: Re: Breath holding   Breath holding EmptyTue Oct 12, 2010 7:08 am

Blimey Mario, that sounds really scary. I've got no experience but didn't want to just read and run xx
Back to top Go down
Emmylou

Emmylou

About Me!
My Name:
Number of Children:

Edit MY profile

Breath holding _
PostSubject: Re: Breath holding   Breath holding EmptyTue Oct 12, 2010 7:10 am

Dont have any experience, but would say just blow in her face to catch her out of it Sad tis horrible seeing them do that...perhaps ask HV next clinic, see if they have a method of stopping her.. my older 2 have always had a problem with taking meds and temps.. I had to lock them between my knees and hold their head still.. looked torturess (sp) but got meds into them Smile
Wish her better though poor chicken xx
Back to top Go down
Suse

Suse

About Me!
My Name: Suse
Number of Children: 2

Edit MY profile

Breath holding _
PostSubject: Re: Breath holding   Breath holding EmptyTue Oct 12, 2010 7:11 am

Thankfully Libby has never done this, but I've just googled and came up with this, don't know if it helps?

Toddlers who hold their breath
Even though a child may learn to play by the rules, until they are at least three years old, they cannot begin to truly understand cause and effect. Therefore, when they break the rules or boundaries we set them, they are often baffled by the reaction they get from cross parents.
Breath-holding is their way of trying to claw back some control, or at least some room to negotiate.
The first time a child holds their breath (for what seems a terrifying duration for the parent), is usually during a raging bout of uncontrollable anger or frustration. They may forget to breathe in during a flood of tears, and suddenly they notice their are holding their breath.
If the child then continues to hold their breath, it is possible that their lips and skin turn pale or blue. At this point, they may faint, which is the body's way of recovering on autopilot. It looks worse than it is, because a child who has passed out will then start to breathe again.
Holding their breath like this cannot harm your child because the body will not allow him or her to stop breathing long enough to do any serious damage (just as we couldn't ourselves, under normal conditions).
It is hard to switch off your own emotions when a child reacts in such a way. However, it is important for you to be on guard where possible. If an episode like this gets a shocked reaction the first time it happens (and why wouldn't it, from any worried adult?), the toddler will use it as a way of ending future confrontations and as a route to getting his or her own way.
Discuss your reactions with your partner so that you can be prepared for other incidents and be united in how you deal with them. There is no need to make the breath-holding incidents another issue to argue about with your child, but be firm and stick to your guns over the initial cause for disgareement, then your child will know that the hassle of holding his or her breath isn't going to win them battles.

Hope she stops it soon - must be bloody awful seeing it Sad
Back to top Go down

Edit MY profile

Breath holding _
PostSubject: Re: Breath holding   Breath holding EmptyTue Oct 12, 2010 7:34 pm

Slightly off topic but my OH does this when he has to have bloods taken to the point where he has to be sedated to have bloods done. I would say with C that the control thing is highly likely so she intends to do it but then gets so far and can't stop so that scares her. The risk is that she starts to do it for attention because after each episode she is so upset that you need to cuddle her and give loads of affection. As harsh and as hard as it is you probably need to minimise your reaction and just deal with the physical aspects (getting her breathing again) and ignore the behaviour itself until she stops doing it. I don't envy you hun and I am here if you want to talk about it.
Back to top Go down
olliesmammy

olliesmammy

Edit MY profile

Breath holding _
PostSubject: Re: Breath holding   Breath holding EmptyTue Oct 12, 2010 10:14 pm

That sounds awful, it's a tricky one because your probably best ignoring it but I don'tknow how you possibly could! xx
Back to top Go down
snoopy21

About Me!
My Name:

Edit MY profile

Breath holding _
PostSubject: Re: Breath holding   Breath holding EmptyTue Oct 12, 2010 10:21 pm

Not exactly the same but when Caitlin was teeny (0-3mths) and had the milk allergy symptoms she would scream and cry to the point she would stop breathing a few nights a week. The HV told me just to blow in her face, its all that you can do at that moment. Strangely it works bloody well though! Caitlin definitley wasnt doing it on purpose, she was crying because she was sore and then got caught in a cycle of screams with no time for air. I doubt C is doing it on purpose either, but perhaps watch incase it does become a habit eg She screams, holds her breath, you panic & then give her hugs & play might teach her to do it for attention (though I know if Caitlin scares the shit outta me my first reaction is to hug/kiss so its tough...)

HV also said that if she ever did cry so hard she passed out she would probably come round again quite quick, as susan said its the bodys way of shutting down and rebooting so to speak.

Hope its just an odd occurance that she soon grows out of. I think you are doing all you can at the moment. x

Ha- I just had to edit this as I called Susan Libby ... Flip Libbys getting clever dishing out advice Laughing
Back to top Go down
emmaXx

emmaXx

Edit MY profile

Breath holding _
PostSubject: Re: Breath holding   Breath holding EmptyTue Oct 12, 2010 10:26 pm

my youngest brother usued to do this through temper and a freind son does this.. .. it can be a form of epilepsy.. through them not controling there temper but very rare... i used to hold my breath (as a child ) through sheer frustration and anger..and when it happend its very hard to stop .. the blowing in mouth is a goodone xxx

not saying c has epilepsy or frightning you jus what i have been told x
Back to top Go down
Mario

Edit MY profile

Breath holding _
PostSubject: Re: Breath holding   Breath holding EmptyTue Oct 12, 2010 11:53 pm

GillandWil wrote:
Slightly off topic but my OH does this when he has to have bloods taken to the point where he has to be sedated to have bloods done. I would say with C that the control thing is highly likely so she intends to do it but then gets so far and can't stop so that scares her. The risk is that she starts to do it for attention because after each episode she is so upset that you need to cuddle her and give loads of affection. As harsh and as hard as it is you probably need to minimise your reaction and just deal with the physical aspects (getting her breathing again) and ignore the behaviour itself until she stops doing it. I don't envy you hun and I am here if you want to talk about it.

Unfortunately its a difficult one as the 3 times she has done it its been a fear reaction - in france she had hit her head, the 2nd time she slipped in the bath and yesterday the thermometer frightened her so i understand the advice but its hard to find a balance between not giving in to a behaviour and calming her fear. I honestly dont think its a conscious thing, whether she would use it as such in the future i dont know but right now i dont think she means to do it, i saw the terror on her face yesterday and it was really distressing. Shes fought me on stuff at other times and had paddies without doing it, today i had to check her temp again and she didnt do it just yelled at me a lot while it was being done so its not always when she loses her temper. As it was once id cuddled her we went to load the dishwasher so it was distraction i used anyway. Most of the stuff ive read says mention it to gp so might mention it later. Only once a month so far at least, ive read some kids do it every day.
Back to top Go down
Claire

Claire

About Me!
My Name:

Edit MY profile

Breath holding _
PostSubject: Re: Breath holding   Breath holding EmptyWed Oct 13, 2010 1:35 am

Lilly has always done this, until the point were she passes out! i remember posting in a panic on ab when she was a few months old Rolling Eyes.

You did well to blow in her face its scary but the worst case would for them to just faint, its so scary Sad
Back to top Go down
Mario

Edit MY profile

Breath holding _
PostSubject: Re: Breath holding   Breath holding EmptyWed Oct 13, 2010 1:45 am

Mentioned it to nurse at her appt today who said she thinks its prob worth mentioning to doc if she does it again just to have her checked over so will keep an eye out for now
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Edit MY profile

Breath holding _
PostSubject: Re: Breath holding   Breath holding Empty

Back to top Go down

Breath holding

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Babies & All :: General Chat :: The Lounge-
Latest topics
» Spotting
Breath holding Emptyby Marie-Pier Tue May 01, 2018 12:31 pm

» Help You Save The Expense Of Wedding Dress
Breath holding Emptyby thefashion Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:09 pm

» Select from online wedding dress stores
Breath holding Emptyby dfwre Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:52 pm

» A wide collection of Wedding Decoration Ideas
Breath holding Emptyby sahalegail Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:29 pm

» Casual wedding dress in higher need?
Breath holding Emptyby dfwre Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:18 pm

» An Amazing collection of Wedding Decoration
Breath holding Emptyby sahalegail Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:12 pm

» Teddy Bears Picnic Party Supplies?
Breath holding Emptyby sahalegail Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:39 am

» baby esme grace
Breath holding Emptyby liberty Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:01 am

» For Sell:Stokke XPLORY Stroller/Bugaboo camel
Breath holding Emptyby garyboatner Thu May 02, 2013 5:28 pm

» For Sell:Stokke XPLORY Stroller/Bugaboo camel
Breath holding Emptyby garyboatner Thu May 02, 2013 5:27 pm

» Natures Sway Hammock & Stand
Breath holding Emptyby Tell Wed May 01, 2013 8:22 pm

» Banda mobile
Breath holding Emptyby EmVar Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:50 am

» is it enough at 10 weeks?
Breath holding Emptyby char w Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:02 pm

» Merry Christmas
Breath holding Emptyby Lisa Tue Dec 25, 2012 3:07 am

» Are Nativity Plays Still Compulsory?
Breath holding Emptyby Emmylou Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:14 am

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Most Viewed Topics
Introduce Yourself!
September 2009 mummies
10 Illegal baby names
New Weight Watchers ProPoints plan explained.
Cheesy Party songs (90s)
say hello to the sun baby sensory song???
Whats the first thing you think of?
Banda Night In ladies (pics included)
pro points calculator
Most active topics
September 2009 mummies
Introduce Yourself!
Whats the first thing you think of?
Bin it or eat it
Change the letter.
Girls and boys names.
which one???
Count to a 1000 in words