Babies & All
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome PageSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog inHome

Share | 

how do you know your baby is ready to wean?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 

Similar topics

+
AuthorMessage
mariheartselijah

Edit MY profile

how do you know your baby is ready to wean?  _
PostSubject: how do you know your baby is ready to wean?    how do you know your baby is ready to wean?  EmptyThu Oct 21, 2010 5:46 am

haha god i have taken over the forum now Rolling Eyes over anxious mummy Laughing

so, how do you know your baby is ready to wean? can you leave it longer than 6 months? i guess that isn't good for them nutritionally...

elijah is coming up to 5 months and seems happy with milk (bf) and is fascinated by watching people eat, he will reach at food and smell it (he really really didn't like the smell of curry Laughing he scrumpled his face up and pushed himself backwards) but doesn't seem unsatisfied with just milk. he is sleeping well and going a good 4 hours between feeds...will this change when he is ready???

how can i tell it apart from a growth spurt - or do i just take an educated guess judging by his age? im pretty sure if we gave him some baby rice now he would eat it or at least try, but i want to leave it as long as i can - but how do i do that without dragging it out too long for him??!

help help!
Back to top Go down
pinkyd

pinkyd

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: how do you know your baby is ready to wean?    how do you know your baby is ready to wean?  EmptyThu Oct 21, 2010 6:14 am

I weaned ava at 21 weeks but she was physically leaning over the table and pinching my food, I knew the milk had stopped satisfying her because she started waking a lot more in the night and feeding a lot more in the daytime. (she had a 3 hour cycle and started every 1.5 hrs again)

Some babies won't need it until they hit 6 months so just follow his lead.
Back to top Go down
mrsmb

mrsmb

About Me!
My Name: Kim
Number of Children: 2

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: how do you know your baby is ready to wean?    how do you know your baby is ready to wean?  EmptyThu Oct 21, 2010 6:16 am

I think they recommend that you start at 6 months because they start to need more nutrition than there is in just milk. If he's quite happy at the moment then stop worrying! I knew Stephen was ready because he was guzzling down 9 oz bottles and after sleeping through for ages had started waking for another feed in the night (they do that sometimes in a growth spurt though). He was also putting everything in his mouth and trying to take the food off our plates (we still have to be quick or he'd finish my dinner first Shocked ). As long as he can sit up enough to eat and has that coordination to put things into his mouth at 6 months then he will be ready. I got told not to leave it too long or you might find it more difficult to wean later on xxx
Back to top Go down
mariheartselijah

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: how do you know your baby is ready to wean?    how do you know your baby is ready to wean?  EmptyThu Oct 21, 2010 7:05 am

hmm eli definitely doesn't have the hand to mouth coordination i don't think (although everything he manages to get hold of does inevitably end up in his mouth at some point Laughing). i would like him to be able to sit up better too, he is a wobbly little boy! he does show interest but hasn't been feeding noticeably more recently so i will just bide my time...
Back to top Go down
Lisa
Admin
Lisa

About Me!
My Name: Lisa
Number of Children: 1

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: how do you know your baby is ready to wean?    how do you know your baby is ready to wean?  EmptyThu Oct 21, 2010 7:10 am

Actually babies can do fine on milk til something like 1 year old

However 6 months is the ideal time for introducing new tastes and textures - leaving it much later wouldn't necessarily do him any harm nutritionally, but you may find he wouldn't be so keen to try new things later on!

I weaned Izzy early, because she was drinking milk constantly and still asking for more but didn't really want more milk - we started her on purees and she never looked back!

Just remember if you do start early to always give over and above the milk they are having until 6 months at least - never give food instead of milk before that.
Back to top Go down
http://www.babiesandall.co.uk
mariheartselijah

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: how do you know your baby is ready to wean?    how do you know your baby is ready to wean?  EmptyThu Oct 21, 2010 8:40 am

oh i dont think we will start early - i am just a stressologist haha i have to get it absolutely clear in my mind beforehand and then once i start i wont worry about it and will feel nicely confident Very Happy thank god for banda though - otherwise poor elijah would grow up in a library (could be worse!)
Back to top Go down
Amy

Amy

About Me!
My Name: Amy
Number of Children: 1

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: how do you know your baby is ready to wean?    how do you know your baby is ready to wean?  EmptyThu Oct 21, 2010 10:18 pm

i started alfie at 16 weeks because he was drinking 9oz bottles every 2 hrs and started waking during the night. he ws also very interested in food and just seemed very unsettled in general.

i wud maybe just try little different textures and flavours from 6 months and introduce it gradually.

x
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: how do you know your baby is ready to wean?    how do you know your baby is ready to wean?  Empty

Back to top Go down

how do you know your baby is ready to wean?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Babies & All :: Children & Parenting :: Parenting :: Weaning-
Latest topics
» Spotting
how do you know your baby is ready to wean?  Emptyby Marie-Pier Tue May 01, 2018 12:31 pm

» Help You Save The Expense Of Wedding Dress
how do you know your baby is ready to wean?  Emptyby thefashion Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:09 pm

» Select from online wedding dress stores
how do you know your baby is ready to wean?  Emptyby dfwre Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:52 pm

» A wide collection of Wedding Decoration Ideas
how do you know your baby is ready to wean?  Emptyby sahalegail Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:29 pm

» Casual wedding dress in higher need?
how do you know your baby is ready to wean?  Emptyby dfwre Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:18 pm

» An Amazing collection of Wedding Decoration
how do you know your baby is ready to wean?  Emptyby sahalegail Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:12 pm

» Teddy Bears Picnic Party Supplies?
how do you know your baby is ready to wean?  Emptyby sahalegail Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:39 am

» baby esme grace
how do you know your baby is ready to wean?  Emptyby liberty Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:01 am

» For Sell:Stokke XPLORY Stroller/Bugaboo camel
how do you know your baby is ready to wean?  Emptyby garyboatner Thu May 02, 2013 5:28 pm

» For Sell:Stokke XPLORY Stroller/Bugaboo camel
how do you know your baby is ready to wean?  Emptyby garyboatner Thu May 02, 2013 5:27 pm

» Natures Sway Hammock & Stand
how do you know your baby is ready to wean?  Emptyby Tell Wed May 01, 2013 8:22 pm

» Banda mobile
how do you know your baby is ready to wean?  Emptyby EmVar Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:50 am

» is it enough at 10 weeks?
how do you know your baby is ready to wean?  Emptyby char w Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:02 pm

» Merry Christmas
how do you know your baby is ready to wean?  Emptyby Lisa Tue Dec 25, 2012 3:07 am

» Are Nativity Plays Still Compulsory?
how do you know your baby is ready to wean?  Emptyby Emmylou Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:14 am

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Most Viewed Topics
Introduce Yourself!
September 2009 mummies
10 Illegal baby names
New Weight Watchers ProPoints plan explained.
Cheesy Party songs (90s)
say hello to the sun baby sensory song???
Whats the first thing you think of?
Banda Night In ladies (pics included)
pro points calculator
Most active topics
September 2009 mummies
Introduce Yourself!
Whats the first thing you think of?
Bin it or eat it
Change the letter.
Girls and boys names.
which one???
Count to a 1000 in words