Babies & All
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome PageSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog inHome

Share | 

Just so true (which number are you?)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 

Similar topics

+
AuthorMessage

Edit MY profile

Just so true (which number are you?) _
PostSubject: Just so true (which number are you?)   Just so true (which number are you?) EmptySun Oct 24, 2010 12:27 am

A Professor of Economics explains the TAX SYSTEM IN BEER. .

THETAX SYSTEM EXPLAINED IN BEER

Suppose that once a week, ten men go out for beer and the bill for all tencomes to £100.If they paid their bill the way we pay our taxes, it would gosomething like this..

The first four men (the poorest) would pay nothing.
The fifth would pay £1.
The sixth would pay £3.
The seventh would pay £7.
The eighth would pay £12.
The ninth would pay £18.
And the tenth man (the richest) would pay £59.

So, that's what they decided to do. The ten men drank in the bar every week andseemed quite happy with the arrangement until, one day, the owner caused them alittle problem. "Since you are all such good customers," he said,"I'm going to reduce the cost of your weekly beer by £20." Drinks forthe ten men would now cost just £80.

Thegroup still wanted to pay their bill the way we pay our taxes. So the firstfour men were unaffected. They would still drink for free but what about theother six men? The paying customers? How could they divide the £20 windfall sothat everyone would get his fair share? They realized that £20 divided by sixis £3.33 but if they subtracted that from everybody's share then not only wouldthe first four men still be drinking for free but the fifth and sixth manwould each end up being paid to drink his beer.

So,the bar owner suggested that it would be fairer to reduce each man's bill by ahigher percentage. They decided to follow the principle of the tax system theyhad been using and he proceeded to work out the amounts he suggested that eachshould now pay.

And so, the fifth man, like the first four, now paid nothing (a100% saving).
The sixth man now paid £2 instead of £3 (a 33% saving).
The seventh man now paid £5 instead of £7 (a 28% saving).
The eighth man now paid £9 instead of £12 (a 25% saving).
The ninth man now paid £14 instead of £18 (a 22% saving).
And the tenth man now paid £49 instead of £59 (a 16% saving).

Each of the last six was better off than before with the first four continuingto drink for free.

But,once outside the bar, the men began to compare their savings. "I only got£1 out of the £20 saving," declared the sixth man. He pointed to the tenthman, "but he got £10!"

"Yeah,that's right," exclaimed the fifth man. "I only saved a £1 too. It'sunfair that he got ten times more benefit than me!"

"That'strue!" shouted the seventh man. "Why should he get £10 back, when Ionly got £2? The wealthy get all the breaks!"

"Waita minute," yelled the first four men in unison, "we didn't getanything at all. This new tax system exploits the poor!" The nine mensurrounded the tenth and beat him up.

Thenext week the tenth man didn't show up for drinks, so the nine sat downand had their beers without him. But when it came time to pay the bill, theydiscovered something important - they didn't have enough money between all ofthem to pay for even half of the bill!

Andthat, boys and girls, journalists and government ministers, is how our taxsystem works. The people who already pay the highest taxes will naturally getthe most benefit from a tax reduction. Tax them too much, attack them for beingwealthy and they just might not show up anymore.
Infact, they might start drinking overseas, where the atmosphere is somewhatfriendlier.

David R. Kamerschen, Ph.D.
Professor of Economics.
For those who understand, no explanation is needed.
For those who do not understand, no explanation is possible
Back to top Go down
Mario

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: Just so true (which number are you?)   Just so true (which number are you?) EmptySun Oct 24, 2010 12:30 am

Lol fair point. I suppose its not really considered that at 50% taxation even 40k isnt that big an earning

and id guess im the 6th perhaps, im a mid level earner
Back to top Go down
snoopy21

About Me!
My Name:
Number of Children: 1

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: Just so true (which number are you?)   Just so true (which number are you?) EmptySun Oct 24, 2010 1:15 am

Im in the first four, paying nothing. I wouldnt beat someone up for earning a lot though (I know its a metaphor).

I understand we need top earners to support the tax system but equally we need people in low paid jobs to care for the elderly, the kids, sweep the streets, serve in cafes etc. I think we all have a part to play in society and money isnt the only/the best way we can contribute.

To be really blunt I dont think people who earn minimum wage and pay little or no tax should be made to feel eternally grateful and humble to the highest tax payers, some of whom which dont respect the jobs the lower earners do. I know its not right to attack high taxpayers for being wealthy (I am beginning to understand the impact of high taxes on actual earnings) but at the same time high earners shouldnt attack/belittle/tease with threats.. low earners for not contributing as much.

This isnt personally directed at you Gill, as im sure you weren't personally directing the original post at anyone on here. x
Back to top Go down
snoopy21

About Me!
My Name:
Number of Children: 1

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: Just so true (which number are you?)   Just so true (which number are you?) EmptySun Oct 24, 2010 1:19 am

Iv just reread that and dont know if I expressed my point properly...

I do agree that the original post is a fair point it was just the last part about how they might just not show up anymore got my back up...

x
Back to top Go down

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: Just so true (which number are you?)   Just so true (which number are you?) EmptySun Oct 24, 2010 1:40 am

Don't worry Snoopy I agree with you about those who work hard for low wages, it's the ones who sit around doing nothing and still moan who wind me up
(stay at home mums/ dads are exempt because they work harder than most for no financial gain)

Have to say though if high earners are penalised too much they do have the option to vote with their feet and go elsewhere then the country would be in even more of a financial mess.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: Just so true (which number are you?)   Just so true (which number are you?) Empty

Back to top Go down

Just so true (which number are you?)

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Babies & All :: General Chat :: The Lounge-
Latest topics
» Spotting
Just so true (which number are you?) Emptyby Marie-Pier Tue May 01, 2018 12:31 pm

» Help You Save The Expense Of Wedding Dress
Just so true (which number are you?) Emptyby thefashion Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:09 pm

» Select from online wedding dress stores
Just so true (which number are you?) Emptyby dfwre Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:52 pm

» A wide collection of Wedding Decoration Ideas
Just so true (which number are you?) Emptyby sahalegail Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:29 pm

» Casual wedding dress in higher need?
Just so true (which number are you?) Emptyby dfwre Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:18 pm

» An Amazing collection of Wedding Decoration
Just so true (which number are you?) Emptyby sahalegail Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:12 pm

» Teddy Bears Picnic Party Supplies?
Just so true (which number are you?) Emptyby sahalegail Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:39 am

» baby esme grace
Just so true (which number are you?) Emptyby liberty Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:01 am

» For Sell:Stokke XPLORY Stroller/Bugaboo camel
Just so true (which number are you?) Emptyby garyboatner Thu May 02, 2013 5:28 pm

» For Sell:Stokke XPLORY Stroller/Bugaboo camel
Just so true (which number are you?) Emptyby garyboatner Thu May 02, 2013 5:27 pm

» Natures Sway Hammock & Stand
Just so true (which number are you?) Emptyby Tell Wed May 01, 2013 8:22 pm

» Banda mobile
Just so true (which number are you?) Emptyby EmVar Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:50 am

» is it enough at 10 weeks?
Just so true (which number are you?) Emptyby char w Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:02 pm

» Merry Christmas
Just so true (which number are you?) Emptyby Lisa Tue Dec 25, 2012 3:07 am

» Are Nativity Plays Still Compulsory?
Just so true (which number are you?) Emptyby Emmylou Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:14 am

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Most Viewed Topics
Introduce Yourself!
September 2009 mummies
10 Illegal baby names
New Weight Watchers ProPoints plan explained.
Cheesy Party songs (90s)
say hello to the sun baby sensory song???
Whats the first thing you think of?
Banda Night In ladies (pics included)
pro points calculator
Most active topics
September 2009 mummies
Introduce Yourself!
Whats the first thing you think of?
Bin it or eat it
Change the letter.
Girls and boys names.
which one???
Count to a 1000 in words