Babies & All
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome PageSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog inHome

Share | 

whats the difference between a christening and a baptism???

View previous topic View next topic Go down 

Similar topics

+
AuthorMessage
mariheartselijah

Edit MY profile

whats the difference between a christening and a baptism??? _
PostSubject: whats the difference between a christening and a baptism???   whats the difference between a christening and a baptism??? EmptyMon Nov 01, 2010 2:12 am

please tell me!
Back to top Go down
Amandaplus2

Amandaplus2

About Me!
My Name: Amanda
Number of Children: 2

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: whats the difference between a christening and a baptism???   whats the difference between a christening and a baptism??? EmptyMon Nov 01, 2010 2:13 am

As far as I know nothing, they are the same thing x
Back to top Go down
Laura

Laura

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: whats the difference between a christening and a baptism???   whats the difference between a christening and a baptism??? EmptyMon Nov 01, 2010 2:15 am

No idea, I thought they were the same too x
Back to top Go down
J1

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: whats the difference between a christening and a baptism???   whats the difference between a christening and a baptism??? EmptyMon Nov 01, 2010 2:24 am

christening is the anointing of the cross on the forhead, baptism is the using of water, most children are baptised, at our church you are christened and baptised in the service
http://www.cofe.anglican.org/lifeevents/baptismconfirm/baptism1.html
HTH
Back to top Go down
mariheartselijah

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: whats the difference between a christening and a baptism???   whats the difference between a christening and a baptism??? EmptyMon Nov 01, 2010 2:41 am

aha! thank you Smile
Back to top Go down
Lisa
Admin
Lisa

About Me!
My Name: Lisa
Number of Children: 1

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: whats the difference between a christening and a baptism???   whats the difference between a christening and a baptism??? EmptyMon Nov 01, 2010 3:04 am

I found this elsewhere

''Baptism is a Christian ceremony when a baby is welcomed into the Church. It has holy (blessed by the priest) water, from a font, poured on its head three times - in the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit. It symbolises being "born again". Jesus was baptised by his cousin, John the Baptist, in the River Jordan. Some churches baptise babies (and adults) by total immersion in water.

Christening is the giving of a Christian name at the time of baptism.

The terms "to be baptised" and "to be christened" have the same meaning and you may use either. They belong together.''
Back to top Go down
http://www.babiesandall.co.uk
olliesmammy

olliesmammy

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: whats the difference between a christening and a baptism???   whats the difference between a christening and a baptism??? EmptyMon Nov 01, 2010 3:07 am

I've always wondered this becaus ewhen my cousin got christen my aunt called it a christening and her mother called it a baptism
Back to top Go down
Nutty1

Nutty1

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: whats the difference between a christening and a baptism???   whats the difference between a christening and a baptism??? EmptyMon Nov 01, 2010 3:15 am

My son got baptised last month (in catholic church) and he had chrism oil put on his forehead in sign of the cross and then his throat then he had the holy water poured on his head 3 times.

But in answer to your question there is no difference.
Back to top Go down
mariheartselijah

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: whats the difference between a christening and a baptism???   whats the difference between a christening and a baptism??? EmptyMon Nov 01, 2010 3:31 am

that seems like quite a lot - i am very ignorant in these matters though...
Back to top Go down
J1

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: whats the difference between a christening and a baptism???   whats the difference between a christening and a baptism??? EmptyMon Nov 01, 2010 4:29 am

they are seperate parts to the service, i perhaps didnt articulate it ver well.

alot of churches now dont have the anointing part of the service and just the baptising in the font.
Back to top Go down
Amy

Amy

About Me!
My Name: Amy
Number of Children: 1

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: whats the difference between a christening and a baptism???   whats the difference between a christening and a baptism??? EmptyMon Nov 01, 2010 7:02 am

i thought christening was CoE and baptism was Catholic?x
Back to top Go down
Mario

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: whats the difference between a christening and a baptism???   whats the difference between a christening and a baptism??? EmptyMon Nov 01, 2010 7:06 am

Nope same thing - that link of jo's explains it well and in the faqs it says they are different words for same thing. The church is branching out now though and does dedication or thanksgiving ceremonies too for those who dont want to say they are giving their child into christ but those dont have godparents. Had to do a one day course prior to getting C given a date for hers
Back to top Go down
mariheartselijah

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: whats the difference between a christening and a baptism???   whats the difference between a christening and a baptism??? EmptyMon Nov 01, 2010 8:30 am

i wonder if they do that in scotland, my mums friend is a minister (uggh is that even the right word Laughing) and wondered if she would do a homer Laughing hmmmm i suppose i will just phone her, must research first!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: whats the difference between a christening and a baptism???   whats the difference between a christening and a baptism??? Empty

Back to top Go down

whats the difference between a christening and a baptism???

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Babies & All :: General Chat :: The Lounge-
Latest topics
» Spotting
whats the difference between a christening and a baptism??? Emptyby Marie-Pier Tue May 01, 2018 12:31 pm

» Help You Save The Expense Of Wedding Dress
whats the difference between a christening and a baptism??? Emptyby thefashion Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:09 pm

» Select from online wedding dress stores
whats the difference between a christening and a baptism??? Emptyby dfwre Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:52 pm

» A wide collection of Wedding Decoration Ideas
whats the difference between a christening and a baptism??? Emptyby sahalegail Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:29 pm

» Casual wedding dress in higher need?
whats the difference between a christening and a baptism??? Emptyby dfwre Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:18 pm

» An Amazing collection of Wedding Decoration
whats the difference between a christening and a baptism??? Emptyby sahalegail Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:12 pm

» Teddy Bears Picnic Party Supplies?
whats the difference between a christening and a baptism??? Emptyby sahalegail Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:39 am

» baby esme grace
whats the difference between a christening and a baptism??? Emptyby liberty Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:01 am

» For Sell:Stokke XPLORY Stroller/Bugaboo camel
whats the difference between a christening and a baptism??? Emptyby garyboatner Thu May 02, 2013 5:28 pm

» For Sell:Stokke XPLORY Stroller/Bugaboo camel
whats the difference between a christening and a baptism??? Emptyby garyboatner Thu May 02, 2013 5:27 pm

» Natures Sway Hammock & Stand
whats the difference between a christening and a baptism??? Emptyby Tell Wed May 01, 2013 8:22 pm

» Banda mobile
whats the difference between a christening and a baptism??? Emptyby EmVar Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:50 am

» is it enough at 10 weeks?
whats the difference between a christening and a baptism??? Emptyby char w Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:02 pm

» Merry Christmas
whats the difference between a christening and a baptism??? Emptyby Lisa Tue Dec 25, 2012 3:07 am

» Are Nativity Plays Still Compulsory?
whats the difference between a christening and a baptism??? Emptyby Emmylou Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:14 am

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Most Viewed Topics
Introduce Yourself!
September 2009 mummies
10 Illegal baby names
New Weight Watchers ProPoints plan explained.
Cheesy Party songs (90s)
say hello to the sun baby sensory song???
Whats the first thing you think of?
Banda Night In ladies (pics included)
pro points calculator
Most active topics
September 2009 mummies
Introduce Yourself!
Whats the first thing you think of?
Bin it or eat it
Change the letter.
Girls and boys names.
which one???
Count to a 1000 in words