Babies & All
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome PageSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog inHome

Share | 

BF & weaning - advice has changed again!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 

Similar topics

+
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
snoopy21

About Me!
My Name:
Number of Children: 1

Edit MY profile

BF & weaning - advice has changed again! - Page 2 _
PostSubject: BF & weaning - advice has changed again!   BF & weaning - advice has changed again! - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 14, 2011 6:26 pm

First topic message reminder :

Watching daybreak and at about 730am they doing a feature om this. It is reported better in the times but cant access link properly, here it is in the sun http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/woman/health/health/3351004/Breast-milk-can-put-babies-off-food-cause-allergy-says-study.html

^^^ I disagree with their headline for it though.

Anyway latest thinking seems to be (from what good auld dr hilary on daybreak has said so far BF & weaning - advice has changed again! - Page 2 270211 ) Basically yes BF is fantastic, but maybe using it for the only source of nutrition for 6mths (which only 1% of mothers achieve) may not be the best thing for baby. Drs are now coming back to the thinking that weaning at 4 mths may be beneficial as alot of babies are hungry by 5/6 mths if purely on breastmilk. They also claiming that it may reduce allergies if weaned earlier (total opposite to current advice!!!).

I may have not followed the findings correctly - am eagerly waiting the segment in 15mins.

If Iv got the jist of it though, I am a bit peeved. I waited til 6mths (was btl feeding from 8wks) and as Caitlin wasnt a hungry baby she def wasnt desperate for food, BUT I admit to hearing of babies being weaned at 12/13 wks and being shocked, thought their parents were being a bitter over eager to wean/sleep through. Now theyve changed the guidleines again.

All this changing the guidelines is making a mockery. Il be more inclined to ignore advice in future and do what suits me. Im nearly embabrassed by how neurotic/obssessed I was with guidelines when caitlin was teeny. My MIL pissed me off mocking me.... and now it turns out she was perhaps right. Grr!
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
LisaGandAmelia

LisaGandAmelia

About Me!
My Name: Lisa

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: BF & weaning - advice has changed again!   BF & weaning - advice has changed again! - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 15, 2011 1:48 am

I read up on all the guidlines and then thought sod it I'm doing what Amelia needs. She was BF for nearly 13 months and I introduced food at a little over 18 weeks as she was telling me she needed it. Both of us were far happier. No one knows their baby better than their Mum. I think all these "guidlines" are being taken as commandments by HV's they should just be there for advice and to make sure the child is well cared for, not to be little hitlers and make everyone conform to the same thing. I was lucky as mine was sensible. I told her what I was planning to do and she nodded and shut the the door then said go for it! She shut the door so that no one overheard her approving of me throwing the guildlines out the window! PMSL
Back to top Go down
Lisa
Admin
Lisa

About Me!
My Name: Lisa

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: BF & weaning - advice has changed again!   BF & weaning - advice has changed again! - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 15, 2011 2:03 am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-12180052

^^ the BBC article, from a slightly different perspective to to the Sun?

Either way the important thing I think is this ''Swedish research also found that the incidence of early onset coeliac disease increased after a recommendation to delay introduction of gluten until age six months, but fell back after the recommendation reverted to four months.''
When we have it drummed into us that we are increasing the risk by doing it early.
Back to top Go down
http://www.babiesandall.co.uk
happy

happy

About Me!
My Name: Becci
Number of Children: 2

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: BF & weaning - advice has changed again!   BF & weaning - advice has changed again! - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 15, 2011 3:04 am

snoopy21 wrote:
Oi which silly beggar gave me a negative and a positive, cancelling them out!!! Laughing

lol i just gave u a plus.. try to level it out a bit lol cheers
Back to top Go down
snoopy21

About Me!
My Name:

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: BF & weaning - advice has changed again!   BF & weaning - advice has changed again! - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 15, 2011 4:15 am

A slightly different perspective Lisa- more like it has been reported correctly without the drama! Rolling Eyes

That articles more inline with what Dr hilary was saying on daybreak this morning. The Times seemed to be reporting it factually aswell, its a shame the only link I could get to work at 7am was The Sun one.

That woman in BBC article who was supporting the govt sticking with 6mths irritated me when she said about babies dying in developed countries due to underdeveloped facial muscles. I bet that is silly people who have weaned a tiny baby who def wasnt ready, or is something that is still possible to happen at 6mths.

Interesting to see that the US and 65% of Europe dont follow the 6mth guidleines. I think midwifes/dept of Health almost feel they have to stick to what WHO says now as they are going to look like twits if they back track.

Thank for the + Hapidee but lisa says that negs dont take a rep off any more. I got 2 unnecessary reps in one day because of babymilys podgy digits- woohoo! Laughing
Back to top Go down
snoopy21

About Me!
My Name:

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: BF & weaning - advice has changed again!   BF & weaning - advice has changed again! - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 15, 2011 4:21 am

Just a question... Am I right in understanding that early weaning is being reccommended now for both breast and btl fed babies (well in this article anyway)? Or is it just breast?

Why are the media (not just The Sun clearly) focusing on BF when the main message is earlier weaning, surely for all babys? Hmm answering my own question... is it that BF babies have the double risk of running out of iron and then along with btl fed babies should be trying gluten to reduce risk of coeliac?
Back to top Go down
Jade

Jade

About Me!
My Name: Jade

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: BF & weaning - advice has changed again!   BF & weaning - advice has changed again! - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 15, 2011 4:35 am

its true that I think its only England that went with the whole 6 months thing as my pediatrician (in Cyprus you see a pediatrician every month unlike seieng a HV in the UK) and she didn't ask me if Tyler was hungry or seemed to need weaning she told me when he was 4 months old to start giving him what she called "cream" (its actually like a porridge in loads of different flavours with milk in it) and then she said to give him fruit etc.

Snoopy I think it's to do with the iron in breastfeed babies isn't it as to why they hsouldn't be exclusively breastfed for 6 months, and with bottlefed it's do with allergies and the gluten thing too?
dunno but I think the moral of this is just go with your instincts Smile
Back to top Go down
*ShevAndLissieLou*

*ShevAndLissieLou*

About Me!
My Name:

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: BF & weaning - advice has changed again!   BF & weaning - advice has changed again! - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 15, 2011 4:57 am

I dont really have alot to offer here, but they dont half make it all confusing dont they......I dont think they ever know what there right hand is doing from there left.

I think I will be going by the advice of listening to my baby and if she needs weaning before 6 months then she will be weaned before 6 months xx
Back to top Go down
snoopy21

About Me!
My Name:

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: BF & weaning - advice has changed again!   BF & weaning - advice has changed again! - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 15, 2011 5:13 am

Ah siobhan but what if you decide your LO not hungry and do wait to 6 mths... not knowing that you have made them allergic to numerous things, have an intolerance to gluten and low on iron?! Im making mock btw. This whole motherhood thing is just guilt, guilt, gulit!!! Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: BF & weaning - advice has changed again!   BF & weaning - advice has changed again! - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

BF & weaning - advice has changed again!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Babies & All :: General Chat :: The Lounge-
Latest topics
» Spotting
BF & weaning - advice has changed again! - Page 2 Emptyby Marie-Pier Tue May 01, 2018 12:31 pm

» Help You Save The Expense Of Wedding Dress
BF & weaning - advice has changed again! - Page 2 Emptyby thefashion Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:09 pm

» Select from online wedding dress stores
BF & weaning - advice has changed again! - Page 2 Emptyby dfwre Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:52 pm

» A wide collection of Wedding Decoration Ideas
BF & weaning - advice has changed again! - Page 2 Emptyby sahalegail Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:29 pm

» Casual wedding dress in higher need?
BF & weaning - advice has changed again! - Page 2 Emptyby dfwre Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:18 pm

» An Amazing collection of Wedding Decoration
BF & weaning - advice has changed again! - Page 2 Emptyby sahalegail Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:12 pm

» Teddy Bears Picnic Party Supplies?
BF & weaning - advice has changed again! - Page 2 Emptyby sahalegail Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:39 am

» baby esme grace
BF & weaning - advice has changed again! - Page 2 Emptyby liberty Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:01 am

» For Sell:Stokke XPLORY Stroller/Bugaboo camel
BF & weaning - advice has changed again! - Page 2 Emptyby garyboatner Thu May 02, 2013 5:28 pm

» For Sell:Stokke XPLORY Stroller/Bugaboo camel
BF & weaning - advice has changed again! - Page 2 Emptyby garyboatner Thu May 02, 2013 5:27 pm

» Natures Sway Hammock & Stand
BF & weaning - advice has changed again! - Page 2 Emptyby Tell Wed May 01, 2013 8:22 pm

» Banda mobile
BF & weaning - advice has changed again! - Page 2 Emptyby EmVar Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:50 am

» is it enough at 10 weeks?
BF & weaning - advice has changed again! - Page 2 Emptyby char w Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:02 pm

» Merry Christmas
BF & weaning - advice has changed again! - Page 2 Emptyby Lisa Tue Dec 25, 2012 3:07 am

» Are Nativity Plays Still Compulsory?
BF & weaning - advice has changed again! - Page 2 Emptyby Emmylou Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:14 am

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Most Viewed Topics
Introduce Yourself!
September 2009 mummies
10 Illegal baby names
New Weight Watchers ProPoints plan explained.
Cheesy Party songs (90s)
say hello to the sun baby sensory song???
Whats the first thing you think of?
Banda Night In ladies (pics included)
pro points calculator
Most active topics
September 2009 mummies
Introduce Yourself!
Whats the first thing you think of?
Bin it or eat it
Change the letter.
Girls and boys names.
which one???
Count to a 1000 in words