Babies & All
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome PageSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog inHome

Share | 

Giving up smoking, encouragement needed!!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 

Similar topics

+
AuthorMessage
Lita
Admin
Lita

About Me!
My Name: Lita
Number of Children: 1

Edit MY profile

Giving up smoking, encouragement needed!! _
PostSubject: Giving up smoking, encouragement needed!!   Giving up smoking, encouragement needed!! EmptyThu Aug 25, 2011 9:34 pm

As the title says really! I am going to give up smoking 1. I don't enjoy it anymore, I just do it out of boredom and 2. I could really use the money elsewhere.

I gave up smoking when I was pregnant with Ollie easy enough but I had a fantastic reason. Sooooo my reasons/targets are that I would really like a dishwasher when we move house, I really need some new clothes and I would like to buy Ollie a huge Happyland set. Let the no smoking, money saving commence!!!

Day 1 - I've had 2 fags so far today. I've got viewers coming later and and all alone to sort it out AGAIN. Today I am going to print off a picture of a dishwasher, some lovely clothes and a photo of my wee man so I can see why I need to do this.

Any tips, encouragement etc is more than welcome!!!!!!

Back to top Go down
Lisa
Admin
Lisa

About Me!
My Name: Lisa

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: Giving up smoking, encouragement needed!!   Giving up smoking, encouragement needed!! EmptyThu Aug 25, 2011 9:53 pm

Never had to do it, but I'll try to help!!!!

How about you get a chart, and every day you don't smoke add on the money you have saved, and each week put the actual money in a pot - kinda like this but not hahah http://www.jcbank.com/JCB_Kids/SavingsChart.htm that way you will see how much you are saving and what you are saving for (I think that will be a big encouragement!)
Back to top Go down
http://www.babiesandall.co.uk
Nay

Nay

About Me!
My Name: Naomi

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: Giving up smoking, encouragement needed!!   Giving up smoking, encouragement needed!! EmptyThu Aug 25, 2011 10:19 pm

I think Lisa's idea is fab...I gave up smoking when we started trying for a baby. Richard refused to start trying until I had given up....that was my encouragement and also I was on patches.

Good luck I am sure you can do it

x
Back to top Go down
mandy

mandy

About Me!
My Name: Mandy

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: Giving up smoking, encouragement needed!!   Giving up smoking, encouragement needed!! EmptyThu Aug 25, 2011 10:24 pm

Cold turkey and Sheer willpower my lovely, get rid of the fags, only take out money that you need so you don't have enough to buy them. And every time you're tempted remind yourself of the reasons why you're doing it. Once you get over the first two weeks the nicotine is out of your system so it's all in your head after that. Set the two week goal to start with, then after that you can tell yourself it's all psychological.

As well as all the things you've listed also remind yourself that you want to be around to see Ollie grow up, and it's proven that children whose parents smoke are more likely to start themselves

Good luck you can do it xxx
Back to top Go down
http://www.amandascakes.co.uk
kab

About Me!
My Name:
Number of Children:

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: Giving up smoking, encouragement needed!!   Giving up smoking, encouragement needed!! EmptyThu Aug 25, 2011 10:44 pm

Cold Turkey I'm afraid.

the thing is you actually want to have to give up. Because if your not 100% you'll go back to it even sneaky ones.

I was smoking 10 a day when i was 16, I met Trev and he didnt smoke and asked me to quit. I did that day. no problems what so ever.

Then as i got a bit older i started to smoke socially.

But as soon as i found out i was PG with Rowan I stopped and i have never smoked again. I have a thought lodged in my head that if i smoke it will harm Rowan and Hermione.
Back to top Go down
*Meg*

*Meg*

About Me!
My Name: Leah

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: Giving up smoking, encouragement needed!!   Giving up smoking, encouragement needed!! EmptyThu Aug 25, 2011 10:46 pm

Well I have also decided to pack it in again, once and for all. I did it before with Nicquitin lozenges. I have set a date 5th Sept. I have a mad party weekend that weekend so that will my last blow out.

Last time, I just occupied myself with something when I got a craving. Like sort out knicker drawers, sort kitchen cupboards etc.

I also stocked up on grapes and raw carrotts for when I had the urge to put something in my mouth. Good luck, you can be my quitting partner xx
Back to top Go down
snoopy21

About Me!
My Name:

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: Giving up smoking, encouragement needed!!   Giving up smoking, encouragement needed!! EmptyThu Aug 25, 2011 10:50 pm

Do any chemists near you do a quit scheme? I went and got patches or gum every week free by signing up for a 12 week program. The patches really help the 1st cpl of weeks.

A quit smoking ticker might help too so you can see how many days you have done and money you have saved. There's online forums too with people who are quitting if you think that would help. I used one for a bit, but tbh its not the same as banda as yes ppl support you/answer your questions but there isnt the same 'community feel'. Maybe im a freak but and feel the need to know too much about strangers lives Laughing

Um buy yourself wee treats every week or month. I know you are aiming for a dishwasher but even buying a nice shampoo or a top out of primark every few weeks to treat yourself is a good idea - smoking is instant gratification so I found regular treats worked better for me.

Be aware of your triggers. AT the start the thing I found hardest was 'encouraging' and 'rewarding' myself. Eg I wasnt aware that nearly before every task I did and after I had a cig - going to clear the kitchen but i'l have a cig 1st or iv finished cleaning up the toys i'l go for a cig. You'l find you have more time on your hands too as you dont take 10min breaks every hr or 2. Maybe encourage yourself by having a nice drink of juice after doing something... or 10 min banda time instead of going for that cig.

Good luck!

Back to top Go down
Jade

Jade

About Me!
My Name: Jade

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: Giving up smoking, encouragement needed!!   Giving up smoking, encouragement needed!! EmptyThu Aug 25, 2011 11:40 pm

I decided to quit when we had been TTC for a few months with no success but I knew I couldnt just suddenly stop and that I was deluding myself if I thought I could. so I took each day as it came and if I could cut out one or 2 fags a day and get down to the ones I really "needed" then Id have more chance of quitting.

It was only a couple of days and I was down to about 4 fags I think and then I just tacked them one at a time. by the time I was down to 2 a day those 2 made me feel sick so I just stopped.

If Id have just stopped though I think Id have really struggled but because I did it gradually my body helped me too - I didn't need patches or anything and I guess because I already went through the feeling sick from smoking Ive not had the cravings for them either.

I told myself that if I felt like I really needed a fag I could have one but I had to wait 5 or 10 minutes, if I still really wanted it then have it but if not you've proved to yourself you don't need em. After 5 minutes the cravings normally gone anyway

good luck Smile x
Back to top Go down
Emmylou

Emmylou

About Me!
My Name:
Number of Children:

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: Giving up smoking, encouragement needed!!   Giving up smoking, encouragement needed!! EmptySat Aug 27, 2011 4:37 am

I agree with Mandy cold turkey.. first 2 weeks are the hardest.. be strong..
Your docs will push you along the way, although they offered James counselling rather than patches. So he did good old will power.

Throw your fags out.
Wash all your clothes except i recently worn item.. after about 3/4 days sniff Puke2 minging!!
Think of your lungs
Saddo that I was, if you have an iPhone.. get the app that counts days and amount saved Smile
Be strong I gave up on 29th April 2010 and have never looked back. I smoked from 16 and only packed up to carry babies - with Hayden I was smoking within a month of birth Sad Its hard be zoo worth it.
Funny enough my son has just come in from his friends and her mum smokes - he smells awful and is eating dinner then off to scrub Smile I've become obsessive I hate the smell x
Back to top Go down
LisaMnGirls

LisaMnGirls

About Me!
My Name: Lisa
Number of Children: 2

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: Giving up smoking, encouragement needed!!   Giving up smoking, encouragement needed!! EmptySat Aug 27, 2011 5:21 am

Lita, im with you hunny!!!!

I am upto 7 days, since I quit. I have actually found the first couple of days pretty easy (I just cold turkey'd), its been the last couple of days that have been hard. Not insanely hard, just a little voice in the back of my head constantly reminding me of a smoke. Shocked Laughing

I gave up before ttc Isla, and only bloody started again about 5mths ago.....why the hell did i start again????? I think I was so sure i could just have the 'odd one'.

I scared now of health reasons, so I have to do it this time.

In my head I REALLY want one, but I know if I have one I will be so disappointed......so I wont
Back to top Go down
mariheartselijah

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: Giving up smoking, encouragement needed!!   Giving up smoking, encouragement needed!! EmptySat Aug 27, 2011 5:54 am

the inhalators are really good if any of you are struggling, you can get them on prescription cos they are pricey in shops but they are great cos you can still nip out side with it and it helped me loads.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: Giving up smoking, encouragement needed!!   Giving up smoking, encouragement needed!! Empty

Back to top Go down

Giving up smoking, encouragement needed!!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Babies & All :: Life :: Healthy Living-
Latest topics
» Spotting
Giving up smoking, encouragement needed!! Emptyby Marie-Pier Tue May 01, 2018 12:31 pm

» Help You Save The Expense Of Wedding Dress
Giving up smoking, encouragement needed!! Emptyby thefashion Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:09 pm

» Select from online wedding dress stores
Giving up smoking, encouragement needed!! Emptyby dfwre Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:52 pm

» A wide collection of Wedding Decoration Ideas
Giving up smoking, encouragement needed!! Emptyby sahalegail Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:29 pm

» Casual wedding dress in higher need?
Giving up smoking, encouragement needed!! Emptyby dfwre Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:18 pm

» An Amazing collection of Wedding Decoration
Giving up smoking, encouragement needed!! Emptyby sahalegail Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:12 pm

» Teddy Bears Picnic Party Supplies?
Giving up smoking, encouragement needed!! Emptyby sahalegail Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:39 am

» baby esme grace
Giving up smoking, encouragement needed!! Emptyby liberty Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:01 am

» For Sell:Stokke XPLORY Stroller/Bugaboo camel
Giving up smoking, encouragement needed!! Emptyby garyboatner Thu May 02, 2013 5:28 pm

» For Sell:Stokke XPLORY Stroller/Bugaboo camel
Giving up smoking, encouragement needed!! Emptyby garyboatner Thu May 02, 2013 5:27 pm

» Natures Sway Hammock & Stand
Giving up smoking, encouragement needed!! Emptyby Tell Wed May 01, 2013 8:22 pm

» Banda mobile
Giving up smoking, encouragement needed!! Emptyby EmVar Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:50 am

» is it enough at 10 weeks?
Giving up smoking, encouragement needed!! Emptyby char w Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:02 pm

» Merry Christmas
Giving up smoking, encouragement needed!! Emptyby Lisa Tue Dec 25, 2012 3:07 am

» Are Nativity Plays Still Compulsory?
Giving up smoking, encouragement needed!! Emptyby Emmylou Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:14 am

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Most Viewed Topics
Introduce Yourself!
September 2009 mummies
10 Illegal baby names
New Weight Watchers ProPoints plan explained.
say hello to the sun baby sensory song???
Cheesy Party songs (90s)
Whats the first thing you think of?
Banda Night In ladies (pics included)
pro points calculator
Most active topics
September 2009 mummies
Introduce Yourself!
Whats the first thing you think of?
Bin it or eat it
Change the letter.
Girls and boys names.
which one???