Babies & All
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome PageSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog inHome

Share | 

Toilet Training

View previous topic View next topic Go down 

Similar topics

+
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
*Meg*

*Meg*

About Me!
My Name: Leah
Number of Children: 1

Edit MY profile

Toilet Training _
PostSubject: Toilet Training   Toilet Training EmptyWed Sep 29, 2010 8:56 pm

Wanted to know what you ladies think is the best age to start??? What are your experiences so far and do you have any good tips or advice???

I've heard some say not before 18 months and I've read somewhere that you can start at 9 months Shocked

Last edited by MiniMeg on Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
tattyT

tattyT

About Me!
My Name: tattyT
Number of Children: 3

Edit MY profile

Toilet Training _
PostSubject: Re: Toilet Training   Toilet Training EmptyWed Sep 29, 2010 9:11 pm

My Jaiden was impossible to even consider it we tried every trick in the book but nothing seemed to work. We had pull ups on him and pants over the top (after much of a challenge) then 1 day just before his 3rd birthday we had just ran out of pull ups so i asked him what should we do? (fully expecting him to say lets go to the shop and buy some more But he said well ill just have to wear my pants with no pull ups on Shocked
So thats what we did and that was the end of nappies and piull ups I did think he would be goin to school in nappies but hes all trained up now and very rarely has any accidents now

Great post btw could of done with it when i was trying to get jaiden out of nappies I think you gotta let them take the lead and they will do it when they are ready and not b4 Smile

Good luck
Back to top Go down
*Meg*

*Meg*

About Me!

Edit MY profile

Toilet Training _
PostSubject: Re: Toilet Training   Toilet Training EmptyWed Sep 29, 2010 9:19 pm

yeh thats my thinking. i dont believe in forcing the issue as its a very private/sensitive thing and alot of children could end up with confidence problems if the subject is not tackled in the right way. Cerys is 13 months so will maybe think about it after Christmas x
Back to top Go down
Zee

Zee

About Me!
My Name: Zee

Edit MY profile

Toilet Training _
PostSubject: Toilet training   Toilet Training EmptyThu Sep 30, 2010 12:38 am

We've been doing the 'relaxed approach' when it comes to potty training our LO. And so far has been doing quite well, he began using the potty of his own accord when he had nappy free time. So we think we are getting some where..no!! Now he see's it as a game, when he starts doing the wee-wee dance I say 'you need potty?' and he runs off like its a huge game Rolling Eyes and will hold onto it for ages scratch.

So we don't make a fuss and just accept it, but now over the past couple of days he's been doing this with his poo's, he does the 'dance' but gets upset too cos he needs to poo, but he won't do it in his nappy and refuses to sit on the potty affraid

This morning it took him a good 40mins running round clenching his cheeks, upset etc and he just wouldn't part with it scratch I offered the potty, no?! He sat on the loo whilst we sang..No?! Nothing. He just looked so desperate, bless him. I just don't get it.

Has anyone else had this?
I've heard its common for toddlers to take a while adjusting to poo's on the potty and would rather do it in the nappy Neutral but Oliver won't do it in either scratch
Back to top Go down
Vicki

Vicki

About Me!
My Name: Vicki

Edit MY profile

Toilet Training _
PostSubject: Re: Toilet Training   Toilet Training EmptyThu Sep 30, 2010 1:00 am

i cant really help much im affraid, i am doinf the relaxed approach with lilly also but she thinks its a game sometimes too, she sits on the potty when she says she needs to go but she gets on and off it about 20 times then runs around laughing and has on few occasions had an accident on the floor!!

lilly refuses to poo on her potty atm and will do it in a nappy but then screams when she has done it as she doesnt like the feeling of it in the nappy!?

im sure with a bit of time he will be fine and do it on the potty, hope you get it sorted and sorry i cant offer any advice xxxxx
Back to top Go down
Zee

Zee

About Me!

Edit MY profile

Toilet Training _
PostSubject: Re: Toilet Training   Toilet Training EmptyThu Sep 30, 2010 2:09 am

Ooo, I got all confuddled then when I couldn't find the post Laughing

Thanks Vicki. I just see him running round struggling bless him. I've been looking up and have got a few tips, so i'll see how it goes.
Back to top Go down
*Meg*

*Meg*

About Me!

Edit MY profile

Toilet Training _
PostSubject: Re: Toilet Training   Toilet Training EmptyThu Sep 30, 2010 2:12 am

LOL Zee Laughing I had already started a sticky this morning on toilet training so thought it would be better to merge your post into here x
Back to top Go down
Zee

Zee

About Me!

Edit MY profile

Toilet Training _
PostSubject: Re: Toilet Training   Toilet Training EmptyThu Sep 30, 2010 6:53 am

MiniMeg wrote:
LOL Zee Laughing I had already started a sticky this morning on toilet training so thought it would be better to merge your post into here x

I never even noticed the sticky when I came on previously, I think I wonder round with my eyes closed Laughing

Good thinking Batman Toilet Training 827557
Back to top Go down
Lisa
Admin
Lisa

About Me!
My Name: Lisa

Edit MY profile

Toilet Training _
PostSubject: Re: Toilet Training   Toilet Training EmptyThu Sep 30, 2010 7:06 am

My mind has changed a couple of time, but I think I have decided nw what to do!

I read that the earlier you start - the longer it takes, and vice versa the later you start the quicker they learn

So I am waiting! I think until she is 2 at least
Back to top Go down
http://www.babiesandall.co.uk
Zee

Zee

About Me!

Edit MY profile

Toilet Training _
PostSubject: Re: Toilet Training   Toilet Training EmptyThu Sep 30, 2010 7:19 am

Lisa wrote:

I read that the earlier you start - the longer it takes, and vice versa the later you start the quicker they learn

That is true Lisa..my friend started potty training her little girl just after she turned one, and is still doing so (she's 2 in Dec). I have known older kids not even attempt potty training until 2.5-3yrs old and its done in a matter of weeks Shocked

Thats why i'm going more relaxed. The potty only makes an appearance when he's necked, all fun, no stress Very Happy
Was just worried that he wasn't pooing on/in either potty or nappy..but we had a breakthrough tonight and he pooped in his pants lol Laughing Laughing Laughing
Back to top Go down

Edit MY profile

Toilet Training _
PostSubject: Re: Toilet Training   Toilet Training EmptyFri Oct 08, 2010 8:21 am

I have been familiarising Wil with the toilet and potty since he was 5 months old so it is just part of his life and has always been there.

We catch about 50% of poos in the toilet because he has too build up to it so we have lots of poo faces and straining noises before there is any output. If I suspect poo I shout 'quick toilet' and Wil runs to the nearest toilet. We have training seats next to each toilet and a selection of books and toys to keep him occupied until we get results. Wil gets lots of praise when he does anything in the toilet.

(the added benefit is that cleaning a little bum after a toilet visit is a lot easier than cleaning a mucky nappy bum that has been sat on No )

Wil is nowhere near ready for actual potty training but when he is it should be all familiar and not scary.
Back to top Go down
*Meg*

*Meg*

About Me!

Edit MY profile

Toilet Training _
PostSubject: Re: Toilet Training   Toilet Training EmptyFri Oct 08, 2010 8:31 am

i like the idea of books and toys near the toilet Very Happy great to keep them occupied and relaxed x
Back to top Go down
Mario

Edit MY profile

Toilet Training _
PostSubject: Re: Toilet Training   Toilet Training EmptyTue Oct 19, 2010 7:07 pm

We have bought c a potty for familiarisation but she refuses to sit on it at all, we've tried a cheapy one, a seat one with a lid and a ladder with a toilet topper but she doesnt like sitting on any of em so i cba to force the issue. Ive left the one with the lid next to our toilet and she likes to come and open the lid while im weeing and shut it and the big toilet lid after.

Ive decided beyond this step im doing now with familiarising her and asking her does your nappy need changing/have you done a wee/have you done a poo not to press it. Slowly slowly n all that. Im certainly not doing it before baby is born so i have at least 6 months of just letting her know the potty is ok and getting her used to knowing her body sensations before she tries it.

Plus at the mo she only knows AFTER she has been and not before so no real use yet, once she knows early enough to tell me wee wee or poo poo will consider it.
Back to top Go down
XLeanneX

XLeanneX

About Me!
My Name: is Leanne
Number of Children: 3

Edit MY profile

Toilet Training _
PostSubject: Re: Toilet Training   Toilet Training EmptyWed Oct 27, 2010 6:17 am

Jacks two now so have for the past couple of weeks been have nappy off at home asking him if he needs wee/poo, made a sticker chart etc but he's just not ready! He hasn't done anything in the potty so do you think i should stop and try later or carry on in case i confuse him??
Back to top Go down
Kate

Kate

About Me!
My Name: Kate

Edit MY profile

Toilet Training _
PostSubject: Re: Toilet Training   Toilet Training EmptyWed Oct 27, 2010 8:04 am

We got one of those potty chair things at the weekend just to get her used to the idea that it is for wees and poos! This is the one we got but we were confused about whether to get a potty, this chair thing or the thing that goes on the loo. What do people think are most helpful?

http://www.toysrus.co.uk/Babies-R-Us/Bathing/Coordinating-Bath-Sets/Potty-Chair-in-Ducks(0014082)
Back to top Go down

Edit MY profile

Toilet Training _
PostSubject: Re: Toilet Training   Toilet Training EmptyThu Oct 28, 2010 1:02 am

My wee girl tells you when she's done a pee or poo. Sometimes she holds her front before she pees. Does anyone that's already taught their child how to potty have tips on teaching a 20month old how to use a potty and what type should I buy?

There is loads of information on net but I get overwhelmed by it all Sad
Back to top Go down
drkentang

drkentang

Edit MY profile

Toilet Training _
PostSubject: Re: Toilet Training   Toilet Training EmptyFri Jan 07, 2011 1:13 am

I use a smaller toilet seat with my Luna, and would hug her and she'd lay her head on my shoulder.
I go "ssssh" when I want her to pee, and "mmmmmh" when I want her to poo.

I also ask her to tell us when she wants to go pee or poo. She does so sometimes, but more often than not she'd pee / poo herself. haha... maybe it takes a bit more time.
Back to top Go down
Niccsy

Niccsy

Edit MY profile

Toilet Training _
PostSubject: potty training help   Toilet Training EmptyThu Feb 10, 2011 1:12 am

ok first one, he wont do a poo on the toilet, how do i try and overcome this before it turns into a big issue?

secondly - how long do i give him before i dare take him out without a nappy on - its only day 3, but yesterday was only half a day cos my mum had him while i slept after a nightshift!

thirdly - how often should he be needing to wee? so far its like every half an hour - 45 minutes! seems a lot!

ty in advanc e!
x
Back to top Go down
*Meg*

*Meg*

About Me!

Edit MY profile

Toilet Training _
PostSubject: Re: Toilet Training   Toilet Training EmptyThu Feb 10, 2011 1:45 am

Errrrrrrrrm we haven't got to this stage yet, so Im no help really. Gill (Gill&Will) had some good advice. I think its in the Toilet Training sticky in toddler talk x
Back to top Go down
*Meg*

*Meg*

About Me!

Edit MY profile

Toilet Training _
PostSubject: Re: Toilet Training   Toilet Training EmptyThu Feb 10, 2011 1:46 am

http://www.babiesandall.com/t2087-toilet-training

Here it is x
Back to top Go down
Niccsy

Niccsy

Edit MY profile

Toilet Training _
PostSubject: Re: Toilet Training   Toilet Training EmptyThu Feb 10, 2011 1:54 am

ah ty xx
Back to top Go down
Niccsy

Niccsy

Edit MY profile

Toilet Training _
PostSubject: Re: Toilet Training   Toilet Training EmptyThu Feb 10, 2011 1:58 am

hmmm we dont get any signs he is gna poo so cant rush him there!
He is wearing pants through the day at the min, and doing really well with wee wee's just not poos!
x
Back to top Go down
*Meg*

*Meg*

About Me!

Edit MY profile

Toilet Training _
PostSubject: Re: Toilet Training   Toilet Training EmptyThu Feb 10, 2011 2:03 am

awww love him, he'll get there. Im dreading it when it's time for Cerys to be trained Shocked x. I'll move this post into the sticky, you might get more replies x
Back to top Go down
Zee

Zee

About Me!

Edit MY profile

Toilet Training _
PostSubject: Re: Toilet Training   Toilet Training EmptyThu Feb 10, 2011 9:23 am

Niccsy wrote:
ok first one, he wont do a poo on the toilet, how do i try and overcome this before it turns into a big issue?

secondly - how long do i give him before i dare take him out without a nappy on - its only day 3, but yesterday was only half a day cos my mum had him while i slept after a nightshift!

thirdly - how often should he be needing to wee? so far its like every half an hour - 45 minutes! seems a lot!

ty in advanc e!
x

Pooing on the toilet - we can usually tell when he needs to poo cos he gets this concentrated face, so we just pop him on the potty. Or if he's mid poo we would sit him on, or what I have done is to empty the content of his nappy in his potty and we go together and say 'bye bye poo's!!' as we flush it down the loo Laughing Making a big song and dance about it. When he does poo on his potty or even a tiny 'ickle half poo..make a HUGE fuss and he'll want to do it all the more Laughing
But for a few months leading upto potty training he used to come to the loo with me and we'd say 'bye bye' to my poo Puke Shocked Embarassed Rolling Eyes Laughing

Could you try him in pull-ups when you go out, and tell him to tell you if he needs wee's etc
We were wearing undies in the house and pull ups when we wnt out, for the 1st few days he was still weeing in his pullups but then he just stopped and started telling me 'wee wee'. Today we'd gone shopping and he needed a wee - no toilets about so I said 'baby, you got pullups on if your desperate' so rushing round, got my shopping and he was still going 'wee wee's' managed to get home for him to do big wee's in his potty Laughing So basically the past few pullups hes wore when out and about have been bone dry so now am risking him in grundies pale

As for the amount he wee's geez! he wee's for england, but he drinks a lot. He can have a drink 5mins later he wants a wee - then wants wee's every 2 mins for about 20mins but will then go for ages scratch
I think as time passes they learn to control it for longer spells, but its good if he wants to go regular cos hes making the conection with the sensation he's getting and wee'ing. Very Happy

Hope thats helped - Keep us updated Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Lisa
Admin
Lisa

About Me!
My Name: Lisa

Edit MY profile

Toilet Training _
PostSubject: Re: Toilet Training   Toilet Training EmptyThu Feb 10, 2011 11:37 am

I have no idea when Izzy will be ready

She is funny cos quite often when she has a wet nappy she tells me so I take it off and let her run round with no nappy on (she is quite good now and very rarely wees, maybe a good sign?) as soon as the nappy is off she says potty and goes sits on it, but has never done anything on it.

She has a new potty, she did have the ikea one, but she couldnt get the hang of sitting on it, so this one is easier to sit on Toilet Training 8609678677011264
Back to top Go down
http://www.babiesandall.co.uk
Sponsored content

Edit MY profile

Toilet Training _
PostSubject: Re: Toilet Training   Toilet Training Empty

Back to top Go down

Toilet Training

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Babies & All :: Children & Parenting :: Toddler Talk :: Potty Training-
Latest topics
» Spotting
Toilet Training Emptyby Marie-Pier Tue May 01, 2018 12:31 pm

» Help You Save The Expense Of Wedding Dress
Toilet Training Emptyby thefashion Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:09 pm

» Select from online wedding dress stores
Toilet Training Emptyby dfwre Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:52 pm

» A wide collection of Wedding Decoration Ideas
Toilet Training Emptyby sahalegail Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:29 pm

» Casual wedding dress in higher need?
Toilet Training Emptyby dfwre Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:18 pm

» An Amazing collection of Wedding Decoration
Toilet Training Emptyby sahalegail Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:12 pm

» Teddy Bears Picnic Party Supplies?
Toilet Training Emptyby sahalegail Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:39 am

» baby esme grace
Toilet Training Emptyby liberty Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:01 am

» For Sell:Stokke XPLORY Stroller/Bugaboo camel
Toilet Training Emptyby garyboatner Thu May 02, 2013 5:28 pm

» For Sell:Stokke XPLORY Stroller/Bugaboo camel
Toilet Training Emptyby garyboatner Thu May 02, 2013 5:27 pm

» Natures Sway Hammock & Stand
Toilet Training Emptyby Tell Wed May 01, 2013 8:22 pm

» Banda mobile
Toilet Training Emptyby EmVar Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:50 am

» is it enough at 10 weeks?
Toilet Training Emptyby char w Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:02 pm

» Merry Christmas
Toilet Training Emptyby Lisa Tue Dec 25, 2012 3:07 am

» Are Nativity Plays Still Compulsory?
Toilet Training Emptyby Emmylou Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:14 am

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Most Viewed Topics
Introduce Yourself!
September 2009 mummies
10 Illegal baby names
New Weight Watchers ProPoints plan explained.
Cheesy Party songs (90s)
say hello to the sun baby sensory song???
Whats the first thing you think of?
Banda Night In ladies (pics included)
pro points calculator
Most active topics
September 2009 mummies
Introduce Yourself!
Whats the first thing you think of?
Bin it or eat it
Change the letter.
Girls and boys names.
which one???
Count to a 1000 in words