Babies & All
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome PageSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog inHome

Share | 

hes sucking his thumb

View previous topic View next topic Go down 

Similar topics

+
AuthorMessage
Clare

Clare

About Me!
My Name: Clare
Number of Children: 2

Edit MY profile

hes sucking his thumb _
PostSubject: hes sucking his thumb   hes sucking his thumb EmptyWed Aug 17, 2011 8:09 am

help,

lucas his sucking his thumb,

during the day if icatch him doing it, i take it out and give him his dummy or his dogs ear he likes to suck..

but last night i was woken by sucking and he was doing it in his sleep.

i want him to stop, i want him to have a dummy,
any thoughts will be helpful thanks

i'm off to bed so will catch up in the morning, its been a long day and i'm exhausted, but wanted to write this before i forget again
Back to top Go down
mariheartselijah

Edit MY profile

hes sucking his thumb _
PostSubject: Re: hes sucking his thumb   hes sucking his thumb EmptyWed Aug 17, 2011 8:12 am

no idea why you want him to stop, but i hope it isn't a real dogs ear!!!
Back to top Go down
Zee

Zee

About Me!
My Name: Zee
Number of Children: 1

Edit MY profile

hes sucking his thumb _
PostSubject: Re: hes sucking his thumb   hes sucking his thumb EmptyWed Aug 17, 2011 8:38 am

Tbh hun I wouldn't worry..thumb/ dummy - whats the difference?

He's at that age where he's just exploring his hands etc so I wouldn't try and stop him.
Even if its for comfort - let him Smile Tbh I'd have thought it a good thing - in my experience it was a nightmare waking every 2 mins to put Oliver's dummy in in the middle of the night, so if he finds comfort in his thumb/finger when he hasn't got a dummy..i'd be happy Wink

Encouraging a dummy over thumb sucking doesn't necessarily mean he'll never suck his thumb, just like allowing him now..he may quickly grow out of it. I had a dummy, but still went on to suck my thumb and so did my bro and cousins lol Laughing

If you really wanted to discourage it you could try mittens, but me personally think its an important part of their development when they are exploring their body, textures, feeling etc
Back to top Go down
Mario

Edit MY profile

hes sucking his thumb _
PostSubject: Re: hes sucking his thumb   hes sucking his thumb EmptyWed Aug 17, 2011 8:59 am

I understand your reasoning Clare as Id rather my girls have a dummy than a thumb purely cos you can take a dummy away. Id say give him the dummy in the day when you see it but dont fret if hes doing it sometimes. Thats how I did it with C (and am doing with A) and eventually she got bored of the thumb and gave up the dummy in time too and now has neither
Back to top Go down
olliesmammy

olliesmammy

Edit MY profile

hes sucking his thumb _
PostSubject: Re: hes sucking his thumb   hes sucking his thumb EmptyWed Aug 17, 2011 10:00 am

Amelia doesnt like her thumbs. they are too small for her lol. WHt I'd give for her jsut to be ble to pop a thumb in though rather than the dummy game every 5 minsx
Back to top Go down
snoopy21

About Me!
My Name:

Edit MY profile

hes sucking his thumb _
PostSubject: Re: hes sucking his thumb   hes sucking his thumb EmptyWed Aug 17, 2011 11:41 am

Im 27 and still suck my thumb so Im on Lucas's side Laughing Can totally understand why he loves his thumb!

From my mums point of view she tried everything to stop me doing it - offered a dummy as a tiny baby- spat out, as I got older mittens to bed, bandages taped on, plasters, stop and grow, embarrassing me. Nothing worked - I ripped/chewed the plasters off and learnt to suck & spit until the stop and grow taste disappeared.

I mainly now just do it when im tired - have to do it to get to sleep! I dont know what to suggest. Most kids do grow out of it, but a few dont. Iv never got bullied for it, my teeth are fine (though I did have braces as a teen & that prob was linked to an extent), I dont do it in public very often.... I duno, its not the end of the world is what im saying! Keep offering dummy is all I can say, good luck x
Back to top Go down
Suse

Suse

About Me!
My Name: Suse

Edit MY profile

hes sucking his thumb _
PostSubject: Re: hes sucking his thumb   hes sucking his thumb EmptyWed Aug 17, 2011 6:03 pm

Libby sucked/sucks her thumb, she rarely does it though and since she was about 12 months will only do it if shes really tired - never when we're out and about.

I'm desparate for Dexter to suck his thumb too, he's getting there slowly. Personally I prefer it, Libby is a brilliant sleeper and always has been (well from when she was about 6 months old). A thumb is there, always available etc.

If you're adament that you dont want him to use his thumb then Mario's advice sounds great. xx
Back to top Go down
Clare

Clare

About Me!

Edit MY profile

hes sucking his thumb _
PostSubject: Re: hes sucking his thumb   hes sucking his thumb EmptyWed Aug 17, 2011 10:30 pm

thanks ladies,

as mario says you can take a dummy away, the thumb is already there, and after you've seen a 30yr old woman doing it in a professionals meeting, it makes you not want your kids to do it, to be honest.

well this morning he as found he can suck rattles and things, i think he is exploring and he only has his dummy to sleep in the day, at night we put him in crib and he goes off himself.

but i'm going to try marios advice, thanks hun,
Back to top Go down
snoopy21

About Me!
My Name:

Edit MY profile

hes sucking his thumb _
PostSubject: Re: hes sucking his thumb   hes sucking his thumb EmptyThu Aug 18, 2011 5:55 am

ClareandRuss wrote:
thanks ladies,

as mario says you can take a dummy away, the thumb is already there, and after you've seen a 30yr old woman doing it in a professionals meeting, it makes you not want your kids to do it, to be honest.,

Erm have you been in a meeting with me?! Laughing I dont think I do it in work but sometimes Im not even aware im doing it! Hope you get it nipped in the bud x
Back to top Go down
Clare

Clare

About Me!

Edit MY profile

hes sucking his thumb _
PostSubject: Re: hes sucking his thumb   hes sucking his thumb EmptyThu Aug 18, 2011 6:56 am

thanks hun, hes been sucking his rattle and all his fingers today, sneaked his thumb in a couple of times but apart from that hes been ok
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Edit MY profile

hes sucking his thumb _
PostSubject: Re: hes sucking his thumb   hes sucking his thumb Empty

Back to top Go down

hes sucking his thumb

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Babies & All :: Children & Parenting :: Baby Babble-
Latest topics
» Spotting
hes sucking his thumb Emptyby Marie-Pier Tue May 01, 2018 12:31 pm

» Help You Save The Expense Of Wedding Dress
hes sucking his thumb Emptyby thefashion Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:09 pm

» Select from online wedding dress stores
hes sucking his thumb Emptyby dfwre Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:52 pm

» A wide collection of Wedding Decoration Ideas
hes sucking his thumb Emptyby sahalegail Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:29 pm

» Casual wedding dress in higher need?
hes sucking his thumb Emptyby dfwre Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:18 pm

» An Amazing collection of Wedding Decoration
hes sucking his thumb Emptyby sahalegail Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:12 pm

» Teddy Bears Picnic Party Supplies?
hes sucking his thumb Emptyby sahalegail Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:39 am

» baby esme grace
hes sucking his thumb Emptyby liberty Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:01 am

» For Sell:Stokke XPLORY Stroller/Bugaboo camel
hes sucking his thumb Emptyby garyboatner Thu May 02, 2013 5:28 pm

» For Sell:Stokke XPLORY Stroller/Bugaboo camel
hes sucking his thumb Emptyby garyboatner Thu May 02, 2013 5:27 pm

» Natures Sway Hammock & Stand
hes sucking his thumb Emptyby Tell Wed May 01, 2013 8:22 pm

» Banda mobile
hes sucking his thumb Emptyby EmVar Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:50 am

» is it enough at 10 weeks?
hes sucking his thumb Emptyby char w Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:02 pm

» Merry Christmas
hes sucking his thumb Emptyby Lisa Tue Dec 25, 2012 3:07 am

» Are Nativity Plays Still Compulsory?
hes sucking his thumb Emptyby Emmylou Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:14 am

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Most Viewed Topics
Introduce Yourself!
September 2009 mummies
10 Illegal baby names
New Weight Watchers ProPoints plan explained.
Cheesy Party songs (90s)
say hello to the sun baby sensory song???
Whats the first thing you think of?
Banda Night In ladies (pics included)
pro points calculator
Most active topics
September 2009 mummies
Introduce Yourself!
Whats the first thing you think of?
Bin it or eat it
Change the letter.
Girls and boys names.
which one???
Count to a 1000 in words