Babies & All
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome PageSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog inHome

Share | 

breast feeding help

View previous topic View next topic Go down 

Similar topics

+
AuthorMessage
tattyT

tattyT

About Me!
My Name: tattyT
Number of Children: 3

Edit MY profile

breast feeding help  _
PostSubject: breast feeding help    breast feeding help  EmptyMon Jan 09, 2012 1:31 am

So after 2 failed attempts im mad enough to want to try it again

So any advice tips help research or preperation tips would be muchly apprecieated from U marvolous bfing mummies Smile Thanks XX
Back to top Go down
Suse

Suse

About Me!
My Name: Suse
Number of Children: 2

Edit MY profile

breast feeding help  _
PostSubject: Re: breast feeding help    breast feeding help  EmptyMon Jan 09, 2012 1:37 am

One word - perseverance!!

I wont lie, it was ridiculously hard for the first week - my nipples were chapped, sore and bleeding that much that when Dexter bought up some milk it was pink (was exactly the same with Libby too), but this does only last a week max.

It was also very hard with Dexter due to his reflux as he was feeding so often that it literally felt like I was feeding him ALL of the time but it did get better and now after 9 months it's brilliant. I'm planning to stop at 12 months if he'll let me (I BF Libby for 13.5 months).

Saying that, if it doesnt work it's not the end of the world hun.
Back to top Go down
liberty

liberty

Edit MY profile

breast feeding help  _
PostSubject: Re: breast feeding help    breast feeding help  EmptyMon Jan 09, 2012 1:41 am

Yeah I agree with Suse. A lot of it is just keeping going because you both get better at it. I was lucky because Jamie could latch himself on right from birth but if you struggle I'd get in touch with one of the bf groups because they can help you. You have to remember it is tough as well as you're the only one that can feed him. It does feel like you're feeding them all the time (although I suspect that's actually because Jamie did feed constantly). However, it can't be all bad because I'm struggling with giving up now.

Don't beat yourself up if it doesn't work or you combi feed though. Remember if you do combi feed they advise you to wait a month so the bottle won't affect the latch
Back to top Go down
Jade

Jade

About Me!
My Name: Jade
Number of Children: 1

Edit MY profile

breast feeding help  _
PostSubject: Re: breast feeding help    breast feeding help  EmptyMon Jan 09, 2012 3:06 am

As a failed breast feeder my advice is to prepare yourself to be feeding constantly, but don't give up as soon as it gets hard or you'll regret it...i do Sad
Back to top Go down
mariheartselijah

Edit MY profile

breast feeding help  _
PostSubject: Re: breast feeding help    breast feeding help  EmptyMon Jan 09, 2012 3:28 am

yeah perseverance is the thing.

some tips for being prepared: get some lansinoh and at about 36-37 weeks get fitted for some really comfy cotton breastfeeding bras (the ones with the clips at the top of the cups so you just undo one cup at a time - helps when your boobs are very full and sore) mothercare and markies are good and you will probably need 4 but they will last a long time, also get some tops with breastfeeding in mind so baggy t-shirts, or vests for wearing under tops (so when you pull the top up the vest still covers you) or proper breastfeeding tops. this way you will be warm and comfy when you are learning to feed. also get some breast pads..

be ready to feed ALOT every hour or two for at least a couple of weeks, remember that it is going to hurt no matter what, and then it will suddenly not hurt. try and get hold of a breastfeeding support group who might give you someone to contact when you really need help, or if you need help with the latch or something.

remember that it is absolutely best for your baby, and that you really want to do it for a while (hard thing to remember in the dead of night with bleeding nipples!) and that there is support here, the le leche league, local groups, hopefully your hv/midwife and i would imagine dave.

be prepared for sitting for LONG periods of time especially in teh evening but remember that you will come to enjoy and treasure that time as things get easier. you will also lose weight more easily, your recovery will be helped and your 'happy' hormones will be boosted. also remember that it isn't the end of the world if you do need to formula feed - you could also try a bit of both after a few weeks, it helped me a lot until i went back to exclusive breastfeeding (i got thrush in my nipples and it was very sore, but after was fine).

i think just having a positive frame of mind about it is the best thing though, knowing it is going to be hard but being determined to last it out, even if you say to yourself 'ok ill do it for 2 weeks' then after that 'ok another week' and before you know it, it will really be easier than messing around with bottles x
Back to top Go down
liberty

liberty

Edit MY profile

breast feeding help  _
PostSubject: Re: breast feeding help    breast feeding help  EmptyMon Jan 09, 2012 3:57 am

Yeah it is a plus in the middle of the night. They might not go as long between feeds but you can pick them up and lay down with them while they feed and be half asleep. You don't have any of the faff of boiling water, sterilising, going to get bottles,etc.

I found it helped to have something I liked to hand. I love reading so I kept my kindle close by for when he cluster fed in the evenings.
Back to top Go down
mrsmb

mrsmb

About Me!
My Name: Kim
Number of Children: 2

Edit MY profile

breast feeding help  _
PostSubject: Re: breast feeding help    breast feeding help  EmptyMon Jan 09, 2012 4:02 am

I would definitely agree that perseverance is the key. I found it really difficult at the start to keep feeding him constantly, especially with Stephen to look after too, but I'm so glad I stuck at it! I would agree with Mari about getting prepared with comfy bras and pads. I usually wear vest tops under my normal tops so that I can still cover up when I'm feeding which makes me feel much more comfy!
I'd also say take one day at a time. Some days I felt like I didn't want to carry on because I was so tired and fed up but I just kept going for that day and got through it. I had a breast feeding support worker come round as soon as I was home from the hospital and they kept in contact through the first 6 weeks and were always at the end of the phone if I needed to ask anything which really helped. I'd say try and get this support in place now so you already have somewhere to turn when baby arrives.
Also remember we're all here to help if you need us, but the most important thing at the end of the day is a happy mummy and baby so don't put too much pressure on yourself Very Happy
Back to top Go down
mariheartselijah

Edit MY profile

breast feeding help  _
PostSubject: Re: breast feeding help    breast feeding help  EmptyMon Jan 09, 2012 4:07 am

Quote :
I found it helped to have something I liked to hand. I love reading so I
kept my kindle close by for when he cluster fed in the evenings.
haha i watched boxsets of scrubs and series 1-9 or roseanne Laughing hmm can't do that next time with a toddler!
Back to top Go down
tattyT

tattyT

About Me!
My Name: tattyT
Number of Children: 3

Edit MY profile

breast feeding help  _
PostSubject: Re: breast feeding help    breast feeding help  EmptyMon Jan 09, 2012 7:45 am

I was in so much pain for about 4 5 months with Jaiden b4 i couldnt do it any more and with sophia she latched on lovely and even the deliving mw commented on the latch but with in 24 hours my nipple were blistered and bleeding she was so hungry just had 2 give her a bottle as had no support in the hospital as they were so busy Sad

But ill give it another go and just see what happens i guess I kow it will hurt and be tiring and hard work especially eith 2 already so will just give it my best shot again and hope i can get some1 to show me the way and hope 4 the best

Everything about this pregnancy has been so so different from the last 2 so heres hoping lol Smile

hnaks for all ur encouragement Smile XX
Back to top Go down
mariheartselijah

Edit MY profile

breast feeding help  _
PostSubject: Re: breast feeding help    breast feeding help  EmptyMon Jan 09, 2012 8:19 am

^ even if the same thing happened again and you had to give her a bottle, theres nothing to say you can't build your supply up again over time Smile nothing it totally final until you decide it x
Back to top Go down
GraceBean&Pip

Edit MY profile

breast feeding help  _
PostSubject: Re: breast feeding help    breast feeding help  EmptyMon Jan 09, 2012 9:57 am

Tara - two main things (just off to bed!)

1) you can mix and match early on, it's not bf or formula exclusively, honest honestly promise! Alternate feeds, give the nipples a break, help you not go insane waiting for milk to come in especially first few days.
2) nipple pain - well, nipple shields are a fab invention, boots own brand are good ('cos they're simple) - it will still be sore but not as bad. Alternate feeds again, mix in some expressing, whatever suits! (Breathe through the nipple pain just like contractions, slowly does it, it will improve and get easier). Lather the lansinoh - free on prescription too.

3) (oops) you know best. About both 1) and 2) and everything inbetween. Take advice and listen to all the tips but ultimately ignore the mw's / hv's and find what works for you and baby. Wink xx
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Edit MY profile

breast feeding help  _
PostSubject: Re: breast feeding help    breast feeding help  Empty

Back to top Go down

breast feeding help

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Babies & All :: General Chat :: The Lounge-
Latest topics
» Spotting
breast feeding help  Emptyby Marie-Pier Tue May 01, 2018 12:31 pm

» Help You Save The Expense Of Wedding Dress
breast feeding help  Emptyby thefashion Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:09 pm

» Select from online wedding dress stores
breast feeding help  Emptyby dfwre Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:52 pm

» A wide collection of Wedding Decoration Ideas
breast feeding help  Emptyby sahalegail Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:29 pm

» Casual wedding dress in higher need?
breast feeding help  Emptyby dfwre Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:18 pm

» An Amazing collection of Wedding Decoration
breast feeding help  Emptyby sahalegail Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:12 pm

» Teddy Bears Picnic Party Supplies?
breast feeding help  Emptyby sahalegail Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:39 am

» baby esme grace
breast feeding help  Emptyby liberty Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:01 am

» For Sell:Stokke XPLORY Stroller/Bugaboo camel
breast feeding help  Emptyby garyboatner Thu May 02, 2013 5:28 pm

» For Sell:Stokke XPLORY Stroller/Bugaboo camel
breast feeding help  Emptyby garyboatner Thu May 02, 2013 5:27 pm

» Natures Sway Hammock & Stand
breast feeding help  Emptyby Tell Wed May 01, 2013 8:22 pm

» Banda mobile
breast feeding help  Emptyby EmVar Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:50 am

» is it enough at 10 weeks?
breast feeding help  Emptyby char w Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:02 pm

» Merry Christmas
breast feeding help  Emptyby Lisa Tue Dec 25, 2012 3:07 am

» Are Nativity Plays Still Compulsory?
breast feeding help  Emptyby Emmylou Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:14 am

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Most Viewed Topics
Introduce Yourself!
September 2009 mummies
10 Illegal baby names
New Weight Watchers ProPoints plan explained.
Cheesy Party songs (90s)
say hello to the sun baby sensory song???
Whats the first thing you think of?
Banda Night In ladies (pics included)
pro points calculator
Most active topics
September 2009 mummies
Introduce Yourself!
Whats the first thing you think of?
Bin it or eat it
Change the letter.
Girls and boys names.
which one???
Count to a 1000 in words