Babies & All
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome PageSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog inHome

Share | 

Savings/Bank Accounts - Children

View previous topic View next topic Go down 

Similar topics

+
AuthorMessage
Laura

Laura

Edit MY profile

Savings/Bank Accounts - Children _
PostSubject: Savings/Bank Accounts - Children   Savings/Bank Accounts - Children EmptyMon Oct 11, 2010 11:10 pm

Has anybody got bank accounts for their little ones?

Aimee has got an account which has approx £1,000 in it, we have always put a little in every month and on her birthday and Xmas if she has had money, we put it in her account.

When she is 11, she will have full access to this account (building society rules) Shocked. My plan is to remove the money before this so that she doesnt do something silly and take it all and buy an ice cream van or something equally silly. I will then keep hold of the money (and any additional funds by then) in an account in my name until we feel that she is old enough to take responsiblity for it.

We are hoping that this money will go towards uni, a house deposit, a car, or possibly helping to contribute to her to afford to have children if she has to leave work, etc due to her heart condition.

If you have got accounts for your kids, when do you intend on letting them have the money? x
Back to top Go down
olliesmammy

olliesmammy

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: Savings/Bank Accounts - Children   Savings/Bank Accounts - Children EmptyMon Oct 11, 2010 11:14 pm

My nan had one for me and my brother and we got given it at 18, I basically pissed the money up against the wall! I'm only 20 now but I would have handled it much better now, so I htink 21 would be a good age.

Also my savings account was with nationwide and supposed to be controlled by me when I turned 11 but my nan just never gave me the book to take out money.
Back to top Go down
Laura

Laura

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: Savings/Bank Accounts - Children   Savings/Bank Accounts - Children EmptyMon Oct 11, 2010 11:17 pm

That is what worries me about giving it to her at 18. I think I will have to remove it from her account as she will automatically get full access at 18 and I dont want to get done for fraud or anything if I keep hold of it.

I was the same... my gran had an account for me and I totally wasted it... and I was 21 when I got it!

That is why I think I will just not tell her about it (well, she can have a portion in her account, so I can see how she manages it) until she is ready to buy something big/important. Even if she is 30 when that time comes!

x
Back to top Go down
Suse

Suse

About Me!
My Name: Suse
Number of Children: 2

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: Savings/Bank Accounts - Children   Savings/Bank Accounts - Children EmptyMon Oct 11, 2010 11:20 pm

When we got the child trust fund voucher we opened a savings account with Nationwide, no one can access it until she is 18, I'm 'hoping' she will do something sensible with the money then though. We usually save our change and then put it in her account around her birthday (along with any other money she may get). xx
Back to top Go down
LesleyandBethany

About Me!
My Name: Lesley
Number of Children: 1

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: Savings/Bank Accounts - Children   Savings/Bank Accounts - Children EmptyMon Oct 11, 2010 11:20 pm

Bethany has got money in 3 accounts, she has got a bank account with the natwest where we pay in each month, just a small amount, more to say that she has got a bank account, then she has got her child trust fund with the Nationwide but we don't pay anything into this with her being able to access it at 18, like you said so she doesn't do anything silly with it and finally she has a child investment trust which has the bulk of her money in it and we also pay into that monthly too.
Back to top Go down
olliesmammy

olliesmammy

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: Savings/Bank Accounts - Children   Savings/Bank Accounts - Children EmptyMon Oct 11, 2010 11:22 pm

Thats probably best, wait untill she has something big that she needs help with otherwise it's just spare money and easy to fritter away because she wont need it.

You get much better interest rates on childrens accounts though, so I'd leave it in there till she's 18 then transfer it.
Back to top Go down
LesleyandBethany

About Me!
My Name: Lesley

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: Savings/Bank Accounts - Children   Savings/Bank Accounts - Children EmptyMon Oct 11, 2010 11:22 pm

Should have said, the two accounts we are paying into we have not yet decided when she will get it, ideally, to help with uni or towards a house deposit.
Back to top Go down
CarlaAndCallum

CarlaAndCallum

About Me!
My Name: Carla

Edit MY profile

We didnt actually have an account like that but my mum payed for some my driving lessons and gave me half my car money aswell as helping me out when i moved into my own plaace xx I think i prob woulda blown it if i was givien a big mount x
Back to top Go down
olliesmammy

olliesmammy

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: Savings/Bank Accounts - Children   Savings/Bank Accounts - Children EmptyMon Oct 11, 2010 11:24 pm

Actually though, my youngest sister stole my nans car when she was 13 (lovely girl Shocked) and my nan took her money off her but as she was over 11 my sister had to sign to take it out, so leaving it there may not be an option for you
Back to top Go down
mandy

mandy

About Me!
My Name: Mandy

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: Savings/Bank Accounts - Children   Savings/Bank Accounts - Children EmptyTue Oct 12, 2010 12:18 am

Chloe has her child trust fund which she'll get at 18 and we've added a little to it, I also have a flexible saver for kids with Santander which I'm trustee on until she's 18, she has about £2000 in there at the moment but I'll move it out of there before her 18th birthday and put it somewhere else as I want her to use it sensibly. I've also put £1000 in premium bonds too, which I add to when she gets money gifts from relatives
Back to top Go down
http://www.amandascakes.co.uk

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: Savings/Bank Accounts - Children   Savings/Bank Accounts - Children EmptyTue Oct 12, 2010 12:25 am

braden and dita have their trust fund which we dont add to. They will obviously get that when they are 18, but their great grandma and grandad dont buy them presents they put money in their account instead, a different account, It is an account that can be accessed at any time, and my oh's grandparents have made it clear to us its not for them when they are older, its for things like, if they want their bedroom decorating, all new furniture etc, if they are going away they can take some for spending money etc, and just basically anything sensible at any point. We are hoping to take some out next year to get them both new beds. We can afford to get them standard ones, but with some extra we can get them both something really nice that will last.
I think its a great idea, but we wont use it for much so there will deffinately be some left in it for when they are older. They did the same for my oh, and he was given it completely when he was 18 and he was so sensible, he just added bits now and again and the money he had went as our deposit on the house! I hope my kids are as sensible!
x
Back to top Go down
GraceBean&Pip

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: Savings/Bank Accounts - Children   Savings/Bank Accounts - Children EmptyTue Oct 12, 2010 12:38 am

We put CTF with... erm... a bank... (nationwide?! can't think!) just to sit there basically as an extra £250 when bean is 18.
Then a child's regular saver account that we put money in each month with the Halifax, can only take money out by closing the account so will be for when he is 18 too.
Also his money box that bits of money go in - birthdays etc - which we hope to teach him when he is older to use (+pocket money) for when he wants to buy things himself. If it gets too much in there though we'll open a 'current' type account that this money can go into, but will be accessible as and when he wants it. Within some kind of boundaries Wink

Lol @ ice cream van - I like it Laughing
Back to top Go down
Lisa
Admin
Lisa

About Me!
My Name: Lisa

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: Savings/Bank Accounts - Children   Savings/Bank Accounts - Children EmptyTue Oct 12, 2010 12:57 am

We have 2 savings accounts with Nationwode, one is an instant access type that you can pay any amount into and has average interest rates, then there is a higher interest one, but you have to put £100 at a time, so I wait til the one has some in and then transfer

They are both in my name, I did apply for one for her with Natwest but they screwed her birth certificate up, then cocked it all up and said I needed to reapply, but i wasn't sending them the certificate back as they would probably rip it!
Back to top Go down
http://www.babiesandall.co.uk
pixel

About Me!
My Name:
Number of Children: 0

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: Savings/Bank Accounts - Children   Savings/Bank Accounts - Children EmptyTue Oct 12, 2010 1:42 am

i have one in my nephews name with Nationwide that he can get when he's 11. we're just not telling him about it though and he'll get it for his 18th to buy a car or whatever he wants.
we've not opened one for Arwyn yet cos we still haven't decided what we're doing with her CTF voucher but i'll probably just open the same savings account for her and put in £10 a month and anyone else can add to it if they want
Back to top Go down
Clare

Clare

About Me!
My Name: Clare
Number of Children: 2

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: Savings/Bank Accounts - Children   Savings/Bank Accounts - Children EmptyTue Oct 12, 2010 1:50 am

i have a savings account for rich which if its 11 then he entitled to that now, to be honest we put his child benefit in and use it at xmas, birthday or for clothes etc through the year.

my dad has opened isas for the grandchildren and they get that when they 18 to buy there first car and to insure it.

to be honest i wouldnt move rich money when he 18 its his money and if he just uses it then he does, hopefully i will teach him not to do this and that he will need it for car, flat etc
but thats me i had an account of my nans when i was 18 and i brought my car and a holiday with it, so didnt waste it and was always told the money was for a car.
but each to their own
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: Savings/Bank Accounts - Children   Savings/Bank Accounts - Children Empty

Back to top Go down

Savings/Bank Accounts - Children

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Babies & All :: General Chat :: The Lounge-
Latest topics
» Spotting
Savings/Bank Accounts - Children Emptyby Marie-Pier Tue May 01, 2018 12:31 pm

» Help You Save The Expense Of Wedding Dress
Savings/Bank Accounts - Children Emptyby thefashion Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:09 pm

» Select from online wedding dress stores
Savings/Bank Accounts - Children Emptyby dfwre Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:52 pm

» A wide collection of Wedding Decoration Ideas
Savings/Bank Accounts - Children Emptyby sahalegail Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:29 pm

» Casual wedding dress in higher need?
Savings/Bank Accounts - Children Emptyby dfwre Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:18 pm

» An Amazing collection of Wedding Decoration
Savings/Bank Accounts - Children Emptyby sahalegail Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:12 pm

» Teddy Bears Picnic Party Supplies?
Savings/Bank Accounts - Children Emptyby sahalegail Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:39 am

» baby esme grace
Savings/Bank Accounts - Children Emptyby liberty Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:01 am

» For Sell:Stokke XPLORY Stroller/Bugaboo camel
Savings/Bank Accounts - Children Emptyby garyboatner Thu May 02, 2013 5:28 pm

» For Sell:Stokke XPLORY Stroller/Bugaboo camel
Savings/Bank Accounts - Children Emptyby garyboatner Thu May 02, 2013 5:27 pm

» Natures Sway Hammock & Stand
Savings/Bank Accounts - Children Emptyby Tell Wed May 01, 2013 8:22 pm

» Banda mobile
Savings/Bank Accounts - Children Emptyby EmVar Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:50 am

» is it enough at 10 weeks?
Savings/Bank Accounts - Children Emptyby char w Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:02 pm

» Merry Christmas
Savings/Bank Accounts - Children Emptyby Lisa Tue Dec 25, 2012 3:07 am

» Are Nativity Plays Still Compulsory?
Savings/Bank Accounts - Children Emptyby Emmylou Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:14 am

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Most Viewed Topics
Introduce Yourself!
September 2009 mummies
10 Illegal baby names
New Weight Watchers ProPoints plan explained.
Cheesy Party songs (90s)
say hello to the sun baby sensory song???
Whats the first thing you think of?
Banda Night In ladies (pics included)
pro points calculator
Most active topics
September 2009 mummies
Introduce Yourself!
Whats the first thing you think of?
Bin it or eat it
Change the letter.
Girls and boys names.
which one???
Count to a 1000 in words