Babies & All
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome PageSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog inHome

Share | 

Bank Accounts - Children

View previous topic View next topic Go down 

Similar topics

+
AuthorMessage
Laura

Laura

Edit MY profile

Bank Accounts - Children _
PostSubject: Bank Accounts - Children   Bank Accounts - Children EmptyFri Jan 07, 2011 1:06 am

Do your kids have bank accounts, what are your 'rules' regarding them?

Aimee and Lily both have one but they get control over them when they reach 7 years old and get a cash card when they are 12. Now, there is no way that they are getting anywhere near that money until they have something 'proper' to spend it on. Whether it is for a house deposit, car or university.

I am planning on removing it and putting into an account in my name before either of them are old enough to be given control over it, and will just leave a couple of hundred in their accounts to give them a chance to see how they manage money.

What are you doing/planning on doing?

x
Back to top Go down
LisaGandAmelia

LisaGandAmelia

About Me!
My Name: Lisa
Number of Children: 1

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: Bank Accounts - Children   Bank Accounts - Children EmptyFri Jan 07, 2011 1:19 am

Amelia has 2 bank accounts. One that Dave an I pay money into and her birthday /Christmas/Easter money goes into, and one that her Grandma and Grandad pay into (massive bone of contention with me. Pisses me right off that she has to have a special account for their money, it's only so that they can say here you go Amelia look what Grandma and Grandad have given you, grrrr!). Both Dave and I are named on her account. We only have a pass book for it so that we're in full control of it. We're planning on giving her control of it when she is 16 but if she wants something senisble before then we may allow her to have a little out of it. When she's 16 she still will not be allowed to fritter it away and if she intends on going to Uni I may keep hold of the book until she's 18. What I may do at a later date is open her another little instant access account and that will be one that she can control but her main savings will be looked after by Dave and I x
Back to top Go down
gemz

gemz

About Me!
My Name: gemma
Number of Children: 2

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: Bank Accounts - Children   Bank Accounts - Children EmptyFri Jan 07, 2011 1:26 am

ha ha lisa im so glad its not just me, both mine have accounts mil opend, any money that side of the family give goes to her and she's like 'oh iv put it in their account' Mad what about the account i have!!!

anyhow, no they dont have an account as of yet, only their trust fund, but i may open one for them when they get a bit older and start getting pocket money x
Back to top Go down

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: Bank Accounts - Children   Bank Accounts - Children EmptyFri Jan 07, 2011 1:28 am

Who have you set up their accounts with Laura?
Back to top Go down

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: Bank Accounts - Children   Bank Accounts - Children EmptyFri Jan 07, 2011 1:31 am

Wil has an account will build up a tidy little sum for him until he needs a house deposit, car, gap year or whatever else he does with his life. We are not telling him that account exists until he is ready to use it.

I am planning to open a little account with him when he is old enough to understand money that he can use and put pocket money and birthday money in.
Back to top Go down
Laura

Laura

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: Bank Accounts - Children   Bank Accounts - Children EmptyFri Jan 07, 2011 1:34 am

My mum pays into A's & L's accounts but just gives me the money to put it in. Its silly that they want a seperate one for her.

Im worried that Aimee (very strong willed child) will go to the bank when she is 14, say she has lost the book and get all of her money out Shocked

x
Back to top Go down
Laura

Laura

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: Bank Accounts - Children   Bank Accounts - Children EmptyFri Jan 07, 2011 1:35 am

Terri wrote:
Who have you set up their accounts with Laura?

Their accounts are with Nationwide x
Back to top Go down
gemz

gemz

About Me!
My Name: gemma
Number of Children: 2

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: Bank Accounts - Children   Bank Accounts - Children EmptyFri Jan 07, 2011 1:40 am

Laura wrote:
Im worried that Aimee (very strong willed child) will go to the bank when she is 14, say she has lost the book and get all of her money out Shocked

x

my friend did that when she was 15...took out 6grand and has nothing to show for it Shocked x
Back to top Go down
LisaGandAmelia

LisaGandAmelia

About Me!

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: Bank Accounts - Children   Bank Accounts - Children EmptyFri Jan 07, 2011 1:42 am

Amelia's one with us is Nationwide too.

Gemz I refused to give Amelia's birth certificate over to MIL as I didn't want her having an account in her name that I wasn't in control over. MIL just guilt tripped Dave saying that we didn't trust her and that she was trying to do a nice thing and he said she could go ahead. Bank Accounts - Children 15967
Back to top Go down
Laura

Laura

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: Bank Accounts - Children   Bank Accounts - Children EmptyFri Jan 07, 2011 1:46 am

Grrr that is so bad Lisa, she is your daughter so it should be down to you to have control over them.

I am the only one with control over the girls, James wasnt with me so he didnt sign, which is probably a good thing as Aimee is richer than he is lol x
Back to top Go down
LisaGandAmelia

LisaGandAmelia

About Me!

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: Bank Accounts - Children   Bank Accounts - Children EmptyFri Jan 07, 2011 1:51 am

Haha Amelia has more money than me and Dave combined!!!!
Back to top Go down
Mario

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: Bank Accounts - Children   Bank Accounts - Children EmptyFri Jan 07, 2011 1:59 am

Caelyn has one neil and i pay into we are trustees for, one my MIL opened for her and one my mum opened for her. TBH im not bothrred by her grandparents opening her accounts as it means hopefully we can try one account out and see how she copes before giving her access to the others pmsl. Neil and i's will probably end up being one she can use to get herself bits during her teens and her grandparents accounts for the future
Back to top Go down
SuziandGracie

SuziandGracie

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: Bank Accounts - Children   Bank Accounts - Children EmptyFri Jan 07, 2011 2:17 am

gracie has one with lloyds and it works the same as lauras thing is i just wont tell her that she has control of it and wont let her have the card until she is 16 or 18 im a biatch of a mother x
Back to top Go down
CarlaAndCallum

CarlaAndCallum

About Me!
My Name: Carla

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: Bank Accounts - Children   Bank Accounts - Children EmptyFri Jan 07, 2011 10:48 am

We havent opened one for callum yet we was gonna do it from his 2nd birthday altho we have a piggybank in the front room with all the money he been given christmas/brithday wise frm family which will go into it when i gets open i would like to put it in where he cnat get it out untill 18 if its possible x
Were quite luckily ohs dad gives money for callum every x,as and birthdays so we can put it into account rather then opening a seperate one x
Back to top Go down
pixel

About Me!
My Name:
Number of Children: 0

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: Bank Accounts - Children   Bank Accounts - Children EmptyFri Jan 07, 2011 7:12 pm

Arwyn has one so far for family paying into and any money she gets for birthdays and Christmas, but we'll be doing a seperate account for the child trust voucher that we'll pay into.
we have the same account for our nephew, he can take over the account when he is 8 (it's the Nationwide one too) but we're just not going to tell him about it and that'll be his 18th birthday present from us. though my OH has said if he turns out to be a wee shit we're keeping the money Laughing
Back to top Go down
Laura

Laura

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: Bank Accounts - Children   Bank Accounts - Children EmptyFri Jan 07, 2011 7:37 pm

See this sounded good in theory but I was 12 when I opened my first bank account... I have visions of Aimee taking herself off to the bank, giving her details to open a new account and the lady saying 'oh, you already have an account with us, here is ten grand'!!!

They would be obliged to tell her as she can legally take control of it.

I'm defo moving all of it bar a couple of hundred x
Back to top Go down
carrieann&JJ

carrieann&JJ

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: Bank Accounts - Children   Bank Accounts - Children EmptyFri Jan 07, 2011 7:37 pm

i have one for jj and its got £800 in so far.
naitonwide too.
we not going to tell him untill he 18 but not having it untill 21 and its only going to be for car, house or uni!!
Back to top Go down
olliesmammy

olliesmammy

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: Bank Accounts - Children   Bank Accounts - Children EmptySat Jan 08, 2011 2:52 am

I rememberhaving mine at 18 and I blew the lot so I'll be setting up one where I'm in control then I will pay for things like driving lessons and a car out of it
Back to top Go down
~ Katie ~

~ Katie ~

About Me!
My Name: Katie
Number of Children: 3

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: Bank Accounts - Children   Bank Accounts - Children EmptySat Jan 08, 2011 8:11 am

we have been saying since our babies were born that we would open them all an account, but we have only just got round to it new years eve Shocked
we have put their xmas money into it as we opened them, and any future bday/xmas money will be going in too. and we have set up a standing order for £10 each every 4weeks from our current accound directly into each of theirs.
thats with Natwest. i have no idea when they get a card and have control of it themselves, i didnt ask that Embarassed nor was i told.
£130 a year each from me and oh and maybe £70 a year each from relatives for bday/xmas and when they are 18 they will have approx £3000, £3000 more than i did! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: Bank Accounts - Children   Bank Accounts - Children Empty

Back to top Go down

Bank Accounts - Children

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Babies & All :: General Chat :: The Lounge-
Latest topics
» Spotting
Bank Accounts - Children Emptyby Marie-Pier Tue May 01, 2018 12:31 pm

» Help You Save The Expense Of Wedding Dress
Bank Accounts - Children Emptyby thefashion Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:09 pm

» Select from online wedding dress stores
Bank Accounts - Children Emptyby dfwre Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:52 pm

» A wide collection of Wedding Decoration Ideas
Bank Accounts - Children Emptyby sahalegail Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:29 pm

» Casual wedding dress in higher need?
Bank Accounts - Children Emptyby dfwre Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:18 pm

» An Amazing collection of Wedding Decoration
Bank Accounts - Children Emptyby sahalegail Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:12 pm

» Teddy Bears Picnic Party Supplies?
Bank Accounts - Children Emptyby sahalegail Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:39 am

» baby esme grace
Bank Accounts - Children Emptyby liberty Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:01 am

» For Sell:Stokke XPLORY Stroller/Bugaboo camel
Bank Accounts - Children Emptyby garyboatner Thu May 02, 2013 5:28 pm

» For Sell:Stokke XPLORY Stroller/Bugaboo camel
Bank Accounts - Children Emptyby garyboatner Thu May 02, 2013 5:27 pm

» Natures Sway Hammock & Stand
Bank Accounts - Children Emptyby Tell Wed May 01, 2013 8:22 pm

» Banda mobile
Bank Accounts - Children Emptyby EmVar Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:50 am

» is it enough at 10 weeks?
Bank Accounts - Children Emptyby char w Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:02 pm

» Merry Christmas
Bank Accounts - Children Emptyby Lisa Tue Dec 25, 2012 3:07 am

» Are Nativity Plays Still Compulsory?
Bank Accounts - Children Emptyby Emmylou Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:14 am

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Most Viewed Topics
Introduce Yourself!
September 2009 mummies
10 Illegal baby names
New Weight Watchers ProPoints plan explained.
Cheesy Party songs (90s)
say hello to the sun baby sensory song???
Whats the first thing you think of?
Banda Night In ladies (pics included)
pro points calculator
Most active topics
September 2009 mummies
Introduce Yourself!
Whats the first thing you think of?
Bin it or eat it
Change the letter.
Girls and boys names.
which one???
Count to a 1000 in words