Babies & All
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome PageSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog inHome

Share | 

Calpol question

View previous topic View next topic Go down 

Similar topics

+
AuthorMessage
Amandaplus2

Amandaplus2

About Me!
My Name: Amanda
Number of Children: 2

Edit MY profile

Calpol question _
PostSubject: Calpol question   Calpol question EmptyWed Oct 20, 2010 7:07 pm

I gave Lewis a bit of Calpol before bed as I think hes had a sore throat, first time I have given it 2 him. He only had a small feed at bed didnt want anymore and he slept till nearly 4am from 6.30pm. What the hell is that all about. He allways wakes for a feed about 10.30pm then again at 3am. Is it the calpol, does it make them sleep better. I couldnt believe it. And he slept till 7.30am and had a good feed at 8am. Maybe just a one off but could get used to that lol x
Back to top Go down
snoopy21

About Me!
My Name:
Number of Children: 1

Edit MY profile

Calpol question _
PostSubject: Re: Calpol question   Calpol question EmptyWed Oct 20, 2010 7:12 pm

Doesnt make much difference with caitlin tbh. Though I gave her some last night after her MMR & she slept pretty well (after a huge going to bed tantrum Rolling Eyes ).

Guess its maybe them being ill makes them sleep sometimes...
Back to top Go down

Edit MY profile

Calpol question _
PostSubject: Re: Calpol question   Calpol question EmptyWed Oct 20, 2010 7:19 pm

Calpols never really had that effect but ive heard a lot of babies do.
Do u really mean he slept from 4am-6.30pm Shocked ?
Back to top Go down
Amandaplus2

Amandaplus2

About Me!

Edit MY profile

Calpol question _
PostSubject: Re: Calpol question   Calpol question EmptyWed Oct 20, 2010 7:22 pm

Terri wrote:
Calpols never really had that effect but ive heard a lot of babies do.
Do u really mean he slept from 4am-6.30pm Shocked ?

He slept from 6.30pm till nearly 4am then went back to sleep till 7.30am x
Back to top Go down
MrsDebs

MrsDebs

About Me!
My Name: Debs

Edit MY profile

Calpol question _
PostSubject: Re: Calpol question   Calpol question EmptyWed Oct 20, 2010 7:40 pm

Well this is a bit of a dodgy subject in my family after I told my cousin giving her kids a spoonfull of calpol EVERY night for years was tantamount to a form of child abuse - didn't go down well at all Embarassed

She swears it makes her girls sleep at night and used to have a bottle and spoon on each bedside table and every night gave them a spoonfull regardless of whether they were ill/teething or absolutely fine. My mum babysat for her one night and as she was putting the girls to bed they asked for their medicine - my mum said awww why do you need that? have you been poorly? and they both said no we have it every night Shocked and showed her where it was. They were 5 and 6 at this point but seemingly it had been that way since they were small. Is it only me that finds that very weird and wrong? Maybe the child abuse statement was a bit harsh but still! it's as if they became dependant on it themselves. I have nothing against calpol btw - for illness and pain relief but not for healthy children.

Sorry for hijacking hun but seems my cousin thinks it makes them sleep. I do find it helps mine sleep if they are ill but that's probably coz it takes away any pain they have had thats disturbing their sleep in the first place. Well done Lewis - hope he keeps it up for you hun (with and without the calpol).

xx
Back to top Go down
snoopy21

About Me!
My Name:

Edit MY profile

Calpol question _
PostSubject: Re: Calpol question   Calpol question EmptyWed Oct 20, 2010 8:24 pm

I dont agree with Calpol every night either Debs.
I had a friend that used to give her toddler dozol (sp?) every sat night when she went out drinking so that her LO would sleep through while her mum babysat (Basically so her mum couldnt complain about looking after the child) and would also lie on a bit in the morning and not be up at 6am when she was hungover. Iv heard other people saying they gave their kids sedative type meds for plane trips and its had the opposite effect -sent them hyper, so dont know what to believe.

I dont even know how she got so much dozol. I asked for it once at pharmacy when Caitlin was about 11months and was waking up constantly in the night after having colds/teething etc and they refused to sell it to me. I felt like poop after for asking & thought they were thinking I wanted to dope my child up. Guessing they did or else it was because she was under one.....
Back to top Go down
Pepper

Pepper

Edit MY profile

Calpol question _
PostSubject: Re: Calpol question   Calpol question EmptyWed Oct 20, 2010 8:24 pm

I think it might be more becuase of him being poorly - babies and kids tend to sleep themselves better. Calpol has the opposite effect on my 2, I'm sure it has caffeine in it!!! LOL

xx
Back to top Go down
J1

Edit MY profile

Calpol question _
PostSubject: Re: Calpol question   Calpol question EmptyWed Oct 20, 2010 8:25 pm

it didnt used to make Alice sleep but it does now she is older... strange child.

and yeah deby, thats BAD, i know a few people who 'joke' about giving calpol to kids to make them sleep Shocked
Back to top Go down
~ Katie ~

~ Katie ~

About Me!
My Name: Katie
Number of Children: 3

Edit MY profile

Calpol question _
PostSubject: Re: Calpol question   Calpol question EmptyWed Oct 20, 2010 9:36 pm

calpol keeps my eldest 2 up aswell! they say its sugar free but my 2 get hyper from it x
Back to top Go down
Amandaplus2

Amandaplus2

About Me!

Edit MY profile

Calpol question _
PostSubject: Re: Calpol question   Calpol question EmptyWed Oct 20, 2010 9:46 pm

Thats awful Debs. I only give it when H is ill and then only for a few days. This is first time ive given it to Lewis. Hopefully he will sleep the same tonight x
Back to top Go down
MrsDebs

MrsDebs

About Me!

Edit MY profile

Calpol question _
PostSubject: Re: Calpol question   Calpol question EmptyWed Oct 20, 2010 9:49 pm

Got everything crossed for you hun. I'm the same hun - only give when necesary. I got through a fair bit last week with both my two coz we have all had bad colds and it did help them settle at night.

xx
Back to top Go down
mariheartselijah

Edit MY profile

Calpol question _
PostSubject: Re: Calpol question   Calpol question EmptyWed Oct 20, 2010 11:48 pm

calpol is pretty bad for tiny livers! elijah sleeps really well after having calpol - but then he's only had it after injections so it might be the injections/stress that has worn him out or feeling poorly? hard to tell really, but my best nights sleep was after his first injections he was wiped out but i couldn't help being slightly grateful! terrible Laughing
Back to top Go down
Mario

Edit MY profile

Calpol question _
PostSubject: Re: Calpol question   Calpol question EmptyThu Oct 21, 2010 12:04 am

I don't agree with giving calpol for no reason but i also dont agree with withholding calpol which ive seen as people worry about dependency or damaging a baby somehow which is not true if its given as directed.

I give it to Caelyn for teeth or if i think shes got pain somewhere else but i also give it to her for colds etc because we all know how you get achy with a cold and she must too and it does settle her. I would never give it regularly for more than 48 hours without consulting a doctor but shes had it at nighttime only for 4 nights straight now as i think her teeth are whats waking her up so i give her some before sleeping in the hope it staves the pain off long enough for her to have a good night.

Its not got any kind of sedative in it so id say the good sleep just comes from being pain free and relaxed and most kids sleep when ill anyway
Back to top Go down
Amy

Amy

About Me!
My Name: Amy

Edit MY profile

Calpol question _
PostSubject: Re: Calpol question   Calpol question EmptyThu Oct 21, 2010 12:06 am

alfie sleeps really well after calpol too. but i do also tink its partly to do with them being ill.

i know a girl who puts vicks on their babies chest every night too - in any weather at any time. doesnt make sense to me? then surely when they are ill and cant breathe it wont work as they will be immune to it?

x
Back to top Go down
Laura

Laura

Edit MY profile

Calpol question _
PostSubject: Re: Calpol question   Calpol question EmptyThu Oct 21, 2010 1:14 am

I like to see what is wrong with Aimee before I jump in and give her Calpol.

I worry that giving her something before I can be 100% sure what it is, might conceal a problem that I should be aware of (like her heart), so I do avoid giving it until I can diagnose properly, or get a doctor to.

Even then, once I know what is wrong, I only tend to give it to her at night before bed because she is normally a pretty lively kid in the day, even when ill, so she doesnt seem to need it.

I havent noticed that it makes her lay in though when I have given it.

x
Back to top Go down
pinkyd

pinkyd

Edit MY profile

Calpol question _
PostSubject: Re: Calpol question   Calpol question EmptyThu Oct 21, 2010 1:43 am

I'm not one for giving it, I think if you give any medicine too much , it won't be as effective when they genuinely need it. My brother gave it to both of his kids every night and when I took ava for her injections loads of people said give it to her straightaway, there was absolutely no need as she had no reaction.

The past week she has had quite a few doses though as her teeth are really playing up.
Back to top Go down
Zee

Zee

About Me!
My Name: Zee

Edit MY profile

Calpol question _
PostSubject: Re: Calpol question   Calpol question EmptyThu Oct 21, 2010 1:59 am

We'll past couple of days Moo has been really off it and after last night I wouldn't say calpol makes them any sleepier, bless his little cottons I don't think he got a wink all night, although saying that..he went for his nap at 1.30, woke at 2.30 crying in pain..dose of calpol and he's spark out. But due to the lack of sleep lastnight its not supprising. Just a shame am gunna have to wake him soon for his doc appointment Sad

I really don't agree with giving calpol to 'calm' a child down, sometimes babies just get fussy or wingey it doesn't mean they are in pain Rolling Eyes All very well if you can see other signs symptoms or even as a precautionary measure if you suspect its teething or other symptoms of a cold and what not..but not just to make them sleep
Back to top Go down
Mario

Edit MY profile

Calpol question _
PostSubject: Re: Calpol question   Calpol question EmptyThu Oct 21, 2010 6:27 am

Well i dont agree with it for the sake of giving it but my baby has been up crying with her teeth every night at 4am for 4 nights now so ive given her a dose at bedtime in the hope it keeps her comfy all night even though she wasnt showing overt signs of teeth pain at bedtime itself. Shes exhausted and grouchy, if that makes me a bad mum for letting her have some even though she wasnt in pain at that very point to try and premept her pain so be it i used my parental judgement to do whats right for my kid as i see it. hard not to feel judged right now

*takes her flag and fecks off*
Back to top Go down
Laura

Laura

Edit MY profile

Calpol question _
PostSubject: Re: Calpol question   Calpol question EmptyThu Oct 21, 2010 6:34 am

Hopefully C will get a decent nights sleep tonight Mario.

I have done the same when I have known that Aimee has got a cold. She was poorly with a cold over the weekend and I gave her a dose of Calpol before bed on Sunday night, and it helped her loads xx
Back to top Go down
MrsDebs

MrsDebs

About Me!

Edit MY profile

Calpol question _
PostSubject: Re: Calpol question   Calpol question EmptyThu Oct 21, 2010 6:56 am

Aww poor C! I hope she settles better tonight hun. I don't think what you have done comes under the 'giving it for the sake of it' heading hun. Like you said you've used your mummy skills to assess your childs needs and hoping to preempt her pain rather than treat it when she is already suffering. That's what makes you a good mum hun. I doubt very much you'll be giving her it every night now for the next 5 years 'just incase' though Rolling Eyes

xx
Back to top Go down
Mario

Edit MY profile

Calpol question _
PostSubject: Re: Calpol question   Calpol question EmptyThu Oct 21, 2010 6:23 pm

No def not debs and seemed it worked as she made it to 0550 today then had her milk and went back til 0715. Never thought id be grateful for the clock to say 0550! Im not sure if its the calpol or the fact we put our downstairs arm chair in her room in case i needed to sit with her again tonight. Contrary lil beast that she is wudnt be surprised if it was the 2nd. If she seems better today and less grumpy will probably do without it tonight

I as just trying to argue the view that sometimes the idea that calpol shouldnt be given until your LO is really uncomfortable worries people into not giving her when their kids genuinely need it and ive seen plenty of kids brought to hospital with eg abdominal pain and when i ask what time did they have pain relief get told 'oh not today'. I do disagree with what you said your family is doing but giving calpol to stave off pain doesnt lower its effectiveness and ive seen plenty of research that pain delays healing so if your bubba seems uncomfortable dont be afraid of giving it. I go on the basis, would i take something for this, if i would then she gets some
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Edit MY profile

Calpol question _
PostSubject: Re: Calpol question   Calpol question Empty

Back to top Go down

Calpol question

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Babies & All :: General Chat :: The Lounge-
Latest topics
» Spotting
Calpol question Emptyby Marie-Pier Tue May 01, 2018 12:31 pm

» Help You Save The Expense Of Wedding Dress
Calpol question Emptyby thefashion Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:09 pm

» Select from online wedding dress stores
Calpol question Emptyby dfwre Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:52 pm

» A wide collection of Wedding Decoration Ideas
Calpol question Emptyby sahalegail Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:29 pm

» Casual wedding dress in higher need?
Calpol question Emptyby dfwre Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:18 pm

» An Amazing collection of Wedding Decoration
Calpol question Emptyby sahalegail Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:12 pm

» Teddy Bears Picnic Party Supplies?
Calpol question Emptyby sahalegail Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:39 am

» baby esme grace
Calpol question Emptyby liberty Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:01 am

» For Sell:Stokke XPLORY Stroller/Bugaboo camel
Calpol question Emptyby garyboatner Thu May 02, 2013 5:28 pm

» For Sell:Stokke XPLORY Stroller/Bugaboo camel
Calpol question Emptyby garyboatner Thu May 02, 2013 5:27 pm

» Natures Sway Hammock & Stand
Calpol question Emptyby Tell Wed May 01, 2013 8:22 pm

» Banda mobile
Calpol question Emptyby EmVar Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:50 am

» is it enough at 10 weeks?
Calpol question Emptyby char w Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:02 pm

» Merry Christmas
Calpol question Emptyby Lisa Tue Dec 25, 2012 3:07 am

» Are Nativity Plays Still Compulsory?
Calpol question Emptyby Emmylou Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:14 am

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Most Viewed Topics
Introduce Yourself!
September 2009 mummies
10 Illegal baby names
New Weight Watchers ProPoints plan explained.
Cheesy Party songs (90s)
say hello to the sun baby sensory song???
Whats the first thing you think of?
Banda Night In ladies (pics included)
pro points calculator
Most active topics
September 2009 mummies
Introduce Yourself!
Whats the first thing you think of?
Bin it or eat it
Change the letter.
Girls and boys names.
which one???
Count to a 1000 in words