Babies & All
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome PageSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog inHome

Share | 

Growth Scan Confusion

View previous topic View next topic Go down 

Similar topics

+
AuthorMessage
Laura

Laura

Edit MY profile

Growth Scan Confusion _
PostSubject: Growth Scan Confusion   Growth Scan Confusion EmptyWed Oct 27, 2010 11:14 pm

I went to the hospital today for a follow up growth scan following the private one I had at the weekend.

I saw a consultant, who firstly had a go at me because I didnt have the print out measurements from the scan at the weekend (they didnt give me them, so its not my fault!).

Anyway, they did another scan and came up with the following:

Head - 34 weeks (weekend one was 36 weeks)
Abdomen - 37 weeks (weekend one was 35.5 weeks)
Leg - 38 weeks (weekend one was 35.5 weeks)

The average is working out at 36+2. They also said I have a lot of fluid.

The consultant has referred me for a GTT test on Monday - im sure I dont have it as I have been testing my blood anyway and its fine (my friend is diabetec and loaned me her spare kit). And also another growth scan in 2 weeks.

She said that they will probably give a stretch and sweep from 38 weeks to try to start things going.

Here is what shocked me....

She told me to cut out ALL carbs and ALL sugar from my diet! So basically, go on the Atkins diet! affraid You have got to be kidding me!?! Before pregnancy I had a perfect bmi of 22 and wasnt overweight. I havent put on loads of weight in the pregnancy either, so what on earth is she thinking by putting me on the bloody Atkins diet!?

I wont be doing it. I personally think her advice is wrong.

Has anybody else been told to do this?

Thanks xx
Back to top Go down

Edit MY profile

Growth Scan Confusion _
PostSubject: Re: Growth Scan Confusion   Growth Scan Confusion EmptyWed Oct 27, 2010 11:36 pm

Humm.....well not much help really as i was the other way round and Tayla was measuring really small and diff for her head, body and legs. I was told to eat lots of carbs, sugar and fizzy drinks like lucazade!
Must be quite confusing for you, i personally wouldnt cut out on them but maybe cut down?
Did they give u an estimated weight?
Back to top Go down
Shell

Shell

About Me!
My Name: Michelle
Number of Children: 2

Edit MY profile

Growth Scan Confusion _
PostSubject: Re: Growth Scan Confusion   Growth Scan Confusion EmptyWed Oct 27, 2010 11:40 pm

Sounds like she's just assuming you have gestational diabetes and thats why she wants you to cut out carbs and sugar, but personally i don't think it's a good idea when you don't actually know the reasons for baby being big.
Back to top Go down
Mario

Edit MY profile

Growth Scan Confusion _
PostSubject: Re: Growth Scan Confusion   Growth Scan Confusion EmptyWed Oct 27, 2010 11:43 pm

I would say they are concerned about gestational diabetes as carbs are complex sugars which is why sugars and carbs would fit with those worries. I would say cut sugar for def as a safety precaution but i wouldnt go nuts cutting out the carbs til after the GTT in case its not that. I would have the test then ring her and ask for some comprehensive dietary advice
Back to top Go down
Laura

Laura

Edit MY profile

Growth Scan Confusion _
PostSubject: Re: Growth Scan Confusion   Growth Scan Confusion EmptyThu Oct 28, 2010 12:03 am

Thanks ladies. I am sure that I dont have gestational diabetes (obviously the test will prove it).

I am seeing a different consultant in 2 weeks for a growth scan (I think he was off today) so if the tests on Monday come back that I dont have it, then I am going to carry on with my normal diet and see what he says.

x
Back to top Go down
GraceBean&Pip

Edit MY profile

Growth Scan Confusion _
PostSubject: Re: Growth Scan Confusion   Growth Scan Confusion EmptyThu Oct 28, 2010 12:55 am

That has me completely puzzled Laura - goodness knows what it's done to your head!
This recommendation is based on a hunch?! Not tests? Any other symptoms - any sugar in urine etc.? Seriously, Growth Scan Confusion 830764 ?!!

If it was that bad surely you'd be having every test under the sun right now, kept in for monitoring, appointments coming out of your elbows...?!?!
Also, this could be a stab in the dark here, but if you did that - come Monday would the results be accurate - as they would be based on the no-carb-no-sugar diet of the next few days, as opposed to where you're at now?! scratch xx
Back to top Go down
Laura

Laura

Edit MY profile

Growth Scan Confusion _
PostSubject: Re: Growth Scan Confusion   Growth Scan Confusion EmptyThu Oct 28, 2010 1:06 am

Oooh good point Grace!

She didnt seem to have a clue tbh! She said that if I carry on eating carbs then baby will get fatter and she will get broader shoulders making her harder to deliver!

Surely if she/I need carbs/sugars then I need to carry on eating.

I just dont get it... im certainly not overweight and baby is all bump. I think she is just taking in everything I eat, lol!

x
Back to top Go down
GraceBean&Pip

Edit MY profile

Growth Scan Confusion _
PostSubject: Re: Growth Scan Confusion   Growth Scan Confusion EmptyThu Oct 28, 2010 1:19 am

Man alive - way to calm the fears of a pregnant woman - what a div!!! Has she ever given birth do you reckon?!
Pmsl - like baby's going to get american footballer shoulders in the next few weeks Rolling Eyes (imho, of course..!)

From what ladies had said on your other post, these things are often, often wrong - so why she would suggest something so drastic based on one scan is beyond me scratch

If you do cut out / down on carbs & sugars, send 'em my way, I'll give them a good home Wink xx
Back to top Go down
Kinkyangel

Kinkyangel

About Me!
My Name: Clare
Number of Children: 3

Edit MY profile

Growth Scan Confusion _
PostSubject: Re: Growth Scan Confusion   Growth Scan Confusion EmptyThu Oct 28, 2010 1:45 am

Laura I can't believe that we have same due date and are having such similar problems growth wise!

Your bubs is measuring about the same as mine! Did they give you a print out with measurements on? Would be interesting to compare! I have another scan with consultant on Tuesday so will let you know what they say then! They have mentioned GD to me too but didn't give me any dietary advice etc!

Xx
Back to top Go down
olliesmammy

olliesmammy

Edit MY profile

Growth Scan Confusion _
PostSubject: Re: Growth Scan Confusion   Growth Scan Confusion EmptySat Oct 30, 2010 2:30 am

Good luck for the test hun, that seems to be ridiculous advice before you've even had the test surely cutting a whole food goup out of your diet when pregnant is stupid if theres no reason to
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Edit MY profile

Growth Scan Confusion _
PostSubject: Re: Growth Scan Confusion   Growth Scan Confusion Empty

Back to top Go down

Growth Scan Confusion

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Babies & All :: Conceiving, Pregnancy & Birth :: Pregnancy-
Latest topics
» Spotting
Growth Scan Confusion Emptyby Marie-Pier Tue May 01, 2018 12:31 pm

» Help You Save The Expense Of Wedding Dress
Growth Scan Confusion Emptyby thefashion Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:09 pm

» Select from online wedding dress stores
Growth Scan Confusion Emptyby dfwre Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:52 pm

» A wide collection of Wedding Decoration Ideas
Growth Scan Confusion Emptyby sahalegail Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:29 pm

» Casual wedding dress in higher need?
Growth Scan Confusion Emptyby dfwre Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:18 pm

» An Amazing collection of Wedding Decoration
Growth Scan Confusion Emptyby sahalegail Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:12 pm

» Teddy Bears Picnic Party Supplies?
Growth Scan Confusion Emptyby sahalegail Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:39 am

» baby esme grace
Growth Scan Confusion Emptyby liberty Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:01 am

» For Sell:Stokke XPLORY Stroller/Bugaboo camel
Growth Scan Confusion Emptyby garyboatner Thu May 02, 2013 5:28 pm

» For Sell:Stokke XPLORY Stroller/Bugaboo camel
Growth Scan Confusion Emptyby garyboatner Thu May 02, 2013 5:27 pm

» Natures Sway Hammock & Stand
Growth Scan Confusion Emptyby Tell Wed May 01, 2013 8:22 pm

» Banda mobile
Growth Scan Confusion Emptyby EmVar Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:50 am

» is it enough at 10 weeks?
Growth Scan Confusion Emptyby char w Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:02 pm

» Merry Christmas
Growth Scan Confusion Emptyby Lisa Tue Dec 25, 2012 3:07 am

» Are Nativity Plays Still Compulsory?
Growth Scan Confusion Emptyby Emmylou Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:14 am

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Most Viewed Topics
Introduce Yourself!
September 2009 mummies
10 Illegal baby names
New Weight Watchers ProPoints plan explained.
Cheesy Party songs (90s)
say hello to the sun baby sensory song???
Whats the first thing you think of?
Banda Night In ladies (pics included)
pro points calculator
Most active topics
September 2009 mummies
Introduce Yourself!
Whats the first thing you think of?
Bin it or eat it
Change the letter.
Girls and boys names.
which one???
Count to a 1000 in words