Babies & All
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome PageSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog inHome

Share | 

Enlarged Kidney and UTI

View previous topic View next topic Go down 

Similar topics

+
AuthorMessage

Edit MY profile

Enlarged Kidney and UTI _
PostSubject: Enlarged Kidney and UTI   Enlarged Kidney and UTI EmptyFri Nov 05, 2010 9:26 pm

Morning all,
Ive just had a call from my cousin in Cyprus, when she had a scan at 22 weeks they noticed her baby had enlarged kidneys but said it was quite common in boys and nothing to worry about.
Well hes 5 months now and last month had a urine infection, he was given a course on anti-biotics and that was that....or so she thought.
She took him for jabs today and they said that he will have to go into the main hospital in Nicosia (where tayla was, its an awful hosp) and will have to have a balloon inserted and dye in him to see whats going on with his kidneys....
Its this normal? I thought both the enlarged kidneys and UTIs were quite common in young babies?
Anyone have an experience of this? Thank you Smile
Back to top Go down
GraceBean&Pip

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: Enlarged Kidney and UTI   Enlarged Kidney and UTI EmptyFri Nov 05, 2010 10:20 pm

Oh I don't know - I've only heard of the dye and balloon thing in adults? And hadn't heard that uti's were common in babies either scratch - I may have just led a sheltered life Laughing

I tried a search on nhs direct but nothing - that sites gone very annoying I think! Only found this http://www.babycenter.com/0_urinary-tract-infection_10910.bc but only generic info xx
Back to top Go down

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: Enlarged Kidney and UTI   Enlarged Kidney and UTI EmptyFri Nov 05, 2010 10:22 pm

Thanks for your reply. I think she has found what it is now, Reflux nephropathy?
Back to top Go down
GraceBean&Pip

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: Enlarged Kidney and UTI   Enlarged Kidney and UTI EmptyFri Nov 05, 2010 10:26 pm

That can cause kidney damage - all I know Crying or Very sad . How awful in one so young though. I thought they inject dye and take x-ray - to investigate - the balloon thing has me puzzled scratch xx
Back to top Go down

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: Enlarged Kidney and UTI   Enlarged Kidney and UTI EmptyFri Nov 05, 2010 10:30 pm

I know im very confused too! The doc didnt speak very good english and didnt explain much to her Sad I guess she will have to wait until the hosp appointment...
Back to top Go down
stephandhannah

stephandhannah

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: Enlarged Kidney and UTI   Enlarged Kidney and UTI EmptySat Nov 06, 2010 12:22 am

I don't get the balloon thing either. I thought it would just be a contrast study with the dye. Well that's what we would do with animals but I'm sure human medicine is much more advanced anyway. Maybe it was a communication error? Would a balloon thing not go into something like the bladder? Maybe that's what they are doing?

X
Back to top Go down
GraceBean&Pip

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: Enlarged Kidney and UTI   Enlarged Kidney and UTI EmptySat Nov 06, 2010 12:26 am

^ and I'd have thought the balloon is to widen tubes and is therefore a treatment, not an investigation?! Also, if the trouble is the urine reflux (back to kidneys) then why would they be widening the tubes in the first place... unless it's part of some kind of op to mend the valves? Let us know how she gets on xx
Back to top Go down
LisaGandAmelia

LisaGandAmelia

About Me!
My Name: Lisa
Number of Children: 1

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: Enlarged Kidney and UTI   Enlarged Kidney and UTI EmptySat Nov 06, 2010 1:24 am

They thought that Amelia would have this problem as when I had my 20 week scan they found that she had mild renal dialation, which can indicate a problem with reflux. Could it be that they believe the enlargement of the kidney is due to a blockage or narrowing of the tubes? If that's the case that would explain the little balloon. Millwall Rose (Meg) on AB is the font of all knowledge re kindney problems due to both her OH and daughter having problems, maybe send her a PM? xxx
Back to top Go down

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: Enlarged Kidney and UTI   Enlarged Kidney and UTI EmptySat Nov 06, 2010 1:44 am

Thanks Lisa, i dont really understand it all and neither does my cousin. His appointment is on the 1st dec so i will update then. The only thing the doc mentioned about the balloon is that she said make sure you come with someone, not just urself as it will take two of you to hold the baby down while we insert the balloon?! Heaven knows x
Back to top Go down
GraceBean&Pip

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: Enlarged Kidney and UTI   Enlarged Kidney and UTI EmptySat Nov 06, 2010 1:55 am

Enlarged Kidney and UTI 830764 That's a general anaestetic job surely?!! Shocked and like I say, treatment - not investigation?! x
Back to top Go down

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: Enlarged Kidney and UTI   Enlarged Kidney and UTI EmptySat Nov 06, 2010 2:11 am

That what i would of though too! God knows, i think my cousin just went into shock and didnt really take it in what was said as she was just expecting to just go for jabs! Hopefully is it just test, Cyprus is so backwards sometimes though and i lost of faith in there healthcare when i had Tayla!
Back to top Go down
olliesmammy

olliesmammy

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: Enlarged Kidney and UTI   Enlarged Kidney and UTI EmptySat Nov 06, 2010 2:50 am

Enlarged Kidney and UTI 830764 thats sounds awful for a little baby to go through
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: Enlarged Kidney and UTI   Enlarged Kidney and UTI Empty

Back to top Go down

Enlarged Kidney and UTI

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Babies & All :: General Chat :: The Lounge-
Latest topics
» Spotting
Enlarged Kidney and UTI Emptyby Marie-Pier Tue May 01, 2018 12:31 pm

» Help You Save The Expense Of Wedding Dress
Enlarged Kidney and UTI Emptyby thefashion Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:09 pm

» Select from online wedding dress stores
Enlarged Kidney and UTI Emptyby dfwre Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:52 pm

» A wide collection of Wedding Decoration Ideas
Enlarged Kidney and UTI Emptyby sahalegail Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:29 pm

» Casual wedding dress in higher need?
Enlarged Kidney and UTI Emptyby dfwre Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:18 pm

» An Amazing collection of Wedding Decoration
Enlarged Kidney and UTI Emptyby sahalegail Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:12 pm

» Teddy Bears Picnic Party Supplies?
Enlarged Kidney and UTI Emptyby sahalegail Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:39 am

» baby esme grace
Enlarged Kidney and UTI Emptyby liberty Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:01 am

» For Sell:Stokke XPLORY Stroller/Bugaboo camel
Enlarged Kidney and UTI Emptyby garyboatner Thu May 02, 2013 5:28 pm

» For Sell:Stokke XPLORY Stroller/Bugaboo camel
Enlarged Kidney and UTI Emptyby garyboatner Thu May 02, 2013 5:27 pm

» Natures Sway Hammock & Stand
Enlarged Kidney and UTI Emptyby Tell Wed May 01, 2013 8:22 pm

» Banda mobile
Enlarged Kidney and UTI Emptyby EmVar Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:50 am

» is it enough at 10 weeks?
Enlarged Kidney and UTI Emptyby char w Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:02 pm

» Merry Christmas
Enlarged Kidney and UTI Emptyby Lisa Tue Dec 25, 2012 3:07 am

» Are Nativity Plays Still Compulsory?
Enlarged Kidney and UTI Emptyby Emmylou Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:14 am

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Most Viewed Topics
Introduce Yourself!
September 2009 mummies
10 Illegal baby names
New Weight Watchers ProPoints plan explained.
Cheesy Party songs (90s)
say hello to the sun baby sensory song???
Whats the first thing you think of?
Banda Night In ladies (pics included)
pro points calculator
Most active topics
September 2009 mummies
Introduce Yourself!
Whats the first thing you think of?
Bin it or eat it
Change the letter.
Girls and boys names.
which one???
Count to a 1000 in words