Babies & All
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome PageSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog inHome

Share | 

Baby name trauma!!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 

Similar topics

+
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
Kate

Kate

About Me!
My Name: Kate
Number of Children: 1

Edit MY profile

Baby name trauma!! - Page 5 _
PostSubject: Baby name trauma!!   Baby name trauma!! - Page 5 EmptyTue Jan 18, 2011 7:32 am

First topic message reminder :

One of my best friends is pregnant and has emailed me to tell me the name she has chosen for the new arrival. To be honest I can't stand the name but obviously did not want to say so as if she likes it then that is all that counts. Anyways i was non commital and she has just emailed me back to say "well, what do you think about the name??" What do i say? Shall I tell the truth and say its not my cup of tea or white lie and say i like it??? Shocked
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
Lisa
Admin
Lisa

About Me!
My Name: Lisa

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: Baby name trauma!!   Baby name trauma!! - Page 5 EmptyTue Jan 18, 2011 10:34 am

Izzys middle is Caitlin..Kate Lin

Not sure how any one could get that worng!
Back to top Go down
http://www.babiesandall.co.uk
snoopy21

About Me!
My Name:

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: Baby name trauma!!   Baby name trauma!! - Page 5 EmptyTue Jan 18, 2011 10:42 am

They can lisa Laughing ! The true Irish pronounciatoin is catch-lin, its the irish/gaelic pronounciation/spelling of kathleen, from the name kathrine. I dont even know if that makes sense but i no what I mean lol

The name is Kate-lyn but an Irish speaker wouldnt read it like that. I think most people these days would say it properly but a few remote areas in Ireland would still say catchlin.
Back to top Go down
Lisa
Admin
Lisa

About Me!

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: Baby name trauma!!   Baby name trauma!! - Page 5 EmptyTue Jan 18, 2011 10:44 am

I'd proper lol if someone said it like that!
Back to top Go down
Mummy2aMiracle

Mummy2aMiracle

About Me!
My Name: Dilly
Number of Children: 3

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: Baby name trauma!!   Baby name trauma!! - Page 5 EmptyTue Jan 18, 2011 10:47 am

*deleted*

Last edited by Mummy2aMiracle on Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
snoopy21

About Me!
My Name:

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: Baby name trauma!!   Baby name trauma!! - Page 5 EmptyTue Jan 18, 2011 10:54 am

Lisa wrote:
I'd proper lol if someone said it like that!

Apologies - its Cat-leen! I was close...

http://www.suite101.com/content/kaitlyn-katelyn-caitlyn-caitlin-or-katelynn-a94870
Back to top Go down
Lisa
Admin
Lisa

About Me!

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: Baby name trauma!!   Baby name trauma!! - Page 5 EmptyTue Jan 18, 2011 10:56 am

thats makes more sense...I was wondering where the 'tch' came from!
Back to top Go down
Laura

Laura

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: Baby name trauma!!   Baby name trauma!! - Page 5 EmptyTue Jan 18, 2011 10:56 am

Damned you banda ladies... I am supposed to be asleep but made the mistake of reading this 100 post thread!!

I would tell her the truth about rocky... Poor little sod!! X
Back to top Go down
Lisa
Admin
Lisa

About Me!

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: Baby name trauma!!   Baby name trauma!! - Page 5 EmptyTue Jan 18, 2011 10:57 am

hahaha whatever Laura...you just nosey! Laughing Wink
Back to top Go down
snoopy21

About Me!
My Name:

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: Baby name trauma!!   Baby name trauma!! - Page 5 EmptyTue Jan 18, 2011 11:00 am

I just knew it was something silly. I remember my aunty warning me that I was actually naming her kathleen and that Irish speakers would pronounce it different again. Yeah, it does make more sense!

Further down that article it says about Caitlin being popular but possibly being an old lady name of the future... then lists other names destined to be old lady names... including lisa pmsl!

I cant talk, nicola is def going to be an old farts name in 40 years!
Back to top Go down
Lisa
Admin
Lisa

About Me!

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: Baby name trauma!!   Baby name trauma!! - Page 5 EmptyTue Jan 18, 2011 11:22 am

how can they bunch Lisa with with old lady names like Doris, Phyllis & Hazel ...they are real old person names!
Back to top Go down
Vicki

Vicki

About Me!
My Name: Vicki

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: Baby name trauma!!   Baby name trauma!! - Page 5 EmptyTue Jan 18, 2011 7:34 pm

i like the name johna but rocky im afraid does sound like a pets name, i would just be honest and say are you being serious etc?!

i know a few kids with more unusual names -

atlanta peach
april cherry
tallulah bliss
aspen blue

i always thought their parents were cruel but the 3 girls love their names (atlanta is 18 now, april is 13 and tallulah is 7) and aspen is only 1 so dont think he understands his 'unusual' name lol!!
x
Back to top Go down
Mario

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: Baby name trauma!!   Baby name trauma!! - Page 5 EmptyTue Jan 18, 2011 9:09 pm

Almost could like aspen. Aprils not really unusual though pairing it with cherry is odd.

Lol Snoops i was replying to emma i didnt mean c was caelyn emma, gotta punctuate. She is caelyn sandi. I like caitlin btw its just not caelyns name, though it is what it gets mistaken for most of all
Back to top Go down
snoopy21

About Me!
My Name:

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: Baby name trauma!!   Baby name trauma!! - Page 5 EmptyTue Jan 18, 2011 9:15 pm

Whoops Smile

I remember now you saying her middle name was sandi. Its a mix of names isnt it. I should pay more attention too, instead of trying to catch up on shameless and here at same time!
Back to top Go down
Mario

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: Baby name trauma!!   Baby name trauma!! - Page 5 EmptyTue Jan 18, 2011 9:19 pm

Lol yes her two nannas are sandra and dianne so neil chose it.
Back to top Go down
Mrs Cruise & Dee

Mrs Cruise & Dee

About Me!
My Name:

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: Baby name trauma!!   Baby name trauma!! - Page 5 EmptyTue Jan 18, 2011 9:37 pm

im so glad someone said the names ,, was thinking i was going to read 8 pages and have to plead for a PM Smile

i dont like either of the names jonah reminds me of some teen prog/band and rocky well ,,, lol

thank you to whoever asked about caelyn ,, that i have always wondered Smile like Jens maky i even asked jen if it was said in a certain way ,, wasnt until i watched one of her vids i found out correct way of saying it think i asked if it was said , mak in lee whereas i was saying it makin-lee ( does that make sense ? )
Back to top Go down
GraceBean&Pip

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: Baby name trauma!!   Baby name trauma!! - Page 5 EmptyTue Jan 18, 2011 9:49 pm

Yeesh, good job I'm not the sensitive type Laughing

I reckon pronunciation is a tricky beggar - things can look / sound so different to how they're intended. I also have a thing about niknames / shortened names - have to like them too as a factor in name-choosing. See now, for example 'Lita' is a lovely version of 'Carmelita' - did you choose to be called it (over Carmel?) or was it put upon you - so to speak?!

My name gets lengthened - eh?! (E.G. I once told a colleague I was not Gracie and not to call me it (after 10 times at least) she then went out of her way to do so, and I heard her tell another colleague "oh yeah, I call her Gracie 'cos I know she doesn't like it - haha" trying to make out it was funny?! wtf?!)

On a deeper level, names have a whole psychological side - first they take off you in prison (so I'm told) and someone on a power trip / being ignorant will often use an incorrect name or none at all to undermine and wrong-foot people. Useless side-info there Wink

P.S. michelle - will see to it that he's going to be a very clean-living teenager (in my rose-tinted world Laughing ) - and his daddy will see to it that his music taste is nowhere near dodgy Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
snoopy21

About Me!
My Name:

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: Baby name trauma!!   Baby name trauma!! - Page 5 EmptyTue Jan 18, 2011 10:02 pm

My cousins little girl Lucia was going to be jonah if she was a boy. I like the name, but my aunty wasnt keen as apparently it means bad luck (coming from him being thrown overboard in the bible to calm the storm).

Meanings are silly though. Caitlin means pure (taken from katherine). Im in no doubt that Caitlin will not remain pure due to her name. By the way she is behaving at 18mths I dread to think what she will be up to at 18 affraid Laughing She is whipping her trousers off as I type and wiggling her bum to mighty mights! Pure my ass! Laughing

I looked rocky up to and it comes from the Italian saint rocco who cured plague victims. Maybe we all being a bit harsh on this kind man haha!
Back to top Go down
Mrs Cruise & Dee

Mrs Cruise & Dee

About Me!
My Name:

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: Baby name trauma!!   Baby name trauma!! - Page 5 EmptyTue Jan 18, 2011 10:08 pm

GraceBean&Pip wrote:

P.S. michelle - will see to it that he's going to be a very clean-living teenager (in my rose-tinted world Laughing ) - and his daddy will see to it that his music taste is nowhere near dodgy Rolling Eyes

my daughters daddy best not get his music taste lmao ! ,,,, have seen him singing away to glenn maderias hahah

how do i put this without it sounding awful ,,,,,,loads of people ( maybe just me lol ) when choosing a name wont even consider certain names as they remind you of someone etc ,,, like jordan , if i were to name a child jordan i would always thing of katie price
my daughters name is probably chavvy to some ,, maybe someone knows a danielle in heir hometown and she is a cowbag Smile
like my OH refused like chelsea and courtney as they are chavtastic to him

just found this Sad ,,,,
Cindy (always a pain in the a**e) Courtney, Cortnee, Cortnie (trouble), Danielle (a nightmare), Jade, Jodie, Jordan (pretty bad for a girl), Kayleigh (a pain), Keeley, Keira (live in fear), Kimberley, Kylie, Leanne, Leigh, Lou-Lou,

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-363230/Chav-names-feared-teachers.html#ixzz1BNrnFeUg

my bubba is apparently a nightmare ! ,,,, our other choice of names were kayleigh and keeley !
Back to top Go down
snoopy21

About Me!
My Name:

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: Baby name trauma!!   Baby name trauma!! - Page 5 EmptyTue Jan 18, 2011 10:23 pm

We can all cast judgements when we hear certain names due to who we know/films/books. On that list above I admit to agreeing that dwayne and wayne may be terrors (which is obviously rubbish, a name doesnt make you who you are.)

Also names like amelia, poppy, kate make me think of plesant, well mannered children. I think its the more traditional names that make me think of 'nice' children and 'invented' 'faddy' names make me think of terrors! The total opposite may be true in many cases.
Back to top Go down
GraceBean&Pip

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: Baby name trauma!!   Baby name trauma!! - Page 5 EmptyTue Jan 18, 2011 10:27 pm

pmsl snoopy @ pure & the ass-wiggling Laughing

I think the whole meaning thing depends on what the individual is like - someone who dutifully reads horoscopes, follows signs rather then sense, takes great influence from what others / strangers say would probably be put off a name they love by something on wiki or similar!

For us, Jonah's the perfect name for a perfect bean Baby name trauma!! - Page 5 270211 - but back to OP - Rocky is random as anything paired with it - unless the parents are covering all bases of nice&wacky, for the child to choose when older?! scratch
Back to top Go down
Lita
Admin
Lita

About Me!
My Name: Lita

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: Baby name trauma!!   Baby name trauma!! - Page 5 EmptyWed Jan 19, 2011 12:14 am

GraceBean&Pip wrote:
Yeesh, good job I'm not the sensitive type Laughing

I reckon pronunciation is a tricky beggar - things can look / sound so different to how they're intended. I also have a thing about niknames / shortened names - have to like them too as a factor in name-choosing. See now, for example 'Lita' is a lovely version of 'Carmelita' - did you choose to be called it (over Carmel?) or was it put upon you - so to speak?!

It's always been shortened to Lita but some people - mainly people I used to work with used to shorten it even more to Leet......grrrrrrrr!

Makes me laugh though cos MIL is always announcing how she never shortens anyones name - I HAD to (was a great apportunity Laughing) point out that she has never called me Carmelita Laughing
Back to top Go down
GraceBean&Pip

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: Baby name trauma!!   Baby name trauma!! - Page 5 EmptyWed Jan 19, 2011 12:21 am

^ funny Laughing did she think you were just 'Lita' then?
Sounds exotic to me Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Lita
Admin
Lita

About Me!
My Name: Lita

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: Baby name trauma!!   Baby name trauma!! - Page 5 EmptyWed Jan 19, 2011 12:26 am

I'm not sure but she has never called me Carmelita even after finding out Laughing
It's spanish apparently but it is in baby names books and means God's garden or God's vineyard depending on which book you read lol
Back to top Go down
mariheartselijah

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: Baby name trauma!!   Baby name trauma!! - Page 5 EmptyWed Jan 19, 2011 3:27 am

christ is this the longest thread on banda so far???? i still don't know what the name is!
Back to top Go down
Kate

Kate

About Me!
My Name: Kate

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: Baby name trauma!!   Baby name trauma!! - Page 5 EmptyWed Jan 19, 2011 7:26 am

Hee hee Mari it is Jonah Rocky

To be honest I think Jonah is ok but it is the combination with Rocky!

It is funny though how you would not pick certain names like snoopy said. The term Jonah is used where i live (mainly by old people Very Happy ) to mean someone who is bad luck Sad One of my friends is a teacher and all the way through her pregnancy was going to call her son Callum but then a new kid in her class was called Callum and was an unholy terror so it put her off!

Lucia was one of my favourite names as one of my favourite books is Lucia, Lucia by Adriana Trigiani, she makes it clear that it is pronounced Loo-chea but i guessed that most people would think it was Lucy-a so it would be annoying!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: Baby name trauma!!   Baby name trauma!! - Page 5 Empty

Back to top Go down

Baby name trauma!!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 5 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Babies & All :: General Chat :: The Lounge-
Latest topics
» Spotting
Baby name trauma!! - Page 5 Emptyby Marie-Pier Tue May 01, 2018 12:31 pm

» Help You Save The Expense Of Wedding Dress
Baby name trauma!! - Page 5 Emptyby thefashion Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:09 pm

» Select from online wedding dress stores
Baby name trauma!! - Page 5 Emptyby dfwre Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:52 pm

» A wide collection of Wedding Decoration Ideas
Baby name trauma!! - Page 5 Emptyby sahalegail Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:29 pm

» Casual wedding dress in higher need?
Baby name trauma!! - Page 5 Emptyby dfwre Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:18 pm

» An Amazing collection of Wedding Decoration
Baby name trauma!! - Page 5 Emptyby sahalegail Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:12 pm

» Teddy Bears Picnic Party Supplies?
Baby name trauma!! - Page 5 Emptyby sahalegail Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:39 am

» baby esme grace
Baby name trauma!! - Page 5 Emptyby liberty Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:01 am

» For Sell:Stokke XPLORY Stroller/Bugaboo camel
Baby name trauma!! - Page 5 Emptyby garyboatner Thu May 02, 2013 5:28 pm

» For Sell:Stokke XPLORY Stroller/Bugaboo camel
Baby name trauma!! - Page 5 Emptyby garyboatner Thu May 02, 2013 5:27 pm

» Natures Sway Hammock & Stand
Baby name trauma!! - Page 5 Emptyby Tell Wed May 01, 2013 8:22 pm

» Banda mobile
Baby name trauma!! - Page 5 Emptyby EmVar Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:50 am

» is it enough at 10 weeks?
Baby name trauma!! - Page 5 Emptyby char w Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:02 pm

» Merry Christmas
Baby name trauma!! - Page 5 Emptyby Lisa Tue Dec 25, 2012 3:07 am

» Are Nativity Plays Still Compulsory?
Baby name trauma!! - Page 5 Emptyby Emmylou Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:14 am

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Most Viewed Topics
Introduce Yourself!
September 2009 mummies
10 Illegal baby names
New Weight Watchers ProPoints plan explained.
Cheesy Party songs (90s)
say hello to the sun baby sensory song???
Whats the first thing you think of?
Banda Night In ladies (pics included)
pro points calculator
Most active topics
September 2009 mummies
Introduce Yourself!
Whats the first thing you think of?
Bin it or eat it
Change the letter.
Girls and boys names.
which one???
Count to a 1000 in words