Babies & All
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome PageSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog inHome

Share | 

breast pump advice???

View previous topic View next topic Go down 

Similar topics

+
AuthorMessage
mariheartselijah

Edit MY profile

breast pump advice??? _
PostSubject: breast pump advice???   breast pump advice??? EmptyTue Aug 31, 2010 11:40 pm

howdy, just a quickie really, I am wondering if my troubles with expressing are a wee bit to do with my pump not being very comfy (bruisy!) although I don't know what other ones are like......does anyone have any recommendations?

Also, the one I have (avent manual) is obviously manual, but Mothercare have a TT electric one on offer at the moment - is electric really better? Is it worth it? I would really like to express more cos I feel so restricted going to places I don't feel I can feed, and resent using formula to please other people haha!
Back to top Go down
Pepper

Pepper

Edit MY profile

breast pump advice??? _
PostSubject: Re: breast pump advice???   breast pump advice??? EmptyWed Sep 01, 2010 12:18 am

I tried both the TT and Avent manual pumps and found the TT to be better to use. Though they were both very painful but I did get more when I expessed using the TT one.

It is expensive to buy and find it's not for you. My Surestart centre used to hire out electric breastpumps for free. It might be worth asking your HV or local centre if they have a similar scheme near you.

xx
Back to top Go down

Edit MY profile

breast pump advice??? _
PostSubject: Re: breast pump advice???   breast pump advice??? EmptyWed Sep 01, 2010 12:29 am

I had the medela swing and that was okay. I bought it from Tesco Direct and then sold it on eBay for almost as much as I paid.
Back to top Go down
J1

Edit MY profile

breast pump advice??? _
PostSubject: Re: breast pump advice???   breast pump advice??? EmptyWed Sep 01, 2010 12:32 am

i had the avent manual pump and swapped to the electric one, it definately made a difference being electric, like pepper says tho try your hv to see if you can hire one for free x
Back to top Go down
mariheartselijah

Edit MY profile

breast pump advice??? _
PostSubject: Re: breast pump advice???   breast pump advice??? EmptyWed Sep 01, 2010 3:17 am

hmmmm I had forgotten some places hire. We don't have surestart but I wonder if my h.v might finally prove her worth and know anything - we are heading there tomorrow anyway Very Happy

I don't know why but I'm surprised people buy second hand pumps - thinking about it though I can't really see why not!
Back to top Go down
GraceBean&Pip

Edit MY profile

breast pump advice??? _
PostSubject: Re: breast pump advice???   breast pump advice??? EmptyWed Sep 01, 2010 4:05 am

I had a madela electric one and sold it for about a tenner Rolling Eyes doh!

Used the TT manual one, have two infact, and could express about 6 ounces off two boobs in 10/15 mins using breastshells on the opposite boob too.

Just to add, and sorry as you prob/poss know this already - but when expressing, massage the boob first, have a drink before and/or during and try to either have a picture of baby or baby in the room to look at, as well as sitting comfortably and well supported - with everything to hand so you don't have to be stretching about too much and can relax. Just all helps the brain to boobie to bottle flow Wink

Hope the HV is of use - the more expensive electric ones (like in hospital) are really good as you can adjust the strength and the frequency of the suction iykwim so well worth a try - even to just get your breasts used to expressing and then you will probably find that the manual pump will work better after that boost too. xx
Back to top Go down
mariheartselijah

Edit MY profile

breast pump advice??? _
PostSubject: Re: breast pump advice???   breast pump advice??? EmptyWed Sep 01, 2010 4:59 am

I generally only get 2oz ish maybe 3 if I express from both sides but I only do it occasionally ust now because its sore after 10 minutes!

I find that I need to sit quite uncomfortably in that I need to lean forward or the pump leaks back down my tummy, is that what they are all like??? I have tried loads of different ways of sitting, but hunching over is the only way I can get it to go into the pump, its not exactly a nice calming experience!
Back to top Go down
GraceBean&Pip

Edit MY profile

breast pump advice??? _
PostSubject: Re: breast pump advice???   breast pump advice??? EmptyWed Sep 01, 2010 5:28 am

No, leaning tends to be the way Rolling Eyes annoying isn't it - cos you can't support your back. If you can at least have your elbows supported, moreso the non-pumping arm to take some of your body weight - and try not to focus on the pumping but the baby (I used to look at pics and vids on my phone) and have a tasty snack or a cuppa that you can tempt yourself with, and a magazine or the tv on to look at too, make it a bit more pleasant? Your boobs are clever though, they know when they're being duped I think, and it takes a while for them to figure out their not being abused so they will give up the milk more easy! Do you get the feeling of let-down and get the milk faster flowing after a bit, or is it hard work throughout and like pulling the milk out? Oo, I can almost feel the tingle just thinking about it Laughing

You could pump every day or every other day at a certain time, and either chill (3days life) or freeze (months worth of life) what you express, just so it's more about getting your boobs used to pumping rather than only pumping when you need to? That way you can try it for a week or so and see if it gets comfier and/or you get a bit more milk. xx
Back to top Go down
mariheartselijah

Edit MY profile

breast pump advice??? _
PostSubject: Re: breast pump advice???   breast pump advice??? EmptyWed Sep 01, 2010 8:19 am

hahaha its uncomfy! No, I do get a decent let-down, most of the time Eli is lying on the floor in front of me (asleep, not just dropped Wink ) so it seems to work, I think because I only do it a couple of times a week I havent got 'the method' down and end up with 2 or so ounces and get impatient!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Edit MY profile

breast pump advice??? _
PostSubject: Re: breast pump advice???   breast pump advice??? Empty

Back to top Go down

breast pump advice???

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Babies & All :: Children & Parenting :: Baby Babble-
Latest topics
» Spotting
breast pump advice??? Emptyby Marie-Pier Tue May 01, 2018 12:31 pm

» Help You Save The Expense Of Wedding Dress
breast pump advice??? Emptyby thefashion Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:09 pm

» Select from online wedding dress stores
breast pump advice??? Emptyby dfwre Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:52 pm

» A wide collection of Wedding Decoration Ideas
breast pump advice??? Emptyby sahalegail Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:29 pm

» Casual wedding dress in higher need?
breast pump advice??? Emptyby dfwre Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:18 pm

» An Amazing collection of Wedding Decoration
breast pump advice??? Emptyby sahalegail Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:12 pm

» Teddy Bears Picnic Party Supplies?
breast pump advice??? Emptyby sahalegail Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:39 am

» baby esme grace
breast pump advice??? Emptyby liberty Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:01 am

» For Sell:Stokke XPLORY Stroller/Bugaboo camel
breast pump advice??? Emptyby garyboatner Thu May 02, 2013 5:28 pm

» For Sell:Stokke XPLORY Stroller/Bugaboo camel
breast pump advice??? Emptyby garyboatner Thu May 02, 2013 5:27 pm

» Natures Sway Hammock & Stand
breast pump advice??? Emptyby Tell Wed May 01, 2013 8:22 pm

» Banda mobile
breast pump advice??? Emptyby EmVar Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:50 am

» is it enough at 10 weeks?
breast pump advice??? Emptyby char w Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:02 pm

» Merry Christmas
breast pump advice??? Emptyby Lisa Tue Dec 25, 2012 3:07 am

» Are Nativity Plays Still Compulsory?
breast pump advice??? Emptyby Emmylou Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:14 am

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Most Viewed Topics
Introduce Yourself!
September 2009 mummies
10 Illegal baby names
New Weight Watchers ProPoints plan explained.
Cheesy Party songs (90s)
say hello to the sun baby sensory song???
Whats the first thing you think of?
Banda Night In ladies (pics included)
pro points calculator
Most active topics
September 2009 mummies
Introduce Yourself!
Whats the first thing you think of?
Bin it or eat it
Change the letter.
Girls and boys names.
which one???
Count to a 1000 in words