Babies & All
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome PageSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog inHome

Share | 

Maintenance Payments

View previous topic View next topic Go down 

Similar topics

+
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
snoopy21

About Me!
My Name:
Number of Children: 1

Edit MY profile

Maintenance Payments - Page 3 _
PostSubject: Maintenance Payments   Maintenance Payments - Page 3 EmptyTue Mar 15, 2011 9:27 am

First topic message reminder :

I dont know too much about how payments work but I read a very interesting debate on netmums (Im a lurker) that got me thinking....

Should dads always pay maintenance? My instinctive answer was yes they bloody should!!! But, as the thread went on I did start to consider other peoples points.

A couple of people on the thread thought that their OHs shouldnt have to pay maintenance to an ex as it was detrimental to the kids in their relationship. Examples used included mums getting with a new partner who was a high earner and also earning herself and then getting maintenance off an ex who had a new partner and low income. Some people thought that the dad shouldnt have to pay maintenance to a mum who already has more than enough to live comfortably while they had to struggle. They said that subsequent children were suffering.

Another thing is should maintenance affect benefits? Atm as far as im aware maintenance isnt included as income (please correct me if im wrong!) Would this be a fairer way to cut down the benefits bill by taking a certain % of payment and using it as income to reduce a payment made by govt? (Only prob I can see is the payments maybe wouldnt be relaible I suppose).

I still think men should always pay maintenance as a matter of principal... but then I can see other people's point scratch
Whats your views/experiences?
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: Maintenance Payments   Maintenance Payments - Page 3 EmptyWed Mar 16, 2011 8:52 am

[quote="BabyMilly"]
mara wrote:

I've no intention of starting a post on mothers on benefits!

Too late I did it Maintenance Payments - Page 3 7044
Back to top Go down

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: Maintenance Payments   Maintenance Payments - Page 3 EmptyWed Mar 16, 2011 9:00 am

Debs, yes £30 is about right, at my sons school they each have an account with is authorised via the childs fingerprint. I pay by cheque so I know it's not going on sweets etc. They can use their account for pizza etc at break so it's not all dinners.

Rugby, footy, pocket money,dinner money are just the icing on the cake, my oh doesn't contribute in any other way. So what I mean is it doesn't go towards household bills, clothes, uniforms, shoes, sports wear, school trips etc.
Back to top Go down
gemz

gemz

About Me!
My Name: gemma
Number of Children: 2

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: Maintenance Payments   Maintenance Payments - Page 3 EmptyWed Mar 16, 2011 9:03 am

£30 are you serious Shocked what do they drink liquid gold?? wow, leo's school is only £8.50 a week(soon to be 10, thanx gov Rolling Eyes ) they get fruit and milk!

is it secondry school im taking it??
Back to top Go down

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: Maintenance Payments   Maintenance Payments - Page 3 EmptyWed Mar 16, 2011 9:14 am

Yes it's secondary school, you can set limits as to what they spend and they buy. Drinks are fruitshoots etc and they're a pound a go, he has 3 of them per day. I did try packing some from home in his bag but he was embarrassed.
Back to top Go down
Donna
Admin
Donna

About Me!
My Name: Donna
Number of Children: 0

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: Maintenance Payments   Maintenance Payments - Page 3 EmptyWed Mar 16, 2011 9:19 am

Tom and chels high school was £1.70 for a dinner and pudding per day. extra if you wanted snacks at break times.
Back to top Go down
snoopy21

About Me!
My Name:

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: Maintenance Payments   Maintenance Payments - Page 3 EmptyWed Mar 16, 2011 9:26 am

Oh dear Embarassed I knew this was a bit of a touchy subject judging by the responses on netmums but I didnt intend anyone to get upset/offended.

To take some responsibility I did ask in original thread if people thought that money should be deducted from benefits so perhaps that got the idea in people's heads. Im sure babymilly didnt mean to upset you mara! Im on benefits too and am not offended by it. Its not like either of us decided thats what we wanted to do with our lives, its what has to happen to put food on the table at the moment. You've paid your tax previously, and iv paid tax for 8 years through PT & FT work and hope to again. Maintenance Payments - Page 3 466645

As iv said before i dont have that strong an opinion either way. My dad didnt pay a penny for me for 14 years, my life would have been alot nicer if her did. We didnt have a car until I was 14, lived with my grandparents til I was 10, had one childhood holiday... I wasnt poor but maintenance would have made life alot easier on my mum.

A balance of lifestyles needs to be addressed. Its not fair if in some cases 1st borns get a lot of money at the expense of children in new relationships.

Can I just say that I can see how maintenance could/should be used to contribute to rent & bills in some cases. If you have 2 children you are obviously going to have to rent at least a 2 bed house as opposed to a 1 bed. You will have to heat the extra bedroom (& possibly keep the house warmer than you would if you were on your own), use more water in baths, more washing/drying... I can see how having a child pushes bills up and its not just clothes/food/spends.
Back to top Go down
snoopy21

About Me!
My Name:

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: Maintenance Payments   Maintenance Payments - Page 3 EmptyWed Mar 16, 2011 9:31 am

Ooopss we've changed the subject... lol!

My dinners 10 years ago were about £2.20 a day for either a sandwhich and a bun or a hot meal & pud. Drinks were extra from machines (though was normal to bring own and no one laughed). I would say mum gave me £15 a week for dinners but generally I sold them at a discount rate (we had money loaded on plastic swipe card each month) and spent the money on cigs and a bar of chocolate Embarassed I was the skinniest in my life in 4/5th year due to this diet! Laughing
Back to top Go down
gemz

gemz

About Me!

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: Maintenance Payments   Maintenance Payments - Page 3 EmptyWed Mar 16, 2011 9:32 am

yeah i agree, keeping a child warm and comfortable does put your bills up quite a bit...maybe if a mother didnt have children she would live in a smaller flat...or be able to work long hours and not worry about childcare so would be able to earn more x
Back to top Go down
gemz

gemz

About Me!

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: Maintenance Payments   Maintenance Payments - Page 3 EmptyWed Mar 16, 2011 9:34 am

pmsl snoopy, yeah we used to buy dinner tickets at the begginig of the week for hot meals, ot sandwiches and cookie for £2...but i just used to buy a can of coke and bar of choccy!! oh the skinny size 6 days Laughing xx
Back to top Go down
MrsDebs

MrsDebs

About Me!
My Name: Debs

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: Maintenance Payments   Maintenance Payments - Page 3 EmptyWed Mar 16, 2011 9:37 am

I think my point on whether maintenance should used for rent is more to do with the fact that the non resident parent has to provide a roof for when they have the children over - be it one night a week or 3-4, so I don't believe that they should have to contribute towards the roof that the resident parent has - i.e. - they both have to provide a roof over the kids head (maybe different in cases where ther is no access to the child).

I did include bills such as utilities in it because yes they are increased when you have children - I would neve have my heating on if I didn't have the kids - I'm so tight I would just wear extra clothes Laughing

xx
Back to top Go down
gemz

gemz

About Me!

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: Maintenance Payments   Maintenance Payments - Page 3 EmptyWed Mar 16, 2011 9:41 am

lmao debs me too...infact if i didnt have kids id never be in the house to use the heating cos id be in the pub all day Wink Laughing x
Back to top Go down
snoopy21

About Me!
My Name:

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: Maintenance Payments   Maintenance Payments - Page 3 EmptyWed Mar 16, 2011 9:44 am

gemzandboys wrote:
oh the skinny size 6 days Laughing xx

*whispers* or the skinny days when a 12 was a tad loose Embarassed Laughing
Back to top Go down
Mario

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: Maintenance Payments   Maintenance Payments - Page 3 EmptyWed Mar 16, 2011 9:51 am

snoopy21 wrote:
gemzandboys wrote:
oh the skinny size 6 days Laughing xx

*whispers* or the skinny days when a 12 was a tad loose Embarassed Laughing

HMPH IM EVEN JEALOUS OF THAT
Back to top Go down
stephandhannah

stephandhannah

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: Maintenance Payments   Maintenance Payments - Page 3 EmptyWed Mar 16, 2011 9:59 am

in an ideal situation each parent would earn similar amounts, take the child/ren equal amount of days and both provide clothes, food, pocket money and the man wouldnt have to pay any maintenance. but its highly unlikely.

I know if me and oh split we would have to come to some agreement as he earns way more than me. but I would like to think we would work it all out.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: Maintenance Payments   Maintenance Payments - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Maintenance Payments

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Babies & All :: General Chat :: The Lounge :: Debates & Polls-
Latest topics
» Spotting
Maintenance Payments - Page 3 Emptyby Marie-Pier Tue May 01, 2018 12:31 pm

» Help You Save The Expense Of Wedding Dress
Maintenance Payments - Page 3 Emptyby thefashion Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:09 pm

» Select from online wedding dress stores
Maintenance Payments - Page 3 Emptyby dfwre Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:52 pm

» A wide collection of Wedding Decoration Ideas
Maintenance Payments - Page 3 Emptyby sahalegail Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:29 pm

» Casual wedding dress in higher need?
Maintenance Payments - Page 3 Emptyby dfwre Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:18 pm

» An Amazing collection of Wedding Decoration
Maintenance Payments - Page 3 Emptyby sahalegail Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:12 pm

» Teddy Bears Picnic Party Supplies?
Maintenance Payments - Page 3 Emptyby sahalegail Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:39 am

» baby esme grace
Maintenance Payments - Page 3 Emptyby liberty Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:01 am

» For Sell:Stokke XPLORY Stroller/Bugaboo camel
Maintenance Payments - Page 3 Emptyby garyboatner Thu May 02, 2013 5:28 pm

» For Sell:Stokke XPLORY Stroller/Bugaboo camel
Maintenance Payments - Page 3 Emptyby garyboatner Thu May 02, 2013 5:27 pm

» Natures Sway Hammock & Stand
Maintenance Payments - Page 3 Emptyby Tell Wed May 01, 2013 8:22 pm

» Banda mobile
Maintenance Payments - Page 3 Emptyby EmVar Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:50 am

» is it enough at 10 weeks?
Maintenance Payments - Page 3 Emptyby char w Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:02 pm

» Merry Christmas
Maintenance Payments - Page 3 Emptyby Lisa Tue Dec 25, 2012 3:07 am

» Are Nativity Plays Still Compulsory?
Maintenance Payments - Page 3 Emptyby Emmylou Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:14 am

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Most Viewed Topics
Introduce Yourself!
September 2009 mummies
10 Illegal baby names
New Weight Watchers ProPoints plan explained.
Cheesy Party songs (90s)
say hello to the sun baby sensory song???
Whats the first thing you think of?
Banda Night In ladies (pics included)
pro points calculator
Most active topics
September 2009 mummies
Introduce Yourself!
Whats the first thing you think of?
Bin it or eat it
Change the letter.
Girls and boys names.
which one???
Count to a 1000 in words