Babies & All
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome PageSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog inHome

Share | 

Tips

View previous topic View next topic Go down 

Similar topics

+
AuthorMessage
SemoandHaribo

SemoandHaribo

About Me!
My Name: Emma
Number of Children: 1

Edit MY profile

Tips _
PostSubject: Tips   Tips EmptyFri Sep 23, 2011 1:56 am

Do you ever tip the waiting staff when you eat out?? Obviously you have to be satisfied with the service but I always tip the waiting staff and feel awful if I can't/forget to. Went out with my friend who is now a doctor (same age as me) and she looked at me like I was mental when I put my plate on hers when we had finished the meal so it made it easier for the waitress to take it away. She said thats what they're paid for and I just thought well if I was at work and clearing a table I wouldn't expect them to help but thats because its completely different clientele altogether lol, some of them do sometimes and its nice. I just don't like to be rude... anyway trailing off there lol do you leave a tip??

If not why not (were they shite at their job) and if so good on you hahaha xx
Back to top Go down
mandy

mandy

About Me!
My Name: Mandy

Edit MY profile

Tips _
PostSubject: Re: Tips   Tips EmptyFri Sep 23, 2011 2:00 am

I leave a tip if I've had good service. If I haven't than I don't. I usually tip 12.5% of the bill if I do leave one
Back to top Go down
http://www.amandascakes.co.uk
Lisa
Admin
Lisa

About Me!
My Name: Lisa

Edit MY profile

Tips _
PostSubject: Re: Tips   Tips EmptyFri Sep 23, 2011 2:05 am

I normally do...to be honest I don't really remember the last time I had poor service and didn't tip

I'm more simple than Mandy though...I'm a 10% gal cos its easier to work it out quickly!
Back to top Go down
http://www.babiesandall.co.uk
mandy

mandy

About Me!
My Name: Mandy

Edit MY profile

Tips _
PostSubject: Re: Tips   Tips EmptyFri Sep 23, 2011 2:10 am

I used to always leave 10% Lisa, until I met Matt, then we went out for dinner and he told me I was tight Laughing
Back to top Go down
http://www.amandascakes.co.uk
kab

About Me!
My Name:
Number of Children:

Edit MY profile

Tips _
PostSubject: Re: Tips   Tips EmptyFri Sep 23, 2011 2:14 am

Trev tips as he's the one paying the bill Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Jade

Jade

About Me!
My Name: Jade

Edit MY profile

Tips _
PostSubject: Re: Tips   Tips EmptyFri Sep 23, 2011 2:14 am

I tip unless Ive had bad service... but I think your made to feel like you should tip in a lot of places and I almost feel guilty sitting there waiting for change!

I tip 10% too.

i hate the though of going to places where the tip is included in the final price... I think it should be optional!
Back to top Go down
Shell

Shell

About Me!
My Name: Michelle
Number of Children: 2

Edit MY profile

Tips _
PostSubject: Re: Tips   Tips EmptyFri Sep 23, 2011 2:17 am

Hmm i'm a bit funny about this. I will tip if the service is good, normally 10% or near enough (usually the coins i have in my purse Laughing) i hate being expected to give a tip though. I will only do it if i want to. Ultimately it is their job, i wouldn't tip a sales assistant for serving me in a shop so I do think it's strange we're expected to tip waiters/waitresses.
I do try and help clear plates to make it easier though, thats just being nice. I've been a waitress and it is appreciated.
Back to top Go down
SemoandHaribo

SemoandHaribo

About Me!

Edit MY profile

Tips _
PostSubject: Re: Tips   Tips EmptyFri Sep 23, 2011 2:39 am

I don't think waiting staff get paid enough anyway, the pressure we get put under where I work is ridiculous, and the "Front of house" managers stay behind the doors whilst we get rude gobby customers talking to us like shit, yet they get double what we get for doing *$%£ all. Its not just where I work either it happens in a lot of places, front of house staff are treating like shit and therefore deserve a bit of recognition (not saying that means leave a tip though)... It really is a thankless job, but I know its not the only thankless job lol x
Back to top Go down
MrsDebs

MrsDebs

About Me!
My Name: Debs

Edit MY profile

Tips _
PostSubject: Re: Tips   Tips EmptyFri Sep 23, 2011 2:43 am

I always tip because I spent a lot of time as a waitress in various levels of pub/restaurant/posh hotel etc and although I'm always a nice customer, the amount of shite waiters and waitresses have to put up with from some customers is unreal - it can be a god awful job and usually minimum wage so I feel sorry for them and make sure I tip.

Having said that I wouldn't if I got crap service. My major bug bares are waiting staff that are miserable or have attitude towards customers - there is no excuse for it, if you're having a bad day you leave that in the kitchen and ALWAYS smile front of house and be pleasant and friendly. Another bug bare is staff who stand around talking to other staff and ignore customers or worse still stand behind a bar/in a corner texting on their phones Mad

I try really really hard to avoid all places where the tip is included in the bill, I've worked in a place that did that and believe me the staff rarely see any benefit from it Evil or Very Mad

xx
Back to top Go down
Clare

Clare

About Me!
My Name: Clare

Edit MY profile

Tips _
PostSubject: Re: Tips   Tips EmptyFri Sep 23, 2011 2:46 am

I've got a thankless job too, although I have had one mom thank me for removing her kids.....

But we tip, I've worked in bars and restaurants and always try to sort out the plates especially if there's lots of us, but as front line staff you get abuse in any job.

Although I refuse to tip in pizza hut because they bring a drink and we go to buffet, don't think that deserves a tip
Back to top Go down
LisaGandAmelia

LisaGandAmelia

About Me!

Edit MY profile

Tips _
PostSubject: Re: Tips   Tips EmptyFri Sep 23, 2011 2:50 am

I tip but I base the amount on the service I receive. I'm not afraid to leave no tip at all if I've had crap service (which is scarily common). I used to work as a waitress and no matter what was going on in my life I would always have a smile and be attentive and pleasent.
Back to top Go down
SemoandHaribo

SemoandHaribo

About Me!

Edit MY profile

Tips _
PostSubject: Re: Tips   Tips EmptyFri Sep 23, 2011 2:58 am

Last week when I was almost splitting up with Rob I was sobbing on the chef (poor guy) in the kitchen and all smiles with the customers in the restaurant, its not their fault I'm having a shitty time lol. I work in a place that puts a 10% charge on the bill for service and I really do think thats cheeky! People pay it though but if they go to give me a tip I say the service is on the bill, but they give me it anyway (I always have to hand it in though). At the end of the month tips are divided up and we get 20 quid each which is shit if you think of what the hotel actually makes in service charges!
Back to top Go down
Clare

Clare

About Me!
My Name: Clare

Edit MY profile

Tips _
PostSubject: Re: Tips   Tips EmptyFri Sep 23, 2011 3:27 am

Hun does it state on reciept that tips are paid to hotel including extra, because if not then your tips are yours and it's against consumer rights if you not getting what the customer as given you.

Does it go up around Xmas?
Back to top Go down
SemoandHaribo

SemoandHaribo

About Me!

Edit MY profile

Tips _
PostSubject: Re: Tips   Tips EmptyFri Sep 23, 2011 3:36 am

We get a Xmas bonus, but as a casual worker (even though I do end up doing 40 hours a week) I don't get much. All it says is there will be a 10% service charge added to the bill so no it doesn't say they are paid to the hotel and not to us x
Back to top Go down
Lisa
Admin
Lisa

About Me!

Edit MY profile

Tips _
PostSubject: Re: Tips   Tips EmptyFri Sep 23, 2011 3:39 am

I kinda agree with it all being divied between the staff though...so even if you were given £100 a month, bu the time its shared ebtween the chefs, washer uppers, waitress etc maybe its fair?

Thats how it worked at the posh place I worked at - I worked in the bar and still got a % of the tips...even though I was never given any directly I'd like to think that people who give tips don't aim it JUST at the waitress!
Back to top Go down
http://www.babiesandall.co.uk
mariheartselijah

Edit MY profile

Tips _
PostSubject: Re: Tips   Tips EmptyFri Sep 23, 2011 4:01 am

i am on a mission to tip support workers!!!!!!!!! that is all!
Back to top Go down
SemoandHaribo

SemoandHaribo

About Me!

Edit MY profile

Tips _
PostSubject: Re: Tips   Tips EmptyFri Sep 23, 2011 4:37 am

I agree it should be divided out between the staff but there are about 40 members of staff in total at the grange, in total they get about 1200 in tips (some members of staff get 40 in tips a month). The hotel takes at LEAST 2000 in tips every month (EBOR month we took 5000 and they gave everyone an extra tenner!) where does the rest of it go?? Its not fair really and its not just the Grange that does it, many other places do x
Back to top Go down
Kate

Kate

About Me!
My Name: Kate

Edit MY profile

Tips _
PostSubject: Re: Tips   Tips EmptyFri Sep 23, 2011 4:58 am

I always tip (would only not if it had been truly awful), We usually leave about 10% of the overall bill or a minimum of a fiver if its only been a lunch or something less than £50 x
Back to top Go down
olliesmammy

olliesmammy

Edit MY profile

Tips _
PostSubject: Re: Tips   Tips EmptyFri Sep 23, 2011 7:37 am

I dont tip Embarassed

As far as I'm concerned they get paid to do their job why should they get a tip aswell? I know it's crap money but me and oh are both on minimum wage so basically what they get. Thats my logic anyway.

Please dont hate me Laughing
Back to top Go down

Edit MY profile

Tips _
PostSubject: Re: Tips   Tips EmptyFri Sep 23, 2011 7:47 am

I think it should be choice and not something that included in the price. When I give a tip I would like it to go to who I give it to and not to be shared. I've already paid for the food and the cost of cooking and a huge profit so when I tip it's because I got really good service from a happy, helpful, attentive server.

I also stack plates to help out Smile
Back to top Go down
mariheartselijah

Edit MY profile

Tips _
PostSubject: Re: Tips   Tips EmptyFri Sep 23, 2011 7:56 am

Quote :
As far as I'm concerned they get paid to do their job why should they
get a tip aswell? I know it's crap money but me and oh are both on
minimum wage so basically what they get. Thats my logic anyway.
i agree with that, if someone is really great or goes out of their way i will tip, but only if i know the money is going to that individual, i think it's a bit unfair to expect payment above and beyond what you are paid : /
Back to top Go down
stephandhannah

stephandhannah

Edit MY profile

Tips _
PostSubject: Re: Tips   Tips EmptyFri Sep 23, 2011 8:44 am

I always tip. always. minimum £5.

I go out of my way to be really nice to people at the end of the phone when im calling a call centre - its not their fault, they only work for the company. - my friend was literally screaming down the phone at someone because her phone network was down? off tangent here but I have worked in so many jobs dealing with the public and would never treat someone like crap and your right some people serving do deserve some recognition. Ive rarely had someone be rude to me in a restuarant.

I work in a vets so get a LOT of people complain about the bill etc. I always have to bite my tongue because having a pet is a luxury - cant afford it - dont get one. plus they always blame me because its me they are directly speaking to - I actually get a really shit wage and worked my ass off to look after your pet so dont speak to me like I own the whole company and Im trying to rip you off!!

went on my own little rant there - yes I do tip haha x
Back to top Go down
CarlaAndCallum

CarlaAndCallum

About Me!
My Name: Carla

Edit MY profile

Tips _
PostSubject: Re: Tips   Tips EmptySat Sep 24, 2011 8:38 pm

we always stack our plates but theres normally aload of us eating so its just easier to put them at the end of the table together ratehr then the waiter/waitress has to try and reach all over us to get our plates x

We normally tip unless its really bad x
Back to top Go down
Mario

Edit MY profile

Tips _
PostSubject: Re: Tips   Tips EmptySun Sep 25, 2011 5:46 am

I tip 10% unless the setvice has been crap. Mind I also tip my hairdresser. Not sure why i just always do. We always stack our plates and when Awens had a bit of a headfit and wanged her food on the floor (the joys of eating out with a baby led weaner) we pick it up. I think I surprised the waitress the other day when I asked for a dustpan and brush. I figure thats not their job to deal with the fact my baby likes to annouce dinner is over with a spot of food flinging
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Edit MY profile

Tips _
PostSubject: Re: Tips   Tips Empty

Back to top Go down

Tips

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Babies & All :: General Chat :: The Lounge-
Latest topics
» Spotting
Tips Emptyby Marie-Pier Tue May 01, 2018 12:31 pm

» Help You Save The Expense Of Wedding Dress
Tips Emptyby thefashion Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:09 pm

» Select from online wedding dress stores
Tips Emptyby dfwre Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:52 pm

» A wide collection of Wedding Decoration Ideas
Tips Emptyby sahalegail Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:29 pm

» Casual wedding dress in higher need?
Tips Emptyby dfwre Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:18 pm

» An Amazing collection of Wedding Decoration
Tips Emptyby sahalegail Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:12 pm

» Teddy Bears Picnic Party Supplies?
Tips Emptyby sahalegail Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:39 am

» baby esme grace
Tips Emptyby liberty Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:01 am

» For Sell:Stokke XPLORY Stroller/Bugaboo camel
Tips Emptyby garyboatner Thu May 02, 2013 5:28 pm

» For Sell:Stokke XPLORY Stroller/Bugaboo camel
Tips Emptyby garyboatner Thu May 02, 2013 5:27 pm

» Natures Sway Hammock & Stand
Tips Emptyby Tell Wed May 01, 2013 8:22 pm

» Banda mobile
Tips Emptyby EmVar Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:50 am

» is it enough at 10 weeks?
Tips Emptyby char w Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:02 pm

» Merry Christmas
Tips Emptyby Lisa Tue Dec 25, 2012 3:07 am

» Are Nativity Plays Still Compulsory?
Tips Emptyby Emmylou Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:14 am

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Most Viewed Topics
Introduce Yourself!
September 2009 mummies
10 Illegal baby names
New Weight Watchers ProPoints plan explained.
say hello to the sun baby sensory song???
Cheesy Party songs (90s)
Whats the first thing you think of?
Banda Night In ladies (pics included)
pro points calculator
Most active topics
September 2009 mummies
Introduce Yourself!
Whats the first thing you think of?
Bin it or eat it
Change the letter.
Girls and boys names.
which one???