Babies & All
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome PageSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog inHome

Share | 

Todays Strike Action

View previous topic View next topic Go down 

Similar topics

+
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Laura

Laura

Edit MY profile

Todays Strike Action - Page 2 _
PostSubject: Todays Strike Action   Todays Strike Action - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 01, 2011 2:38 am

First topic message reminder :

I havent read up on everything that is going on with the teachers, hospital staff, etc.

But, I dont understand the strike action.

My work cancelled our pensions last November. It was a case of 'lose your company pension contribution or lose your job' - so we just accepted that we needed our jobs and the pensions were cancelled.

I dont want to start a war, especially as I dont know the full facts, so if anybody wants to enlighten me im more than willing to listen to both sides, but surely in this economic climate we all need to understand that cuts have to be made somewhere?

I must say though, that if there was a child who died today in hospital due to the strike action and lack of staffing, then surely somebody somewhere needs to answer for this?
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
Laura

Laura

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: Todays Strike Action   Todays Strike Action - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 01, 2011 8:17 am

Ok, without wanting to sound a bit dim, why, if the government are offering such a shit deal, dont the teachers, etc. just get private pensions like everybody else?

Surely its their choice where they put their pensions and if the deal is that bad, then they need to look elsewhere for a a better deal? x
Back to top Go down

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: Todays Strike Action   Todays Strike Action - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 01, 2011 8:24 am

Laura, for me the pension was always a perk of the job as pay is pretty grim. Ive been paying into it for almost 12 years now. If id have known then what I know now I would have but I'm getting a bit old now to benefit from a new pension Smile
Back to top Go down
Mario

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: Todays Strike Action   Todays Strike Action - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 01, 2011 8:26 am

Well Laura you have said yourself. Private pensions are shite. Yes the public sector pension will work out better still but does that mean you should lie down and let the government ride roughshod over your rights? Its like Lisa said, they are taking the surplus being paid in and asking for more. Wouldnt you have something to say if it were your savings they were raiding. Maybe I didnt explain it very well its all a bit long winded to be true
Back to top Go down
Laura

Laura

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: Todays Strike Action   Todays Strike Action - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 01, 2011 8:27 am

I honestly didnt realise that pay was bad for teachers? I always thought that teachers got a pretty good salary? x
Back to top Go down
Mario

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: Todays Strike Action   Todays Strike Action - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 01, 2011 8:31 am

I can only speak for nurses and I have to say theres been vast improvements in the last 10 years ive been doing it. I dont even mind that my retirement age has been lifted as thats gonna be a universal thing. Assuming my back and knees hold out that long of course. If everyone opts out the public sector pensions though its only gonna make matters worse
Back to top Go down
Laura

Laura

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: Todays Strike Action   Todays Strike Action - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 01, 2011 8:32 am

I'm not against the principle just the means, I would hate to think that anybody suffered today, or a child died because the care wasnt there in hospitals, etc. Mario, I have total respect for you for carrying on working and if I were in your shoes I would have done the same, for the same reasons.

I would be really narked if my money was effectively being stolen, lets face it, who wouldnt be.
Back to top Go down
liberty

liberty

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: Todays Strike Action   Todays Strike Action - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 01, 2011 8:33 am

Teachers do get a reasonable pay although I suspect if you work out the hours we work it would be a poor hourly rate but that's true for many people. The problem is I've now hit the top of my pay scale (and lets just say I'm not on the higher tax earner scale so we're not talking a massive amount) and there's nowhere else for me to go for the rest of my career. However, it still hits us when we get pay freezes when everything else goes up. The other thing is that with my qualifications I could be on a lot more in the private sector (which most of the friends I graduated are). I often work the same hours as my sister and end up on a lot less.

However, I'm not for a second going to suggest that I'm badly paid. I could take the loss in my pay packet. It would just mean less going into my savings. If we ever manage to sell our flat and move to a house we would be close to our overdraft every month though. However, many public sector workers are a lot worse off and don't get paid much. There's also the principle of the matter. Why should we pay off the deficit in what is basically a sneak tax when we didn't in any way cause the problem.
Back to top Go down
Lisa
Admin
Lisa

About Me!
My Name: Lisa
Number of Children: 1

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: Todays Strike Action   Todays Strike Action - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 01, 2011 8:36 am

Not really when you consider the hours they do

I think a normalise wage starts at £21k and raising to £35k ... is that about right?

School is 190 days a year - so in theory they earn £110- £184 a day (£13-£23/hour) - not bad you think - but the reality is they do a hell of a lot more hours that that

It's less than what Dan earns, I think its OK pay ... but I don't think it can be classed as great compared to what others who have studied for the same time can earn .. all depends what you compare it against.. but I agree that they have studied a long time and possibly would never earn the same as someone who choose for example engineering or architecture

Last edited by Lisa on Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.babiesandall.co.uk
J1

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: Todays Strike Action   Todays Strike Action - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 01, 2011 8:36 am

they get an ok salary Laura but god i know Lots of teachers and their day doesnt end at 3.30 when school finishes and TBH they dont generally use the holidays they get either some of my close friends are in there contiuously through holidays planning for future terms

the idea they sit on their arse for 6 weeks doing eff all is a myth (in my experience)
Back to top Go down
gemz

gemz

About Me!
My Name: gemma
Number of Children: 2

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: Todays Strike Action   Todays Strike Action - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 01, 2011 8:45 am

i can see both side's, i can understand why people are angry about them, luckily for me it was my day off work so i didnt have to make arrangements for chilcare but inknow a lot of parents have struggled today, also with my mum going into hospital and there being skelington staffing things have been pretty hectic there!!

but i do agree with the principel of them!! my mum is a nurse, and is fully behind the strikers although she felt she had a duty of care to her patients so decided not to strike...although obvs ended up being off work anyway!! i am behind them because they need to stand up to the government, its discusting what they are doing it just a shame it puts a lot of the public out too...especialy parent of school children!! x
Back to top Go down
liberty

liberty

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: Todays Strike Action   Todays Strike Action - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 01, 2011 8:46 am

Lisa wrote:
Not really when you consider the hours they do

I think a normalise wage starts at £21k and raising to £35k ... is that about right?

School is 190 days a year - so in theory they earn £110- £184 a day (£13-£23/hour) - not bad you think - but the reality is they do a hell of a lot more hours that that

It's less than what Dan earns, I think its OK pay ... but I don't think it can be classed as great compared to what others who have studied for the same time can earn .. all depends what you compare it against.. but I agree that they have studied a long time and possibly would never earn the same as someone who choose for example engineering or architecture

Yeah you're about right. I'm on £34,000 something (never actually know what I earn although I suppose I could go and look it up on the NUT website). There are two scales above me but I don't think they go up much and you have to go quite a bit extra whole school stuff to get them (although that may just be my school and my head). We are contracted for 195 days a year so a great wage for the hours that in theory I do but I generally work from 8 in the morning and its not unusual for me to work until 10 at night plus at least a day in the weekend and I used to basically work all my holidays unless we were actually on holiday (they keep changing the history we teach so I have to learn it) until I got ill and have learnt since not to spend the whole 13 weeks we have 'off' working. I also have 7 parents evenings a year and 2 open evenings plus meetings at least once a week and other late nights.

However, I'm not going to complain about what I earn. I earn less than I might with my qualifications but more than many and I chose to do the job. I also love the job. It would be nice to get pay rises in line with inflation each year but I'm sure everyone wants that.
Back to top Go down
Jade

Jade

About Me!
My Name: Jade
Number of Children: 1

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: Todays Strike Action   Todays Strike Action - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 02, 2011 5:10 am

I completely understand why people are striking and agree that what the government is doing isn't fair but at the same time think striking just doesn't actually help not when the act of striking affects the economy and then in turn means more money needs to be found from somewhere.

I don't really understand what the government are trying to do so am just going on what's been written here.

David Cameron was on This Morning today and basically said that the strike was pointless because they were still negotiating with the unions and that it didn't have that big an impact (of course he may just have been saying that to make the unions think it's worthless and not do anymore I don't know!) ... but have people lost a day's earnings to look after their kids for nothing?

I generally don't agree with striking anyway but I suppose at least it has made people sit up and realise what's going on and it has raised awareness about the cuts the government are making but I'm not sure if it will have had any benefit I think the government are still going to go ahead anyway.
Back to top Go down
Mario

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: Todays Strike Action   Todays Strike Action - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 02, 2011 6:27 am

The news this morning reckons there will be a resolution by New Year so fingers crossed as I would hate to see any more strikes. Much as I am behind the principle 100% I also dislike the means.

I see Jeremy Clarksons made a tit of himself though
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: Todays Strike Action   Todays Strike Action - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Todays Strike Action

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Babies & All :: General Chat :: The Lounge :: Debates & Polls-
Latest topics
» Spotting
Todays Strike Action - Page 2 Emptyby Marie-Pier Tue May 01, 2018 12:31 pm

» Help You Save The Expense Of Wedding Dress
Todays Strike Action - Page 2 Emptyby thefashion Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:09 pm

» Select from online wedding dress stores
Todays Strike Action - Page 2 Emptyby dfwre Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:52 pm

» A wide collection of Wedding Decoration Ideas
Todays Strike Action - Page 2 Emptyby sahalegail Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:29 pm

» Casual wedding dress in higher need?
Todays Strike Action - Page 2 Emptyby dfwre Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:18 pm

» An Amazing collection of Wedding Decoration
Todays Strike Action - Page 2 Emptyby sahalegail Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:12 pm

» Teddy Bears Picnic Party Supplies?
Todays Strike Action - Page 2 Emptyby sahalegail Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:39 am

» baby esme grace
Todays Strike Action - Page 2 Emptyby liberty Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:01 am

» For Sell:Stokke XPLORY Stroller/Bugaboo camel
Todays Strike Action - Page 2 Emptyby garyboatner Thu May 02, 2013 5:28 pm

» For Sell:Stokke XPLORY Stroller/Bugaboo camel
Todays Strike Action - Page 2 Emptyby garyboatner Thu May 02, 2013 5:27 pm

» Natures Sway Hammock & Stand
Todays Strike Action - Page 2 Emptyby Tell Wed May 01, 2013 8:22 pm

» Banda mobile
Todays Strike Action - Page 2 Emptyby EmVar Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:50 am

» is it enough at 10 weeks?
Todays Strike Action - Page 2 Emptyby char w Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:02 pm

» Merry Christmas
Todays Strike Action - Page 2 Emptyby Lisa Tue Dec 25, 2012 3:07 am

» Are Nativity Plays Still Compulsory?
Todays Strike Action - Page 2 Emptyby Emmylou Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:14 am

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Most Viewed Topics
Introduce Yourself!
September 2009 mummies
10 Illegal baby names
New Weight Watchers ProPoints plan explained.
Cheesy Party songs (90s)
say hello to the sun baby sensory song???
Whats the first thing you think of?
Banda Night In ladies (pics included)
pro points calculator
Most active topics
September 2009 mummies
Introduce Yourself!
Whats the first thing you think of?
Bin it or eat it
Change the letter.
Girls and boys names.
which one???
Count to a 1000 in words