Babies & All
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome PageSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog inHome

Share | 

Leaving your child sleeping in a car?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 

Similar topics

+
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Kell

Kell

About Me!
My Name: Kelly
Number of Children: 2

Edit MY profile

Leaving your child sleeping in a car? - Page 3 _
PostSubject: Leaving your child sleeping in a car?   Leaving your child sleeping in a car? - Page 3 EmptySun Dec 04, 2011 9:51 pm

First topic message reminder :

Do you or would you do this?
I've just seen a post saying to leave a child asleep in a car in any circumstances is neglectful, well I must neglect my child then because I've left him sleeping in the car outside the house or while I've popped into out local shop quickly. I always lock the door, and if I do I check on him regularly. I wouldn't do it in a massive car park like asda or anything like that and 9 times outta 10 tommys there as well.
But if he's not, Charlie has never woken up by the shop and when he wakes outside the house he's never distressed or upset.
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
Mario

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: Leaving your child sleeping in a car?   Leaving your child sleeping in a car? - Page 3 EmptyMon Dec 05, 2011 8:21 am

No they are for people in white vans or 80 year olds i think. Thats who seems to use them all when Im trying to find one anyway.
But thats a whole other rant
Back to top Go down
Lisa
Admin
Lisa

About Me!
My Name: Lisa
Number of Children: 1

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: Leaving your child sleeping in a car?   Leaving your child sleeping in a car? - Page 3 EmptyMon Dec 05, 2011 8:21 am

Maybe he thought had was a child minding space then?!
Back to top Go down
http://www.babiesandall.co.uk
gemz

gemz

About Me!
My Name: gemma

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: Leaving your child sleeping in a car?   Leaving your child sleeping in a car? - Page 3 EmptyMon Dec 05, 2011 8:23 am

lol!!
Back to top Go down
stephandhannah

stephandhannah

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: Leaving your child sleeping in a car?   Leaving your child sleeping in a car? - Page 3 EmptyMon Dec 05, 2011 8:27 am

LOL lisa. it should be. there should be car space childminders.

I just want to say I dont think its neglectful or wrong to leave your child in the car when you can see them from a shop window or bank machine.

but when I first read this post I was expecting to go read the other post and for it to have gotten out of hand with people saying that you need to take your child out the car to walk 3 steps to the bank machine. it was completely different to that.

and if someone left their child in a car and the car was broken into and the child was kidnapped it would be very much compared to the maddy case. a child was left - a child was taken. its the same thing to me.

wasnt there a football player that was in big trouble for doing this recently and he said he could see his daughter the whole time he was at the shop? I cant remember what happened with that but im sure the police were involved

x
Back to top Go down
michellenevan

michellenevan

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: Leaving your child sleeping in a car?   Leaving your child sleeping in a car? - Page 3 EmptyMon Dec 05, 2011 9:16 am

if im going to the cash machine i leave evan whether he is awake or asleep because its like 5 steps from where i park the car!!

i use pay at pump when i get petrol where i can but if i cant then unless there is a massive que evan gets left in the car!

if he fell asleep in the car on the way home i would never leave him in the car mainly because he would freak out when he woke up and would panic

i have left him asleep in the car if im nipping into the local shop for 2 mins but if he was awake then i would take him
Back to top Go down
Kell

Kell

About Me!
My Name: Kelly

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: Leaving your child sleeping in a car?   Leaving your child sleeping in a car? - Page 3 EmptyMon Dec 05, 2011 6:43 pm

There was one particular post right after mine that got me, basically saying that leaving them for any reason is neglect, that's rubbish IMO!

20 mins is a bit much I said that, but what are the chances he don't expect to be so long? I don't know, maybe this woman was so riled she exaggerated? But anyway who is she to judge him, no harm cam to the baby, I wonder if she would feel differently when she has a toddler like this boy? Who knows.

Back to top Go down
Mrs Cruise & Dee

Mrs Cruise & Dee

About Me!
My Name:
Number of Children: 3

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: Leaving your child sleeping in a car?   Leaving your child sleeping in a car? - Page 3 EmptyMon Dec 05, 2011 7:42 pm

my boys tend to sit in the car when am in tescos , they are 10 and 12 , they hate shopping so i lock them in the car in parent and child spaces that are directly outside the glassfronted shop
have done this for a few months now actually , they generally read a magazine, play on phone or something
i leave them all in car at petrol or bank but if going to a shop i take D with me

obviouslt there is a huge differance in age compared to leaving a toddler in car but some might call me negligent ! i however do not think i am !
Back to top Go down
Suse

Suse

About Me!
My Name: Suse

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: Leaving your child sleeping in a car?   Leaving your child sleeping in a car? - Page 3 EmptyMon Dec 05, 2011 8:13 pm

I must admit the only times I have left mine in the car is to put the shopping in the house and then as soon as I'm done bring them straight in - but never if we're out. Its not because I think its neglectful but I just couldnt bring myself to do it.
Back to top Go down
SemoandHaribo

SemoandHaribo

About Me!
My Name: Emma

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: Leaving your child sleeping in a car?   Leaving your child sleeping in a car? - Page 3 EmptyMon Dec 05, 2011 8:16 pm

I wouldn't leave Harry for that long, even if the guy didn't mean to be 20 minutes he still was; if he thought time was getting on a bit he should've left his shopping by the till (they look after it for you in the Mothercare by me) and just popped to check on him at least.

The cash machine/petrol station/local shop situation is different though, its much less stressful for both parties to just leave him in the car (normally his auntie gems car) with his postman pat steering wheel than to get him out for just 2 mins :/
Back to top Go down
Mario

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: Leaving your child sleeping in a car?   Leaving your child sleeping in a car? - Page 3 EmptyMon Dec 05, 2011 8:23 pm

Kell wrote:
There was one particular post right after mine that got me, basically saying that leaving them for any reason is neglect, that's rubbish IMO!

20 mins is a bit much I said that, but what are the chances he don't expect to be so long? I don't know, maybe this woman was so riled she exaggerated? But anyway who is she to judge him, no harm cam to the baby, I wonder if she would feel differently when she has a toddler like this boy? Who knows.

I think its all well an good saying we shouldnt judge him but lets be honest we all pass opinion on a variety of parenting issues this is no different. He might not have meant to be 20 mins but he was and no harm came to the kid but it could have i think thats peoples point. I dont agree leaving them for 2 mins to get some cash out the machine or fuel up etc is negligence thpugh thats a bit daft. It would take longer getting em in and out than whipping some money out with one eye on the car
Back to top Go down
Nay

Nay

About Me!
My Name: Naomi

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: Leaving your child sleeping in a car?   Leaving your child sleeping in a car? - Page 3 EmptyMon Dec 05, 2011 8:30 pm

The only time I leave Chloe in the car on her own is when I put the shopping in the house.

I don't feel comfortable leaving her on her own whilst at the petrol station, cash point or the shop. I don't think others that do this are neglectful but for me I just couldn't do it.
Back to top Go down
LisaGandAmelia

LisaGandAmelia

About Me!

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: Leaving your child sleeping in a car?   Leaving your child sleeping in a car? - Page 3 EmptyMon Dec 05, 2011 10:26 pm

I didn't leave Amelia in the car until she was nearly 2. When I went to get petrol I took her with me. I will now leave her whilst I pay for petrol but only if the queue is short. I'd also leave her whilst returning a shopping trolly if it's only a few steps away, and the same for the cash point. My fear of leaving her when asleep or out of ear shot is that she could choke. I'm a bit paranoid about it after she gave me a couple of scares when she was a baby. She'd be quite happy if I left her as she's not that clingy but I don't really have a need to leave her. It's not easy as a single mum but then she's very well behaved toddler 99% of the time and that helps no end.

I don't know why anyone would need to leave their toddler on their own in a car for 20 mins though. You would never forgive yourself if something happened. I mean if the child was choking no one would know and that would only take a matter of mins.
Back to top Go down
CarlaAndCallum

CarlaAndCallum

About Me!
My Name: Carla

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: Leaving your child sleeping in a car?   Leaving your child sleeping in a car? - Page 3 EmptyMon Dec 05, 2011 11:50 pm

I wouldnt leave callum if i couldnt see him.
I think ive done my petrol once when it was just me and callum and i left him in the car but normally do it when ohs in the car.

Back to top Go down
SuziandGracie

SuziandGracie

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: Leaving your child sleeping in a car?   Leaving your child sleeping in a car? - Page 3 EmptyTue Dec 06, 2011 12:52 am

i leave her to sleep in the car outside if i can park outside my house and il sit in dinning room so i can see her, i will leave her to nip into shop, petrol, trolley return and to pick up parcel from post office all because i will spend 5 mins getting her out 2 - 3 mins inside and then 5 mins putting her back in
Back to top Go down
*ShevAndLissieLou*

*ShevAndLissieLou*

About Me!
My Name:

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: Leaving your child sleeping in a car?   Leaving your child sleeping in a car? - Page 3 EmptyTue Dec 06, 2011 4:54 am

I got caught up in a thread on AB a couple of years ago which resulted in a lot of angry people, so have refrained from posting on this thread....but.....in the eyes of the child protection people even just leaving your child to go and pay for petrol is neglect Leaving your child sleeping in a car? - Page 3 548646
I however will leave Alyssa in the car to go to the cashpoint ie. 5-6 steps away, but round here there are no little shops only the co-op supermarket.
I always take her into the petrol station, but thats because its quite a big forecourt and I can't always see the car xx
Back to top Go down
XxCHARnNOAHxX

XxCHARnNOAHxX

About Me!
My Name: Charmaine

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: Leaving your child sleeping in a car?   Leaving your child sleeping in a car? - Page 3 EmptyTue Dec 06, 2011 5:48 am

I have left noah about twice whilst i have popped in a shop just to get milk but could always see him, i leave him in the seat if get petrol or cash point asleep or awake.

I would never leave him if i know i will be longer than 2 minutes, i wouldnt leave him in the car asleep on my drive if i was at home. If he is really tired i would take him in and put him in his cot as he wouldnt wake.

Char
Back to top Go down
Lisa
Admin
Lisa

About Me!

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: Leaving your child sleeping in a car?   Leaving your child sleeping in a car? - Page 3 EmptyTue Dec 06, 2011 10:20 am

*ShevAndLissieLou* wrote:
I got caught up in a thread on AB a couple of years ago which resulted in a lot of angry people, so have refrained from posting on this thread....but.....in the eyes of the child protection people even just leaving your child to go and pay for petrol is neglect Leaving your child sleeping in a car? - Page 3 548646
I however will leave Alyssa in the car to go to the cashpoint ie. 5-6 steps away, but round here there are no little shops only the co-op supermarket.
I always take her into the petrol station, but thats because its quite a big forecourt and I can't always see the car xx

It's actually VERY ambiguous like many laws ...trying finding any law that says that 'act' is child neglect is impossible ... I've yet to ever come accross a case of a parent being done for paying for petrol with a child in the car in the UK..and seeing as child neglect is not a black and white 'law' its not as simple as saying 'leaving your child in the car to pay for fuel is child neglect' ...why? because child neglect depends on whether the parents has left the child ''in a manner likely to cause unnecessary suffering or injury to health’ (Children and Young Person’s Act) - and there are many things that would be considered in every case.

If it were as simple as 'leaving your child in the car is child neglect and unlawful' ... there would be multiple court cases where parents are found guilty ...but there isn't so how in the eyes of Child Protection can it be child neglect...unless they know it happens yet still ignore it...hmmmmmm
Back to top Go down
http://www.babiesandall.co.uk
jessicar1990

jessicar1990

About Me!
My Name: Jessica

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: Leaving your child sleeping in a car?   Leaving your child sleeping in a car? - Page 3 EmptyTue Dec 06, 2011 11:10 am

I don' drive so have never really came into conact with this problem, but I do remember 2 occasions when this has com to mind. Once, when me and Andy were together, his mum was down, and Sophie had fellen asleep in the car, she was quite young, 1 or so, and his mum said 'are you going to leave Sophie asleep?' And I said NO rather angrily, like... What the hell??? we do have a drive at thw front of the house, and ?I could see her from the living room at all eimes, but In my mind, the risks of the car roling down the driveway, or her waking up and being panicked, her choking etc, were just too great.

The other thing, Once Me Sophie and a friend were on a train, and as we pulled into a station I could see a car with a cryng child inside alone, we mut have been there 5 minutes and no parent came to the child, there was n one at the car park machine... so i was really quite worried but what the hell was I supposed to do? If I'd have called the police they would have done nothing!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: Leaving your child sleeping in a car?   Leaving your child sleeping in a car? - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Leaving your child sleeping in a car?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Babies & All :: General Chat :: The Lounge-
Latest topics
» Spotting
Leaving your child sleeping in a car? - Page 3 Emptyby Marie-Pier Tue May 01, 2018 12:31 pm

» Help You Save The Expense Of Wedding Dress
Leaving your child sleeping in a car? - Page 3 Emptyby thefashion Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:09 pm

» Select from online wedding dress stores
Leaving your child sleeping in a car? - Page 3 Emptyby dfwre Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:52 pm

» A wide collection of Wedding Decoration Ideas
Leaving your child sleeping in a car? - Page 3 Emptyby sahalegail Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:29 pm

» Casual wedding dress in higher need?
Leaving your child sleeping in a car? - Page 3 Emptyby dfwre Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:18 pm

» An Amazing collection of Wedding Decoration
Leaving your child sleeping in a car? - Page 3 Emptyby sahalegail Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:12 pm

» Teddy Bears Picnic Party Supplies?
Leaving your child sleeping in a car? - Page 3 Emptyby sahalegail Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:39 am

» baby esme grace
Leaving your child sleeping in a car? - Page 3 Emptyby liberty Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:01 am

» For Sell:Stokke XPLORY Stroller/Bugaboo camel
Leaving your child sleeping in a car? - Page 3 Emptyby garyboatner Thu May 02, 2013 5:28 pm

» For Sell:Stokke XPLORY Stroller/Bugaboo camel
Leaving your child sleeping in a car? - Page 3 Emptyby garyboatner Thu May 02, 2013 5:27 pm

» Natures Sway Hammock & Stand
Leaving your child sleeping in a car? - Page 3 Emptyby Tell Wed May 01, 2013 8:22 pm

» Banda mobile
Leaving your child sleeping in a car? - Page 3 Emptyby EmVar Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:50 am

» is it enough at 10 weeks?
Leaving your child sleeping in a car? - Page 3 Emptyby char w Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:02 pm

» Merry Christmas
Leaving your child sleeping in a car? - Page 3 Emptyby Lisa Tue Dec 25, 2012 3:07 am

» Are Nativity Plays Still Compulsory?
Leaving your child sleeping in a car? - Page 3 Emptyby Emmylou Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:14 am

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Most Viewed Topics
Introduce Yourself!
September 2009 mummies
10 Illegal baby names
New Weight Watchers ProPoints plan explained.
Cheesy Party songs (90s)
say hello to the sun baby sensory song???
Whats the first thing you think of?
Banda Night In ladies (pics included)
pro points calculator
Most active topics
September 2009 mummies
Introduce Yourself!
Whats the first thing you think of?
Bin it or eat it
Change the letter.
Girls and boys names.
which one???
Count to a 1000 in words