Babies & All
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome PageSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog inHome

Share | 

Apparently I'm a terrible mother :P

View previous topic View next topic Go down 

Similar topics

+
AuthorMessage
MrsDebs

MrsDebs

About Me!
My Name: Debs
Number of Children: 2

Edit MY profile

Apparently I'm a terrible mother :P _
PostSubject: Apparently I'm a terrible mother :P   Apparently I'm a terrible mother :P EmptyFri Sep 03, 2010 12:37 am

I was having a chat with a friend the other day and thinking about all the 'rules' us mums are supposed to work by and how many I have broken and have come to the conclusion I must be an awful mother Shocked

- I didn't take folic acid until I found out I was pg
- I had the odd small glass of wine whilst pg
- I ate peanuts and and a little pate whilst pg
- I piled on weight in pg (4 stone for both Shocked )
- I didn't give my body enough time to recover before getting pg again (my doc said I should have waited at least 12 months)
- I only bf Thomas for 3 months and Hannah for 1 month
- I put Thomas in his own room at 3 months and Hannah will be going in tonight (not quite 3 months)
- I gave them both a bottle and a dummy before 4 weeks whilst bf (no nipple confusion here)
- I gave Thomas his first baby rice at 16 weeks Shocked
- I let Thomas try a wotsit and a teeny bit of chocolate at 6 months
- I let Thomas have some milky bar buttons at 9 months
- I let Thomas have his first try of maccys at 11 months and he has had it maybe once a month since affraid
- I never once bought Thomas a pair of clarkes shoes and have no intention of buying Hannah any either
- I let Thomas sit in his bumbo 2 days before he was 3 months just to be a rebel Razz (and just to follow suit I have let Hannah have a little try today Laughing )
- I gave Thomas a pillow at 10 months and a duvet at 11 months
- I switched Thomas onto cows milk at 11 1/2 months
- I don't have stair gates on and let Thomas go up and down stairs alone
- Thomas has loads of toys that are supposed to be for above his age
- I have let Thomas and Hannah watch TV from day one (neither are particularly interested tbh)

There are soooooo many official and unoficial 'rules' to parenting that it is a mine field and I could go on and on and on.

My kids are loved and cared for, they are very happy and very healthy and both learning and hitting milestones at the appropriate rate. What I have done is use my common sense and trust my own instincts and judgements. However I have found myself feeling guilty about some of the above and worrying no end about some of them. After my conversation the other day I asked myself why? I have never behaved irresponsibly with my children and never put them in any danger so I have made myself a promise, from this day on to stop feeling guilty and stop worrying. Everything I do I do with the best intentions for my kids so if i break a few silly 'rules' along the way then so be it.

Any other bad mummies out there? Wink (any rules I have forgotten to break?)

xx
Back to top Go down
LisaGandAmelia

LisaGandAmelia

About Me!
My Name: Lisa
Number of Children: 1

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: Apparently I'm a terrible mother :P   Apparently I'm a terrible mother :P EmptyFri Sep 03, 2010 12:46 am

Did you have any Tea, Coffee or Coke whilst PG or BF? I had 1 mocha Frappacino in Starbucks when I was 37 weeks and I got some vile looks! (I only had 1 cup of tea and that coffee throughout!)
I give Amelia a taste of my muffins, cupcakes and choccy biscuits if I have one, and sometimes she has her own.

I'm sure there are tons I've missed out and I've done a few from your list too! xxx
Back to top Go down
MrsDebs

MrsDebs

About Me!
My Name: Debs

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: Apparently I'm a terrible mother :P   Apparently I'm a terrible mother :P EmptyFri Sep 03, 2010 12:49 am

LisaGandAmelia wrote:
Did you have any Tea, Coffee or Coke whilst PG or BF? I had 1 mocha Frappacino in Starbucks when I was 37 weeks and I got some vile looks! (I only had 1 cup of tea and that coffee throughout!)
I give Amelia a taste of my muffins, cupcakes and choccy biscuits if I have one, and sometimes she has her own.

I'm sure there are tons I've missed out and I've done a few from your list too! xxx

affraid caffiene in pg? surely not!!! Lisa you rebel you! Wink Razz
Back to top Go down
Zee

Zee

About Me!
My Name: Zee

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: Apparently I'm a terrible mother :P   Apparently I'm a terrible mother :P EmptyFri Sep 03, 2010 1:03 am

I have never read or seen a rule book, I have just used my own judgement. I did wean at 17wks..I didn't do it sooner as it did scare me when I read it can be bad for a baby's digestive system and can cause allergies if weaned too early, but thats just me. I would have never forgive myself.

The TV is nearly always on in our house, although its not always kids TV..but he's really not that interested now..and I think thats because it is always on Laughing
We moved Oliver into his own room when he was 5mth, thats when we moved to a 2bed house.
He too had a dummy from 2wks old and defo no confusion her either. He gave his dummy up of his own accord at 9mth.

I also ate peanuts (but i'm not at high allergy risk) I had coffee and tea I ate burgers and loooooads of cheese throughout the whole of my pregnancy (even after a telling off from the MW)

Oliver does have chocolate and juice, pizza and cake. Since he's got older I am defiantly more relaxed with him..not that I was following 'rule/guidelines' before.

Back to top Go down
Lita
Admin
Lita

About Me!
My Name: Lita

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: Apparently I'm a terrible mother :P   Apparently I'm a terrible mother :P EmptyFri Sep 03, 2010 1:07 am

I am a terrible mother too then Laughing I broke all those rules apart from the alcohol one I reckon (only because I don't drink anyway). So what's the punishment then???? tongue
Back to top Go down

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: Apparently I'm a terrible mother :P   Apparently I'm a terrible mother :P EmptyFri Sep 03, 2010 1:09 am

im a really bad mum too.

braden had an easter egg at 7 months!!
maccy's at 8 months! and tbh we have one takeaway once every two weeks and he has it too!
i switched to cows milk at 9 months
he went into his own bedroom at 2 weeks old
he has millions of 3+ toys
i laugh when he falls over lol
he sits and watches a film maybe 3 times a week!
i let him play by himself
Dita had a little kfc chicken last night!!!!
she's tried mummy chocolate cheesecake lol
she hasnt had a bottle since she was 6 months
we dont bath her everyday
she went to her own bedroom at 3 weeks old
we have a cot bumper! lol
they both have juice!

tbh the list in probably endless, but we are happy, healthy, and they both get more then enough love!
x

p.s i had a pint a couple of times when preg, and glass of wine, and 2 coffees a day!
x
Back to top Go down
J1

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: Apparently I'm a terrible mother :P   Apparently I'm a terrible mother :P EmptyFri Sep 03, 2010 1:24 am

I am a bad mommy too!

pretty much everything on the list Debs and probably some more besides!
Back to top Go down
Kate

Kate

About Me!
My Name: Kate

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: Apparently I'm a terrible mother :P   Apparently I'm a terrible mother :P EmptyFri Sep 03, 2010 1:33 am

Excellent - I did most of these too Debs and yes i did have cappuccino in costa a few times! I also ate runny eggs with soldiers whilst pregnant as i got a bit of a taste for them.

Adiditionally LIly sometimes has biscuits and cake and has had mcdonalds twice and on a couple of occasions had a fruit shoot. She has also been exposed to daylight without factor 5 million plastered all over her and her skin did not melt.

Oh and she went in the door bouncer, walker etc all 'under age' Shocked
Back to top Go down
gemz

gemz

About Me!
My Name: gemma

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: Apparently I'm a terrible mother :P   Apparently I'm a terrible mother :P EmptyFri Sep 03, 2010 1:36 am

LisaGandAmelia wrote:

lol bless ya this made me giggle, what these people must think of me then, i couldnt function withput my morning cuppa well apart from 1st few months when i went right off it x

not even gonna start to list the 'rules' iv broken...but like the rest i use my own judgement...if babies were ment to have manuals youd get at at the hospital. As long as their loved and have their basic needs met, then with the rest do what you think and feel is right xx
Back to top Go down
LisaGandAmelia

LisaGandAmelia

About Me!
My Name: Lisa

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: Apparently I'm a terrible mother :P   Apparently I'm a terrible mother :P EmptyFri Sep 03, 2010 1:40 am

You've just reminded me of something Dave said when Amelia was born. When the MW said she was going to check my placenta Dave said was she checking it for Amelia's instruction manual! Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Back to top Go down
Mrs Cruise & Dee

Mrs Cruise & Dee

About Me!
My Name:
Number of Children: 3

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: Apparently I'm a terrible mother :P   Apparently I'm a terrible mother :P EmptyFri Sep 03, 2010 1:47 am

woohoo this list has made my day !!! his is something i dont feel comfortable admitting to some parents

i too am " guilty " of ALL listed above ,,, could probably throw in a few more of my own Smile

some baby forum members ( any site on net ) will be tut tut tutting at the likes of us but i am a firm believer in throwing out the manuals and guidlines ! instinct is your best friend !!! these are our children nobody elses !

my children ( 10, 9 and 1 ) are all happy and healthy !
i tend to think about our parents and grandparents ,,many of which grew old healthy and there was none of this " DONT DO /FEED/HOLD/ LIKE THAT BLAH BLAH BLAH )
i also am a believer in if you restrict too much from your children it will backfire in later life and they will indulge in the forbidden !

x x x
Back to top Go down
gemz

gemz

About Me!
My Name: gemma

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: Apparently I'm a terrible mother :P   Apparently I'm a terrible mother :P EmptyFri Sep 03, 2010 1:49 am

LisaGandAmelia wrote:
You've just reminded me of something Dave said when Amelia was born. When the MW said she was going to check my placenta Dave said was she checking it for Amelia's instruction manual! Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

pmsl well i did actually write, if babies were ment to have manuals theyd come out with the placenta lol but my phone crashed so re wrote it xx
Back to top Go down
GraceBean&Pip

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: Apparently I'm a terrible mother :P   Apparently I'm a terrible mother :P EmptyFri Sep 03, 2010 1:52 am

You guys, I now really need a burger Rolling Eyes (and fully intend to get one at the earliest opportunity Wink )
Back to top Go down
mandy

mandy

About Me!
My Name: Mandy

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: Apparently I'm a terrible mother :P   Apparently I'm a terrible mother :P EmptyFri Sep 03, 2010 2:03 am

I am probably the worst mother ever- but I really don't care

I smoked for 5 weeks when I was pregnant until I found out
I stopped taking folic acid at 8 weeks pregnant as it made me sick
I had 2 cups of coffee a day while pregnant and even drank coke
I had a couple of glasses of wine when pregnant
I went out for a night on the wine when Chloe was 6 weeks old and left her overnight for the first time when she was 3 months old!
I go out at least one evening a week with friends and leave her with Daddy
Me and Matt go out at least once a month and leave her with a babysitter
She had white choc at 6 months and has had a small piece of chocolate maybe once a week since she was a year
I let her eat a handful of crisps with her lunch
She has eaten McDonalds twice, she's had pizza and when we get fish and chips I get her fish cake and give her a few of my chips and mushy peas for her dinner
I go to work rather than being a SAHM

And do you know what she is healthy, extremely happy, active, she is the most unfussy eater you could ever meet and will eat absolutely anything. I can leave her with anyone safe in the knowledge she's not upset and knows mummy will always come back. I get so fed up with people saying ooh you shouldn't give her this or that, why the hell not??? I don't deny myself anything so why should I her, she is well cared for, eats a good healthy balanced diet with loads of fruit and veg, she gets to spend time with both her grandparents who love her to bits and me and Matt get time to be a couple too, which makes us better parents as we're happy. So I say tongue to anyone who sasys any different!
Back to top Go down
http://www.amandascakes.co.uk
CarlaAndCallum

CarlaAndCallum

About Me!
My Name: Carla

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: Apparently I'm a terrible mother :P   Apparently I'm a terrible mother :P EmptyFri Sep 03, 2010 2:49 am

I have broke nearly all them i didnt drink but i dont really anyway xx

add my own

I let callum sleep in wiv me when he wouldnt settle in his cot i dont regret it i managed to change it in the end
i dont sit down all day with callum i let him lil periods on his own to play
I let him have choccy treats sometime he also has tried mcdonalds

Basically what has been saidxx
Back to top Go down
Laura

Laura

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: Apparently I'm a terrible mother :P   Apparently I'm a terrible mother :P EmptyFri Sep 03, 2010 3:15 am

LMFAO!

I love this post Debs!

Jeez, I would be here all bloody day if listed everything I do/dont do.

x

Back to top Go down
~ Katie ~

~ Katie ~

About Me!
My Name: Katie
Number of Children: 3

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: Apparently I'm a terrible mother :P   Apparently I'm a terrible mother :P EmptyFri Sep 03, 2010 4:15 am

i must b the worst mum in the world because ive done all them too, and more besides Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes x
Back to top Go down
Mario

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: Apparently I'm a terrible mother :P   Apparently I'm a terrible mother :P EmptyFri Sep 03, 2010 4:52 am

See my guilt free parenting thread in group chat guys I started for a similar reason. Im a working mother affraid who has let c try chocolate and macD affraid and weaned her at 17 weeks :affraid

Theres more but i gotta go to work affraid
Back to top Go down
pinkyd

pinkyd

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: Apparently I'm a terrible mother :P   Apparently I'm a terrible mother :P EmptyFri Sep 03, 2010 5:05 am

i love the fact that everyone is so honest on here Apparently I'm a terrible mother :P Icon_biggrin in pg, i did nothing right, i didnt know i was pg and went away for the weekend and got absolutely hammered, i had terrible sickness through pg and ate virtually no fruit or veg, lived off ice lollies and carbs, plus i never gave up my diet coke!

i think most people dont do things by the book anyway theyre just too frightened to admit it, a girl from my bouncin babes was talking how she makes all her food fresh and would never buy jars, then i saw her in tesco's cramming the trolley with about 40, i was nice though and didn't say anything !
Back to top Go down
Suse

Suse

About Me!
My Name: Suse

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: Apparently I'm a terrible mother :P   Apparently I'm a terrible mother :P EmptyFri Sep 03, 2010 5:09 am

Haha I LOVE this thread!!!! Very Happy

I drink/drunk tea coffee whilst pg
Libby had a cot bumper
I started weaning at 16 weeks
We all have crappy food at least one a week affraid
Libby has a little treat every day (usually a few jazzles, she loves them!!)
I gave Libby peanut butter at about 10 months
And lots more....

BUT I never had peanuts Neutral I'm very tempted now to go and get a Snickers from the fridge!!! Oh and whats this about cheese? Are you not supposed to have it whilst pg Shocked
Back to top Go down
*Meg*

*Meg*

About Me!
My Name: Leah

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: Apparently I'm a terrible mother :P   Apparently I'm a terrible mother :P EmptyFri Sep 03, 2010 6:11 am

Laughing Laughing Laughing Great post - yes i am a bad mummy too. I have done most of the above. I agree that it gives them confidence if they try a bit of everything (food) and are left to play on their own sometimes. We all know a kid who has been wrapped up in cotton wool and now the parents cant understand why the child is so demanding and clingy Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes x
Back to top Go down
SuziandGracie

SuziandGracie

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: Apparently I'm a terrible mother :P   Apparently I'm a terrible mother :P EmptyFri Sep 03, 2010 6:14 am

I broke every rule going when i was pregnant

- 3 or 4 cups of coffee a day
- peanuts at christmas (Ok I was 35 weeks by then)
- Slept on tummy in early pregnancy (could never sleep on my back)
- Smoked til i was nearly 20 weeks ( I know im really bad on that one)

After she was born I was Baby led

- She was in Bumbo before 3 months she was a strong baby
- never used the baby bath
- weaned at 14weeks (hungry baby - 8 9oz hungry baby milk)
- cows milk at 11.5 months
- had half a jar of baby food from day 1 not just the tip of teaspoon
- baby door bouncer before 4 months (HV said this was fine if not for more than 10 mins a time)
- bathed at 3 days old not 7 (i hated the look of the skank on her)

basically you name it i broke it

I think I might win the BAD MUMMY OF THE YEAR AWARD
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: Apparently I'm a terrible mother :P   Apparently I'm a terrible mother :P Empty

Back to top Go down

Apparently I'm a terrible mother :P

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Babies & All :: General Chat :: The Lounge-
Latest topics
» Spotting
Apparently I'm a terrible mother :P Emptyby Marie-Pier Tue May 01, 2018 12:31 pm

» Help You Save The Expense Of Wedding Dress
Apparently I'm a terrible mother :P Emptyby thefashion Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:09 pm

» Select from online wedding dress stores
Apparently I'm a terrible mother :P Emptyby dfwre Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:52 pm

» A wide collection of Wedding Decoration Ideas
Apparently I'm a terrible mother :P Emptyby sahalegail Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:29 pm

» Casual wedding dress in higher need?
Apparently I'm a terrible mother :P Emptyby dfwre Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:18 pm

» An Amazing collection of Wedding Decoration
Apparently I'm a terrible mother :P Emptyby sahalegail Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:12 pm

» Teddy Bears Picnic Party Supplies?
Apparently I'm a terrible mother :P Emptyby sahalegail Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:39 am

» baby esme grace
Apparently I'm a terrible mother :P Emptyby liberty Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:01 am

» For Sell:Stokke XPLORY Stroller/Bugaboo camel
Apparently I'm a terrible mother :P Emptyby garyboatner Thu May 02, 2013 5:28 pm

» For Sell:Stokke XPLORY Stroller/Bugaboo camel
Apparently I'm a terrible mother :P Emptyby garyboatner Thu May 02, 2013 5:27 pm

» Natures Sway Hammock & Stand
Apparently I'm a terrible mother :P Emptyby Tell Wed May 01, 2013 8:22 pm

» Banda mobile
Apparently I'm a terrible mother :P Emptyby EmVar Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:50 am

» is it enough at 10 weeks?
Apparently I'm a terrible mother :P Emptyby char w Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:02 pm

» Merry Christmas
Apparently I'm a terrible mother :P Emptyby Lisa Tue Dec 25, 2012 3:07 am

» Are Nativity Plays Still Compulsory?
Apparently I'm a terrible mother :P Emptyby Emmylou Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:14 am

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Most Viewed Topics
Introduce Yourself!
September 2009 mummies
10 Illegal baby names
New Weight Watchers ProPoints plan explained.
Cheesy Party songs (90s)
say hello to the sun baby sensory song???
Whats the first thing you think of?
Banda Night In ladies (pics included)
pro points calculator
Most active topics
September 2009 mummies
Introduce Yourself!
Whats the first thing you think of?
Bin it or eat it
Change the letter.
Girls and boys names.
which one???
Count to a 1000 in words