Babies & All
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome PageSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog inHome

Share | 

Training a Toddler to Sleep In Longer

View previous topic View next topic Go down 

Similar topics

+
AuthorMessage
Laura

Laura

Edit MY profile

Training a Toddler to Sleep In Longer _
PostSubject: Training a Toddler to Sleep In Longer   Training a Toddler to Sleep In Longer EmptyTue Nov 02, 2010 10:09 pm

Aimee has slowly drifted (with the help of Daddy) back to getting up at 6am.

So, my aim is to 'train' her to start sleeping in until 7am again.

I did this when she was a younger baby and it worked a treat (although slighty different with dummies, etc).

It may sound cruel, but she is very good and doesnt get upset at all.

Right... here is my daily diary where I will detail what I am doing and her progress:

Monday 1st November
Woke up at 5.45am. I went in told her 'night night. Light. Gone' (words she understands). She went back to bed until 6.15am.
At 6.15am she wanted to get up again, but I put her back to bed and said the same to her. She got straight out and tried to open her door, I held the handle from the outside to stop her, and she took herself back off to bed (I sat outside for 15 mins to see listen to what she was doing, and if I heard her get out of bed, I said 'night night'. At 6.30 am I turned the landing light on, opened her door and said 'light on, you can get up'.

Tuesday 2nd November
Woke up at 6.30am (progress already!). I went in told her 'night night. Light. Gone' and tucked her back into bed and sat outside her room.
At 6.40am she wanted to get up again, but I put her back to bed and said the same to her. She got straight out and tried to open her door, I held the handle from the outside to stop her, and she took herself back off to bed for 5 minutes.
At 6.45am I turned the landing light on, opened her door and said 'light on, you can get up'.

So.... progress so far!!!

I will update you tomorrow with how she gets on. Last time I did it, she was much younger and it took me about 2 weeks of going in and putting her dummy in and sitting outside her bedroom.

I think she is doing really well and hopefully by the end of the week/early next week she will be a 7am toddler Very Happy again (maybe even later if I am lucky).

My OH is getting lay in's as he is useless when it comes to doing this and its him who lets her slip back into doing what she likes. Rolling Eyes

x
Back to top Go down
Suse

Suse

About Me!
My Name: Suse
Number of Children: 2

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: Training a Toddler to Sleep In Longer   Training a Toddler to Sleep In Longer EmptyTue Nov 02, 2010 10:13 pm

Oh wow progress after just one day - that's great!!!

Sounds really promising and you never know she might even go until 8am Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Laura

Laura

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: Training a Toddler to Sleep In Longer   Training a Toddler to Sleep In Longer EmptyTue Nov 02, 2010 10:21 pm

It would be lovely if she did. When I was on maternity leave she would go between 7pm and 8am. Hopefully we can get back to that x
Back to top Go down

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: Training a Toddler to Sleep In Longer   Training a Toddler to Sleep In Longer EmptyTue Nov 02, 2010 10:26 pm

Well done! Ive always had the rule of not getting up before 7am! Now Tayla sleeps in between 8-9am most days and rarely is up at 7am.
Sounds like your doing well Smile
Back to top Go down
Laura

Laura

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: Training a Toddler to Sleep In Longer   Training a Toddler to Sleep In Longer EmptyThu Nov 04, 2010 1:58 am

Well, there has been progress already:

Wendesday 3rd November - Day 3

Aimee woke up on her own at 6.50am. I went to her and said 'night night' but she didnt seem as keen to go back to bed at this time, so as she is doing so well, I didnt want to cause any upset, so I popped the light on and said 'light on, you can get up'.

I will report on her progress tomorrow x
Back to top Go down
Jade

Jade

About Me!
My Name: Jade
Number of Children: 1

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: Training a Toddler to Sleep In Longer   Training a Toddler to Sleep In Longer EmptySun Nov 07, 2010 4:33 am

what time does she go to bed and how much sleep does she have in the day?

Just out of interest as Tyler's an early waker too and would love for him to go to 7am!
Back to top Go down
tattyT

tattyT

About Me!
My Name: tattyT
Number of Children: 3

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: Training a Toddler to Sleep In Longer   Training a Toddler to Sleep In Longer EmptySun Nov 07, 2010 4:46 am

may b a long shot but I bought this for jaiden and it works a treat (he was a bugger for it)

http://www.gro.co.uk/Gro-clock.html

u set the time u want and tell her the story and dont 4get to tell dont get up untill the sun Goos luck hope something works out 4 u hun XXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Back to top Go down
Laura

Laura

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: Training a Toddler to Sleep In Longer   Training a Toddler to Sleep In Longer EmptySun Nov 07, 2010 5:08 am

mummajade wrote:
what time does she go to bed and how much sleep does she have in the day?

Just out of interest as Tyler's an early waker too and would love for him to go to 7am!

She goes to bed at 7pm and normally she has anything from 2-3 hours in the day (only in one nap around midday).

Tara, I think I will try that if it doesnt work after doing it this way.

Update for today:

Aimee woke up at 6.50am. She heard me going to her room and started running back to her bed shouting 'night night', lol!

I knew she wouldnt go back to sleep, so I got on her bed and stayed with her while she relaxed for 10 minutes. Then I asked her if she wanted to get up now and she dived out of bed and legged it downstairs.

Hopefully we will have a good morning tomorrow too!

x
Back to top Go down
Jade

Jade

About Me!
My Name: Jade

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: Training a Toddler to Sleep In Longer   Training a Toddler to Sleep In Longer EmptyMon Nov 08, 2010 12:14 am

that's about the same as Tyler then he doesn't understand much at the moment so I don't really know if that would work for me but the past 2 days he slept till atound 6.45 which is an improvement on 5.30 Smile
Back to top Go down
Laura

Laura

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: Training a Toddler to Sleep In Longer   Training a Toddler to Sleep In Longer EmptyMon Nov 08, 2010 3:52 am

Today she woke up at 7am, so I was pretty pleased with that.

I have ordered one of those Gro Clocks too and it will be here on Tuesday x
Back to top Go down
Zee

Zee

About Me!
My Name: Zee

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: Training a Toddler to Sleep In Longer   Training a Toddler to Sleep In Longer EmptyMon Nov 08, 2010 9:29 am

Sounds like she's doing well Very Happy

My LO tends to sleep to 7.30-8am but on the odd occasion he does wake up at 6.30ish, but I don't go to him until 7am earliest.

I was going to try one of them Gro clocks too, they look like a good idea, but i'm currently trying the cheaper option lol, He has some little giraffe lights (like fairy lights but giraffes Laughing ) in his room and i've pluged them up to one of those electronic timers..so they come on at 7.30 atm, in the hope that he'll twig onto 'the lights are on - its time to wake up' Laughing We do it at nap time too. So when he does twig i'll shift it to 8am (he goes to bed at 8pm so 12hrs is good going Very Happy )
Back to top Go down
Laura

Laura

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: Training a Toddler to Sleep In Longer   Training a Toddler to Sleep In Longer EmptyTue Nov 09, 2010 5:45 am

That is a great idea Zee, I am sure that the lights will work just as well as a Gro Clock.

Aimee was up at 6.45 again this morning, so its not too bad.

I am going to get her Gro Clock delivered tomorrow so will see how that works over the next week or two x
Back to top Go down
Laura

Laura

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: Training a Toddler to Sleep In Longer   Training a Toddler to Sleep In Longer EmptyTue Nov 16, 2010 9:02 pm

Well, it seems to have worked a treat!

Yesterday she didnt wake up until 7.40am.

Today she woke up at 7.05am, which I am pleased with.

I have got the Gro Clock, which also seems to be helping. She is too young to understand the book that comes with it, but I just turn it on at night and we watch the sun turn to a star, and we say 'night night'.

Hopefully things will continue to go this way!

I might even start putting it back 5 mins every week - but dont want to push my luck, lol!

x
Back to top Go down
Mario

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: Training a Toddler to Sleep In Longer   Training a Toddler to Sleep In Longer EmptyWed Nov 17, 2010 1:15 am

I'd like to get ca gro clock but think shes too little to understand the concept. Shes up anything from 6 ro 630. Some days its 545. Ocasioanlly she will have a bottle and go ack til 715but its only half the time, rest of time i put her in bed with us and she lies playing til 715 but wont sleep. Id like to try the method you are using but i i went in and said go back to sleep she would just scream cos ive tried it on many occasions
Back to top Go down
Laura

Laura

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: Training a Toddler to Sleep In Longer   Training a Toddler to Sleep In Longer EmptyWed Nov 17, 2010 2:05 am

Aimee has also had days where she has screamed, so I have just put her back into bed and layed there with her... refusing to let her go down stairs until a suitable hour.

It sounds mean, but it has (seems to) worked x
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: Training a Toddler to Sleep In Longer   Training a Toddler to Sleep In Longer Empty

Back to top Go down

Training a Toddler to Sleep In Longer

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Babies & All :: Children & Parenting :: Toddler Talk-
Latest topics
» Spotting
Training a Toddler to Sleep In Longer Emptyby Marie-Pier Tue May 01, 2018 12:31 pm

» Help You Save The Expense Of Wedding Dress
Training a Toddler to Sleep In Longer Emptyby thefashion Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:09 pm

» Select from online wedding dress stores
Training a Toddler to Sleep In Longer Emptyby dfwre Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:52 pm

» A wide collection of Wedding Decoration Ideas
Training a Toddler to Sleep In Longer Emptyby sahalegail Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:29 pm

» Casual wedding dress in higher need?
Training a Toddler to Sleep In Longer Emptyby dfwre Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:18 pm

» An Amazing collection of Wedding Decoration
Training a Toddler to Sleep In Longer Emptyby sahalegail Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:12 pm

» Teddy Bears Picnic Party Supplies?
Training a Toddler to Sleep In Longer Emptyby sahalegail Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:39 am

» baby esme grace
Training a Toddler to Sleep In Longer Emptyby liberty Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:01 am

» For Sell:Stokke XPLORY Stroller/Bugaboo camel
Training a Toddler to Sleep In Longer Emptyby garyboatner Thu May 02, 2013 5:28 pm

» For Sell:Stokke XPLORY Stroller/Bugaboo camel
Training a Toddler to Sleep In Longer Emptyby garyboatner Thu May 02, 2013 5:27 pm

» Natures Sway Hammock & Stand
Training a Toddler to Sleep In Longer Emptyby Tell Wed May 01, 2013 8:22 pm

» Banda mobile
Training a Toddler to Sleep In Longer Emptyby EmVar Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:50 am

» is it enough at 10 weeks?
Training a Toddler to Sleep In Longer Emptyby char w Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:02 pm

» Merry Christmas
Training a Toddler to Sleep In Longer Emptyby Lisa Tue Dec 25, 2012 3:07 am

» Are Nativity Plays Still Compulsory?
Training a Toddler to Sleep In Longer Emptyby Emmylou Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:14 am

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Most Viewed Topics
Introduce Yourself!
September 2009 mummies
10 Illegal baby names
New Weight Watchers ProPoints plan explained.
say hello to the sun baby sensory song???
Cheesy Party songs (90s)
Whats the first thing you think of?
Banda Night In ladies (pics included)
pro points calculator
Most active topics
September 2009 mummies
Introduce Yourself!
Whats the first thing you think of?
Bin it or eat it
Change the letter.
Girls and boys names.
which one???