Babies & All
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome PageSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog inHome

Share | 

returning to work advice

View previous topic View next topic Go down 

Similar topics

+
AuthorMessage
pinkyd

pinkyd

Edit MY profile

returning to work advice _
PostSubject: returning to work advice   returning to work advice EmptyTue Aug 17, 2010 11:28 pm

i'm going into work tomorrow to request new hours when i return in January. i usually work as a team of 2 as a training consultant but have been reliably informed that they arent going to offer me my position back as they only want 1. Can they do this? If they only want one can i not go for that position? secondly they are going to offer me another position as a team manager and i really don't want to do it, can I decline?

Back to top Go down
Donna
Admin
Donna

About Me!
My Name: Donna
Number of Children: 0

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: returning to work advice   returning to work advice EmptyTue Aug 17, 2010 11:29 pm

Am not sure really. I would ring the HR department up and ask them first so you know where you stand xxx
Back to top Go down

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: returning to work advice   returning to work advice EmptyWed Aug 18, 2010 12:43 am

If you have been off for less than 6 months (I think that is right) they have to offer you your old job back if it is more than 6 months but less than a year they have to offer you an equivalent job (same level and pay etc) but not necessarily the same job.

Kate1975 will know
Back to top Go down
Lisa
Admin
Lisa

About Me!
My Name: Lisa
Number of Children: 1

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: returning to work advice   returning to work advice EmptyWed Aug 18, 2010 2:52 am

I thought it was the 9 months - as in the bit we get paid for 'Ordinary Leave', and then if you take the extra 3 months Additional Leave then they have the option to give you another job?

Yes Kate is the best about this kind of thing
Back to top Go down
http://www.babiesandall.co.uk
Kate

Kate

About Me!
My Name: Kate

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: returning to work advice   returning to work advice EmptyWed Aug 18, 2010 5:16 am

You have the right to return on the same terms and conditions to the same job, this now applies regardless of whether you have taken ordinary mat leave or additional. If they are not giving you your job back then the employer has to show that its not reasonalbly practicable to do so - ie the job does not exist anymore. I would say they are on dodgy ground here as if the job does not exist they should have contacted you to consult in terms of redundancy even tho you were on maternity leave.

If there are 2 of you and th eonly need one then I would ask how they selected you as the 'redundant' one as in effect this is what they are saying. Is the job that you think they are offering you on the same pay etc?

It may be that they suspect that you will be asking for a change in hours and they may then say you cant have it in your current job but you could if you moved to this new job. This would be legitimate for them to make you such an offer but you cannot be compelled to accept it.

If you want any more info then let me know.

Back to top Go down
pinkyd

pinkyd

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: returning to work advice   returning to work advice EmptyWed Aug 18, 2010 5:34 am

thanks for that its a great help, the new job is exactly the same pay and benefits, its to cover when another girl's on maternity, she's coming back pt too so i think the plan is to do a job share. What would happen if i declined the position?
Back to top Go down
Kate

Kate

About Me!

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: returning to work advice   returning to work advice EmptyWed Aug 18, 2010 5:40 am

You could decline it and stay in your current post on your current (presumably full time) hours. Have you made a formal request under the flexible working legislation as then they have to reply to you in writing and in set timescales if they refuse it. They should also give you a reason if htey turn down your request to change hours in your current job.
Back to top Go down
pinkyd

pinkyd

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: returning to work advice   returning to work advice EmptyThu Aug 19, 2010 4:16 am

well ive been into work, theyve said i won't be able to continue with my current role as there isnt a business need for 2 people in that position, however redundancy isn't a possibility?? . i was offered a team managers job as a job share but i can't work specific days, it has to be rotational, this isnt feasible as my husband has to work set days in his job and the nursery has to be set days too, any further advice please?
Back to top Go down
Kate

Kate

About Me!

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: returning to work advice   returning to work advice EmptyThu Aug 19, 2010 9:02 am

Erm this sounds weird! I would act all confused and ask them to put the options to you in writing so that you can make a decision. If your current role is not there any more then surely the post must be redundant?? They could then offer you the new role as an alternative on a trial etc but it would have to be on the same hours etc as your current role. If you get something in writing then feel free to send it on to me and i will help you do a reply x
Back to top Go down
Vicki

Vicki

About Me!
My Name: Vicki

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: returning to work advice   returning to work advice EmptyThu Aug 19, 2010 8:58 pm

that does not sound right to me, but i was told (also in my contract) that on returning from mat leave if my position was no longer avaliable they still had to give me an equal paid job in a similar role, but i personaly think that if there is only one position then you should be entitiled to apply for it, hope you get things sorted xxx
Back to top Go down
pinkyd

pinkyd

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: returning to work advice   returning to work advice EmptySat Aug 21, 2010 4:06 am

Kate1975 wrote:
Erm this sounds weird! I would act all confused and ask them to put the options to you in writing so that you can make a decision. If your current role is not there any more then surely the post must be redundant?? They could then offer you the new role as an alternative on a trial etc but it would have to be on the same hours etc as your current role. If you get something in writing then feel free to send it on to me and i will help you do a reply x

Thanks Kate, is it right that they can refuse me working specific days just because i'm at managerial level, people at lower levels in the company who have recently returned to work have set days . I would move to a lower level position if this was the case but they have said I wouldn't retain my salary .
Back to top Go down
Kate

Kate

About Me!

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: returning to work advice   returning to work advice EmptySat Aug 21, 2010 8:30 am

Unfortunately they can pretty much do what they like as the legislation has not got much weight behind it. You have a legal right to request flexible working but they can legitimately reject it for several reasons see htis link for info http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employment/Employees/Flexibleworking/DG_171775

In your case if they refuse your request for set days you have a right of appeal but they may stick to their guns. They can offer you the opportunity to step down to a lower level post and if you accept this they are not obliged to protect your pay at the higher level as it is your choice.

If you havent already done so then i would put your request in writing, there is a template for doing so on the site i mentioned previously. Am happy to help you if needed. I would still insist that they confirm to you in writing the reason why your current post is no longer available as this sounds well dodgy to me!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Edit MY profile

PostSubject: Re: returning to work advice   returning to work advice Empty

Back to top Go down

returning to work advice

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Babies & All :: General Chat :: The Lounge-
Latest topics
» Spotting
returning to work advice Emptyby Marie-Pier Tue May 01, 2018 12:31 pm

» Help You Save The Expense Of Wedding Dress
returning to work advice Emptyby thefashion Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:09 pm

» Select from online wedding dress stores
returning to work advice Emptyby dfwre Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:52 pm

» A wide collection of Wedding Decoration Ideas
returning to work advice Emptyby sahalegail Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:29 pm

» Casual wedding dress in higher need?
returning to work advice Emptyby dfwre Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:18 pm

» An Amazing collection of Wedding Decoration
returning to work advice Emptyby sahalegail Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:12 pm

» Teddy Bears Picnic Party Supplies?
returning to work advice Emptyby sahalegail Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:39 am

» baby esme grace
returning to work advice Emptyby liberty Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:01 am

» For Sell:Stokke XPLORY Stroller/Bugaboo camel
returning to work advice Emptyby garyboatner Thu May 02, 2013 5:28 pm

» For Sell:Stokke XPLORY Stroller/Bugaboo camel
returning to work advice Emptyby garyboatner Thu May 02, 2013 5:27 pm

» Natures Sway Hammock & Stand
returning to work advice Emptyby Tell Wed May 01, 2013 8:22 pm

» Banda mobile
returning to work advice Emptyby EmVar Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:50 am

» is it enough at 10 weeks?
returning to work advice Emptyby char w Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:02 pm

» Merry Christmas
returning to work advice Emptyby Lisa Tue Dec 25, 2012 3:07 am

» Are Nativity Plays Still Compulsory?
returning to work advice Emptyby Emmylou Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:14 am

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Most Viewed Topics
Introduce Yourself!
September 2009 mummies
10 Illegal baby names
New Weight Watchers ProPoints plan explained.
Cheesy Party songs (90s)
say hello to the sun baby sensory song???
Whats the first thing you think of?
Banda Night In ladies (pics included)
pro points calculator
Most active topics
September 2009 mummies
Introduce Yourself!
Whats the first thing you think of?
Bin it or eat it
Change the letter.
Girls and boys names.
which one???
Count to a 1000 in words